The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:37:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 3880 Carrier  (Read 14667 times)
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2013, 01:07:02 PM »

When I call it a night and go QRT one of the items in my shutdown list is grounding or disconnecting all the feedlines.  I don't know why but I guess it is just a precaution I made a habit of many years ago.  I might be overly protective of my gear I guess, but some of it is stuff I'd have a hard time replacing if at all.  I guess the carrier might have to be DFed.  Maybe the op fell asleep.  Hope nothing worse happened.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2013, 01:38:47 PM »

I am sorry Mike. You are wrong this time bud.  It was an epidemic with the Flex radio.  There was a situation where if you powered down the rig, it would key up the last mode it was on. If it was SSB, Nobody noticed as there was no audio and little no power output. But on AM, It would carrier all night long.  I am sure there where cirumstances that had to be met on setup and hardware for this to happen, Software or hardware updates fixed it I believe. I remember talk of some relay issue.

Its been years since this was happening so maybe the person here has an older 5000 and he or she does not even know the radio is on and throwing a carrier.  We all sat there talking over the top of carriers from the guys that owned those radios after they went to bed.

C

There was no epidemic. That's just plain silly. As Bruce pointed out, back in the early days of the SDR-1000, there were some report cases of a failed relay that could cause the transmitter to stay in a locked position (with possibly some miniscule power) if the computer or PowerSDR were shut down. The Flex 1500, 3000, and 5000 circuitry are totality different and if PowerSDR or the computer is shut down or locked up, the rigs will not transmit. In looking at the schematics for the Flex 5000, I can see no way for that rig to transmit without PowerSDR and the computer running.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WA3VJB
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2013, 02:38:41 PM »

Saaaaaaay...

If it's gonna do weird stuff like this, aaaaaah dunnno,

I wouldn't be very smug and I don't think I ought to buy one after alllll..

kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2013, 03:02:37 PM »

When I call it a night and go QRT one of the items in my shutdown list is grounding or disconnecting all the feedlines.  I don't know why but I guess it is just a precaution I made a habit of many years ago.  I might be overly protective of my gear I guess, but some of it is stuff I'd have a hard time replacing if at all.  I guess the carrier might have to be DFed.  Maybe the op fell asleep.  Hope nothing worse happened.

That's ok if you're worried about lightning strikes. But doing that really doesn't make much sense in this case, unless you enjoy replacing the finals in your rigs. Wouldn't it be easier just to make sure everything was powered off?

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2013, 04:11:33 PM »

Wouldn't it be easier just to make sure everything was powered off?

Grin

W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2013, 04:18:21 PM »

This carrier could be nothing more than a ham burning in a new rig, and thinking it was on dummy when it actually is going to antenna. Lips sealed

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
Edward Cain
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2013, 04:24:46 PM »

Who's the dummy? Smiley
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2013, 10:21:43 AM »

...The Flex 1500, 3000, and 5000 circuitry are totality different and if PowerSDR or the computer is shut down or locked up, the rigs will not transmit. In looking at the schematics for the Flex 5000, I can see no way for that rig to transmit without PowerSDR and the computer running.

That's correct Pete. Unlike the SDR-1000, the 1500/3000/5000 all do their A to D and D to A internally. PowerSDR is the "exciter" and generates the low-level signal. Without the software running, all three current models are simply dumb boxes that can do nothing. All the smugness comes from PowerSDR...

:O)

Rob W1AEX

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2013, 11:19:16 AM »

This carrier could be nothing more than a ham burning in a new rig, and thinking it was on dummy when it actually is going to antenna. Lips sealed

73DG

you are spot on!!
Like the audio people who like to burn-in a tube amplifier to get all of the components to spec.
Somebody has a new TX they want to make sure it is ready for the rough service days ahead.
Commercial Cellular companies may request burn-in on new amps they use for reliability issues.

Fred KC4MOP
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2013, 12:51:19 PM »

Most likely is that someone wanted to see how much attention they could get.

Shocked

kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2013, 01:01:16 PM »

I think listening to a carrier with no audio would be more interesting than the conversation about toilets that I'm listening to on 40 meter ssb right now.  Roll Eyes  Huh

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2013, 01:18:00 PM »

I think listening to a carrier with no audio would be more interesting than the conversation about toilets that I'm listening to on 40 meter ssb right now.  Roll Eyes  Huh

Toilet design can be a fascinating topic of conversation akin to hole migration on a semiconductor substrate or radiation efficiency of a water stray hose antenna or why some toe nails curve in a particular direction.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015