The AM Forum
May 14, 2024, 09:56:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Transmitter Hunt  (Read 4701 times)
ka4koe
Contributing

It's alive. IT'S ALIVE!!!

« on: February 28, 2013, 11:38:50 AM »

Looks like the Valiant 1 is not going to be a "go". Any opinions on these radios?

Valiant 2
Viking 2
Any Collins 32V*
Hammy HX-50

or anything that squirts out at least 100 watts carrier. The idea is to NOT use an outboard amplifier.

Budget is 750 or less.

Thanks

PHILIP KA4KOE

I'm outta control, plain and simple. Now I have a broadcast transmitter.
WA2ROC
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 12:01:00 PM »

I like my Viking II with a 122 VFO.  Got the pair for $200.00 in fully operational status.  Puts out at least 100 watts resting carrier.  Several mods can be made to get "better" audio but mine is just about stock.  I did replace audio coupling caps with larger values,  (maybe too large)

I use an Astatic 10C mike but a D-104 works well in you replace audio in resistor to ground with at least 5 meg, 10 meg better.

Keep in mind that the Hammy HX-50 is SSB and CW with "sort-of AM" thrown to satisfy the folks that still used AM in the '70's.  It's one sideband with injected carrier (maybe DSB, can't remember)  We had one at school with an HQ-180 and it's 60 watts SSB worked well but needed some amplification to really cover the world.

Dick Pettit WA2ROC 
Vintage Heathkit Equipment
If You Cannot Stand Behind Our Troops, Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them!
K9PNP

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 02:54:21 PM »

Will agree with Dick on the Viking II.  Also have one with the 122 VFO.  Mine is not pretty externally since it was stored in a bad place for some time, but works well.  Did some changes to the audio chain, but nothing major.  And, it will load almost anything.  Also passes the brick on the key test without melting down as long as it is tuned correctly.

73,  Mitch

Since 1958. There still is nothing like tubes to keep your coffee warm in the shack.

Vulcan Theory of Troubleshooting:  Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
KL7OF

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 03:49:15 PM »

Viking 1 or 2 is a good transmitter...easy to work on...100 watts nominal..not expensive to acquire....works very well in stock form...lots of good mods out there if you want to tinker...
  The 32 V is a good transmitter...harder to work on... more expensive than Johnson....works well in stock form...Lots of mods if you want to tinker...heavy.....I have examples  of both......Good luck....Steve
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 04:03:02 PM »

V-1 or V-II, they are almost the same rig; B&W 5100B over the 5100; Heath Apache over the DX-100; 32V2 over the others, HT-9 if you want only one band or are up to making and changing coils, arguably the finest sounding commercial ham TX ever made for AM....unrestricted audio to well beyond 5 kc per sideband.

HT-37 as the AM is superb BUT needs an amp, same with the GSB-100 which is also a phasing rig. Both are cheap and a Clipperton L, SB-1000/AL-80A, LK-450, or similar amp will leave you money to spare. The CE-100V/200V alone is at the limit of your price range and its only 20-25W out on AM but sounds almost like a BCB rig.

ALL the vintage gear will need to be recapped, out of tolerance resistors replaced, etc. These are not Plug n Play in as found condition.

Carl
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 04:59:49 PM »

V2

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 07:25:16 PM »

Skip the valiant. It has to be one of the worst ever made.  They can run ok but will require a new loading caps to get rid of the idiotic Star capapacitor and or new wafer switches from pervious ops HOT switching the knob. The valiant manual does not tell you to turn B+ off and as a result, Operators thought you just turned the knob under full load.  This of course arc'd that hell out of the contacts.

The VFO has a fault and then, you have to deal with the HV fil wires shorting. Then, After all of that, They sound like complete hell and will need mods to sound decent.  I have had 5 and still have one here I use on 160. I leave it alone, Turn it on, Talk on it and turn it off. So far so good.  Never again. I am done with them.

My Favorite is the Globe Champion 300, or 350.  I have two.  Both always work and never give any trouble. They make 200 to 225 carrier and have tons of audio.  Only a few sore spots like old worn relays and SR rectifiers.  Simple fixes.  Chassis is wide open so they are very very easy to work on. The tubes are available for about $50 each but I found I never needed any.  Both rigs I have use the original tubes and still do full power.

Drawback,  They are harder to find that any of the rigs you listed.

C
MikeKE0ZUinkcmo

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 06:33:20 AM »

GSB-100 here driving an NCL-2000, lots of good audio comments.   They're inexpensive, easy to work on, plenty stable, and, you have ALL mode capability.

Mike KE0ZU

Bold Text and PICS are usually links

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 09:37:42 AM »

For price and repair, you can't beat the Viking. It's the perfect starting point and there are plenty around.

The 32V is an excellent rig - sounds great, is easy to tune and operate, and virtually bullet-proof once gone through properly. If not, working on it can be a real bear due to the proverbial 10 pounds of....stuff crammed into a 5 pound bag. And though they have come down in price like everything else, they still cost a lot more than a Viking.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WA3VJB
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 11:13:35 AM »

The Heathkit DX100(B) sounds good stock, is easy to work on and modify since it was a kit anyway, and for your money you can probably get a really premium example plus a spare parts unit and a set of new tubes.

I have a 32V2 that I like very much, but that model (and most of the senior Collins models) has got a collector factor in the price tag. 

KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 04:35:03 PM »

The HT-37 is another fine sounding phasing AM rig and cheap and the HT-32 series of filter rigs also sound nice.

The CE100V and 200V are superb and the 100V gives you U/L/Both choices on AM. A bit pricey but new 160 kits are available.

For the cheeep (frugal) among us get a 20A or even a 10A/10B if you dont mind changing coils. A NCL-2000, T-Bolt, or similar tetrode amp will give a 300-400W carrier but those dont cover 160.
Jim/WA2MER
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 07:45:51 PM »

If you can live without 160 Meters (and since you included the 32V I guess that you can), I think the Heathkit Apache is a great value.  if you do the W3SCC audio mod, which is quite simple, you'll have a decent sounding AM rig for small bux.  Hell, you should be able to buy an Apache and a 32V for the budget number you threw out in your OP.  My Apache is a keeper.

I've owned a Valiant and two 32V-2s in the past.  The 32V series are great radios, subject to the comments that have already been made about them.  As for the Valiant, I hated it.  Drifty, lousy stock audio, three thousand screws to remove the cabinet and a flimsy chassis that's too light for the amount of iron it has to support.  Go to the AM Window site and look at the two sets of mods for the Valiant...that should tell you something.  About the nicest thing I can say about the Valiant is that it's butt-ugly.

Carl mentioned the 100V.  It's my favorite rig.  Great sounding audio on AM and SSB, very stable, no tune QSY, all modes, etc.  They're a fairly complex radio compared to its contemporaries but if mine is typical if the breed they're very reliable.  A nice working example can be pricey.  The downside is low power on AM.

Enjoy the hunt.

Jim

Anything worth doing is worth doing to excess.
Since you have to die anyway, you might as well die from something you like.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015