The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 04:38:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013 AM Rally - Discussion and feedback - Event: Feb 16-17  (Read 14316 times)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2013, 01:44:49 PM »

Steve,
I will announce the event on the AWA AM net this Sunday.  That net meets at 4PM on 3.837.  For that matter, feel free to join the net and you can announce it directly.  The pre-net starts around 3:30 and will help you get on the top of the list.  Sometimes we have 35 or so AM stations check into the net an many more stations just listening in.

Another group which I know your active in, is the Gray Hair Net on 160M.  If you have not mentioned it yet, that would be a good one as well to put forth such an announcement.   

Its a shame it has come up so fast otherwise I am sure Ray would list it in ER for you.  At this date its to late for that publication.  Something to remember for next year along with maybe an article about it showing some of the stations that participated.

Joe, W3GMS

I agree that the AWA and Gray Hair Nets are great relatively "local" nets for getting the word out, it really doesn't address "getting the word out" to the rest of the active AM amateurs around the country and the rest of the world. Next years date should be cast in concrete many months before rally/contest time to provide adequate and timely announcement postings in ER, QST, and CQ magazine and online forums that provide for these types of postings. It would be super cool to have lots of consistent AM activity across all of our major HF bands where "contesting" is tolerated throughout the entire weekend.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2013, 10:57:46 AM »

The AM Rally now has a web site and domain name.  This should make it easier to find information, and talk about it on the air.

The site is: amrally.com

Check it out Wink

Regards,

Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2013, 02:01:53 PM »

Let's pick a date for next year now.

Next years date should be cast in concrete many months before rally/contest time to provide adequate and timely announcement postings in ER, QST, and CQ magazine and online forums that provide for these types of postings.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2013, 02:18:32 PM »

Every 3rd weekend of February sounds gooder to me. That way the "dates" take care of themselves!
Or is that too simple? Grin
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2013, 02:58:19 PM »

Yeah, I agree with Buddly... Grin Grin Grin

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2013, 03:15:51 PM »

Calendar for 2014 and all the way to year 3999 if you really want to plan in advance:
http://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/?year=2014

W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2013, 03:18:26 PM »

My question is why February? My suggestion is to move it to April. It is much warmer then and that is when I re-open my camp so one could say it is purely for selfish reason on my end and that would be true. The other thing that warmer weather permits is getting up that new antenna for the event.

It also seems to be somewhat close to the Heavy Metal Rally and since the Steve's AM Rally seems much more successful in turnout, a little more space between  would be helpful for both events.

Please understand that this is not a complaint as I think both rally's are great and needed but wondered about the above?

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2013, 03:46:02 PM »

My question is why February? My suggestion is to move it to April. It is much warmer then and that is when I re-open my camp so one could say it is purely for selfish reason on my end and that would be true. The other thing that warmer weather permits is getting up that new antenna for the event.

It also seems to be somewhat close to the Heavy Metal Rally and since the Steve's AM Rally seems much more successful in turnout, a little more space between  would be helpful for both events.

Please understand that this is not a complaint as I think both rally's are great and needed but wondered about the above?

April: Based on the 2012 contest calendar, quite a few QSO parties are held in April along with other contests; Hamfest weekends are starting to ramp up; daylight savings time in effect; yard/garden work ramp up; warmer weather to romp in the sun; my antenna fell down in March

steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2013, 09:09:34 PM »

It really should be kept in winter.

The propagation is MUCH better - good for working those AM DX stations on 75 meters.  160 is available during the winter - not so much during the summer, and again, better propagation on 160 during the winter also.

Another reason - NO THUNDERSTORMS TO WORRY ABOUT  Smiley

Maybe a little EARLIER in February, although by mid-February, most everyone is going a bit stir crazy (ok, well at least we are here up in snowy New England!), and it's a nice diversion.

We can all plan better for next year, but we need to get the word out for *this* year.  I figured I'd register that domain (amrally.com) because it's very easy to talk about a domain like that on the air, and it is easy to remember.

Thanks and Regards,

Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2013, 10:37:42 PM »

We can all plan better for next year, but we need to get the word out for *this* year.  I figured I'd register that domain (amrally.com) because it's very easy to talk about a domain like that on the air, and it is easy to remember.

Thanks and Regards,

Steve

But don't wait till next year to start.
As an example, for WorldRadio Online:
Contest Calendar Listings

If you or your organization is sponsoring a contest and would like it listed in WorldRadio Online's Contest Calendar, forward your information to: Rick McCusker, WF6O, 5699 Time Court, Sacramento, CA 95824-2062 or by e-mail to: rickmccusker@sbcglobal.net.

Information must be received no later than two months before the issue date, i.e., if your contest is in July, your information is needed no later than May 1st. Late entries will not be listed! Contest calendar columnist reserves the right to choose the information posted on this page. The columnist tries to list the big ones as well as some obscure, but interesting contests.

I would  suspect, QST and other mags would also require similar lead time for posting. I would not rely on the typical jibber-jabber QSO's we hear to be the conduit for getting the word out but, at this point, that's pretty much all you have.

W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2013, 02:52:20 PM »

I will be on again this year using W9T.  Hope to work everyone on the Rally.  Sure was lots of fun last year!

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2013, 03:57:29 PM »

Valentines Day, every year!  Hot propagation!
Why not irritate the whimmin and have fun hammin in one fell swoop?
I mean, are you a real ham or not, PW's?

RICK  *W3RSW*
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015