The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 06:46:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Viking Valiant 1 Safely Indoors - Spine has a Nice Z twist in it now  (Read 4456 times)
ka4koe
Contributing

It's alive. IT'S ALIVE!!!

« on: March 16, 2013, 11:33:18 PM »

Purchased my first true boatachor today from Liz, K4GHT. Its a Johnson Viking Valant 1; 85 pounds of 50's vintage radio transmitter. I managed to get it from the truck into the house today. Sheri K4SMN will have to help me get it upstairs. I'm feeling it right now even though I picked it up the correct way.

Not in too bad a shape cosmetically..a few scuffs here and there, but my left hip hurts now. I'll be paying for this power lift tomorrow.

Philip
KA4KOE

I'm outta control, plain and simple. Now I have a broadcast transmitter.
KA2DZT

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 03:18:29 AM »

Good luck with the Viking.  Try to get some help moving the rig.

I know the feeling, I've been moving tool boxes around today.

Fred
w1vtp

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 12:42:10 PM »

Make friends with a couple of strapping football players from your local high school

Grin

Al
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 06:51:56 PM »

Get a 2 wheel cart like those used to move appliances.  Saves backs and people from getting hernias
WQ9E

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 07:21:48 PM »

Get a 2 wheel cart like those used to move appliances.  Saves backs and people from getting hernias

The 2 wheel cart is definitely a great item to have when moving heavy gear.  If you don't get a true appliance type (which comes with a good strapping system) buy some straps to secure the item in case your cart takes an unexpected turn or tilt.  I have been thinking about getting a hydraulic lift cart which would also be very handy at times to move stuff around and into place.

Of course timing is everything.   5 or 6 years ago at a hamfest I bought a Hallicrafters HT-33 (twin 4CX300 amp) and not more than 5 minutes after I horsed it down and through the basement walkout my neighboring farmer's two sons stopped by to say hi.  They were high school defensive linemen and would have really been helpful in moving the 100 plus pound amp into place.

Rodger WQ9E
KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 07:38:13 PM »

Not in too bad a shape cosmetically..a few scuffs here and there, but my left hip hurts now.

So, how does the radio look?  Grin

Bill KA8WTK
WA3VJB
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 08:56:34 PM »

Bill you've got fast fingers.

Here I was typing, saying he's already got TWO women helping him with that transmitter, he's got a twist in his spine somehow, and gets a-talking about how the women look from whatever angle he's observing.

I'd overlook the scuffs, here and there,

wherever, actually.

huh-HA !
ka4koe
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 09:00:03 PM »

Not bad shape at all, few scuffs here and there. Sheri K4SMN said it was pretty.

ka4koe
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 08:05:06 AM »

The radio is in good cosmetic condition. The case is repainted grey that matches the rest of the case, but done so well you wouldn't know it if you were unaware the correct color is Maroon. The front has a couple of scuffs, one on the crystal cover knob and one on the VFO bezel. Also, the silk screening is worn off around the lettering on the HV switch. A couple of small dymo labels have been applied, again not too bad. The overall condition of the front is good.

The chassis inside looks fairly clean but not shiny.

I got a couple of 866AS-1 solid state rectifier replacements in the deal (Taylor brand). I think they were obtained from RF Parts.

Need to get a dow key relay and button up my R388 after the dial cord replacement comes in the mail.

I went ahead and got the Valiant 1 over a 32V* as the asking price was too good to pass up. The transmitter is fully operational with no known problems. AM audio mods already performed prior to my obtaining the unit.

Philip
KA4KOE

ka4koe
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 10:33:51 PM »

Here it is.

Philip
KA4KOE

* valiant (1280x853).jpg (541.8 KB, 1280x853 - viewed 404 times.)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015