The AM Forum
April 30, 2024, 02:04:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Globe 350 selenium rectifiers  (Read 10388 times)
wb6kwt
Contributing

« on: January 18, 2013, 06:05:39 PM »

I've had this radio on my bench for months I've replace all of the electrolytic caps and the SR but now I'm not sure I've replaced them correctly. I used a single 1n4007 to replace SR1 thru SR4 but I see SR1 and SR2 was a dual section. Will two 1n4007 work to replace this two section rectifier and is the 1n4007 the correct part?

Thanks,

Bob

KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 07:38:03 PM »

Watts the voltage??
 and current??

klc

What? Me worry?
wb6kwt
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 07:59:59 PM »

That's the problem I can't find any specs for any of them, on the schematic or the parts list. I tossed the ones I took out so can't look at them. I was hoping someone else had replaced them and could advise me.

Bob
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 08:18:38 PM »

SR 1 & 2 are used to set the bias voltage to 8 volts.  Replace them with a 1N5344 (8.2 volt 5 watt) zener.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 10:42:41 PM »

Parallel existing selenium rectifiers with the modern silicon units for original look without the scent.

The new diodes have less forward voltage drop than the finned antiques and will put them into retirement.

No need to remove the elder statesmen.
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 04:24:53 PM »

On my 300 (same rig) I left the bias ones alone and changed the others with some 1n5408s I had lying around.   I left the old SR"s in place for original look.

C
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 05:44:12 PM »

On my 300 (same rig) I left the bias ones alone and changed the others with some 1n5408s I had lying around.   I left the old SR"s in place for original look.
C

I hope they never short.  If they do, and I have seen numerous examples, they stink up the place.  And if you replaced the others, how does these two make for an orginal look?
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 06:08:49 PM »

It's a friggin' Globe Chump. Not hardly a high-end piece when new and not collectable. Who is looking under the chassis anyway?  I don't when I'm on the air. Wink
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 06:41:38 PM »

They worked for 63 years so far with out failure on both my champs.  The ones for the half wave supply on the relay control did fail but did not smoke. A simple 5408 and its back on the air.  The 5408s are under the fins of the old SR's.   I like to keep things orginal.

W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 08:25:42 PM »

It's a friggin' Globe Chump. Not hardly a high-end piece when new and not collectable. Who is looking under the chassis anyway?  I don't when I'm on the air. Wink

And 75A-4s went for $275.00 in the 80s.

Someday that Globe Champ might be highly sought after. Stranger things have happened.
W2NBC
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, 08:29:06 PM »

All I know is they can sound really nice.. axe those 'couplates'..
and they look good with a pal..

* Studio%20A.jpg (75.9 KB, 640x480 - viewed 345 times.)

Vintage Radio Pages- http://www.dealamerica.com
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2013, 09:57:33 PM »

C

I hope they never short.  If they do, and I have seen numerous examples, they stink up the place.  And if you replaced the others, how does these two make for an orginal look?

And the fumes are highly toxic. They should be removed and disposed of in an environmentally safe manner. Selenium rectifiers manufactured in the 50's and 60's have long exceeded their typical life span for safe use.

"Original look" with disregard for safety, is not a good road to travel.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2013, 10:29:34 PM »

Blah... Half this stuff is filled with PCB oil including the cap in that Champ.

C
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2013, 10:42:30 PM »

Clark, what Pete is telling you is the fumes from burning Selenium is highly toxic and can cause permanent breathing problems depending on the amount you take in.  Don't risk it in an enclosed room.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2013, 10:46:56 PM »

Pete,

I'd love to chase you around a large parking lot driving a Crown Victoria loaded to the gills with selenium rectifiers.

Dave.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2013, 11:03:02 PM »

Pete,

I'd love to chase you around a large parking lot driving a Crown Victoria loaded to the gills with selenium rectifiers.

Dave.

Will the Crown Victoria be in the typical full flames from a rear-end collision? Crown Vic's and Ford Pinto's are like the bogeymen of cars.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2013, 11:13:43 PM »

Blah... Half this stuff is filled with PCB oil including the cap in that Champ.

C

Two quotes come to mind:
"I am invincible" James Bond - Goldeneye
"Do you want to live forever" - Conan the Barbarian

W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2013, 11:33:40 PM »

Pete,

Dave.

Will the Crown Victoria be in the typical full flames from a rear-end collision? Crown Vic's and Ford Pinto's are like the bogeymen of cars.

Yes. I will be wearing a hockey mask also.
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2013, 01:21:52 AM »

Let's get Selena Dione to sing the Selenium theme song.

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2013, 11:28:12 AM »

But then it won't be "original."  Roll Eyes  

This original stuff is a bunch baloney anyway. If you've touched a soldering iron to the chassis, it's no longer original. On top of that, the Chump was original in the 1950s and early 60's as a low priced medium power transmitter for use when all we had on the bands was AM and CW (with SSB and RTTY just coming along). It was designed to run on 110 VAC. By plugging it into the 120/130 outlets of today, you've just gone beyond original. By connecting it to an antenna made after 1965, you've gone beyond original. Today, the Chump (any Chump) is no longer original, no matter what parts you leave in or take out. Its time has passed.

The craziest example I've seen of this silly original mindset run wild was years ago. I had a conversation with a guy on 40 meters about his ART-13. He proudly proclaimed he would never use it with anything but a carbon mic, since THAT was original. When I asked him if he was going to only use it in a B-17 to contact the Army Air Corps, since THAT was original, he suddenly had to QRT. What a load!

All I know is they can sound really nice.. axe those 'couplates'..
and they look good with a pal..
wa3dsp

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2013, 01:38:35 PM »

I totally agree! I have not found a piece of tube equipment that I couldn't make better or safer in some way. Especially safer. It is a wonder there were not more electrocution fatalities back then. With fuses in the neutral leg, no line ground, no GFI's. The only thing that is sacred to me is the front panel past that I make it better. We aren't going to keep these rigs going by preserving old crap. Make it better and document what you did.
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2013, 03:16:06 PM »

Too much of it comes from flawed thinking that these radios will be worth something like vintage cars. Not so. Adjusting for inflation, most of this stuff is not worth any more than it was new. The market demand is just not there. If some want to keep their stuff original, fine. I don't really care. Just please do not act like you are doing something special or significant.
wa3dsp

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2013, 04:07:29 PM »

In 1954 an assembled  Johnson Ranger cost $250. Adjusted for inflation it would be $2,134 today!  I think most of this stuff is a loss. We collect it because we want to not for the value.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2013, 04:41:13 PM »

Too much of it comes from flawed thinking that these radios will be worth something like vintage cars. Not so. Adjusting for inflation, most of this stuff is not worth any more than it was new. The market demand is just not there. If some want to keep their stuff original, fine. I don't really care. Just please do not act like you are doing something special or significant.

True if it were purchased new. I bought many of my old radios before they were cool.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2013, 05:39:18 PM »

" When I asked him if he was going to only use it in a B-17 to contact the Army Air Corps, since THAT was original, he suddenly had to QRT "

S,

Maybee he was a NAVY man who drove a PBY.

klc

What? Me worry?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015