The AM Forum
May 08, 2024, 06:26:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Audio filters......  (Read 2251 times)
RolandSWL
Contributing

« on: February 12, 2013, 11:35:59 AM »

Hi All,

Is there any virtue in external audio filters such as those made by Datong, Autek,NIR, etc.

I understand that they are usefull for C.W. reception but how about A.M.?

Thanks, Roland
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 12:01:18 PM »

My casual observation is that they are great for narrow bandwidth modes but they turn modes like AM to mud. When I listened more seriously to the VLF beacons using an older Autek audio filter it was possible to easily hear weak ones that there was no trace of without the filter. Not exactly a scientific answer to your question but it's the best I've got!

:O)

Rob W1AEX

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
WQ9E

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 01:36:13 PM »

I really like the Autek QF-1A for CW.  I have several and the one connected to my SX-88 gets used for hetrodyne removal on AM (no notch filter in the SX-88) and the low pass function is somewhat useful also on AM. But I agree with Rob that it really shines on narrow band modes.  My Drake R-4C and Autek QF-1A are my favorite combo for pulling out weak CW on 160 and 80.

Rodger WQ9E
RolandSWL
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 07:11:09 PM »

Thanks for the info.

I noticed the Autek QF-1A epay price went up four fold since last month.

Seasonal thing?
WQ9E

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 07:27:36 PM »

Ebay pricing often defies simple logic.  A few years ago SX-100 receiver were breaking 4 figures and recently I saw one of the Heathkit novice transmitters sell for just under $300 (no, it wasn't still in kit form).  The Autek filters seem to maintain a fairly high price (at least to me) on ebay but both the QF-1A (has an auxiliary notch filter) and the original QF-1 are both common hamfest items.

I have several QF-1A filters and they work well but there is nothing really special about them, they are built using op amps and there are several others that are similar in structure/performance like the the MFJ-752.  You can find plenty of construction articles if you want to build your own.  The later 70s through the 80s era QST magazine and ARRL handbooks of the era have some construction ideas.

Rodger WQ9E
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015