The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:45:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Archaic Technical. Repairing my D104  (Read 2192 times)
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« on: March 24, 2013, 08:04:35 AM »

After bemoaning the demise of my dropped from desk mike in a past thread, I decided to go after it again.

I'd tried heating the front bead of the diaphragm to crystal connecting rod/link, resoldering and all sorts of stuff before.  Thought that whatever I'd try I couldn't damage it any more anyway.  -Extremely distorted, weak signal and very disheartening to listen to.

So I cut away the rubber bead. It stlll had flexibility so that's why I thought it was still ok all along and that the internal, behind the diaphragm, link was the one probably broken.

Clamped hemostats on the front link of the element, hung it with about a one pound weight to put tension pulling on the crystal thus eventually "loading" the diaphragm and then re-beaded with silicon RTV. Let dry for 24 hrs. or so.

It worked. Even though the front bead was found still pliable, it must have lost its bond to the link when the mike fell on the floor.

Checked audio on "hear here" windows control panel.  Checked on the air with Glen WA3GPE on 40 via my audio modified 32V2 and it sounded as good as it ever did.  The element is in a standard UG8 stand now so I'll probably place it back in the modified stand with the MPF-102 follower I'd built some years ago.

I was very surprised this fix worked and part of it has to be luck since D104 element repairs are very 'iffy.' Not sure the preloading before new bond had anything to do with it either. RTV is flexible enough that loading probably left.

If you try this, be careful removing the old black rubber bead. I put a small dent in the diaphragm but this doesn't seem to affect the audio.

RICK  *W3RSW*
MikeKE0ZUinkcmo

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 07:05:56 AM »

Congratulations!! 

Its nice to win one once in a while.   I have 3 or 4 of them and think they are a nice microphone.

Mike KE0ZU

Bold Text and PICS are usually links

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015