The AM Forum
May 15, 2024, 10:49:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013 AM Rally - Discussion and feedback - Event: Feb 16-17  (Read 14428 times)
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« on: January 04, 2013, 09:17:03 AM »

Hi !

A number of people have contacted me about the 2013 AMFone/REA AM Transmitter Rally.

There are a couple of dates that look good.  Traditionally, this has been held early in February.

Feb. 9th-10th is a possibility.  This also coincides with the AWA AM QSO Party and the Classic Exchange.  This synergy may enhance all of the events, because there will be a lot of AMers operating that weekend.

The 2nd is also possible, although there is the EPC WW DX Contest that weekend, but I don't know what that is or how much activity it generates.

The 16th is also available. There is an international ARRL CW contest of some type.  If that does not interfere with anything, the 16th is viable.

Please comment; suggestions; like it; hate it; etc.

Addendum (8-Jan-2013): The event is Feb 16th-17th.  Event link: http://www.classeradio.com/amtr.htm

Thanks and Regards,

Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
wa2dtw

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 10:07:11 AM »

Hi Steve
I would vote for a time that is not in competition with any other contest.   The experience with Heavy Metal night taught us that we need to spread out more on the bands.   Other contests going on at the same time would not allow this.   My 2 cents--
Steve
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 01:43:20 PM »

I agree that multiple AM events should not be held during the same time.  Pick a different date and run with it!

Joe, GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 06:52:17 PM »

Ok, if we avoid the 10th of Feb. because of the AWA and Classic Exchange, that leaves the 2nd and the 16th of Feb.  The 16th gives more planning time.  There is an ARRL CW contest that weekend.  Will that be a a big problem?  Doesn't seem so, but then again..

Regards,

Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 10:32:52 PM »

I vote for the 16th.
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 10:45:43 PM »

With the ARRL CW DX contest running, the phone bands should be relatively quiet on the 16th.  I agree with Steve, need more QSOs on more frequencies vs just one or two huge roundtables per band like during the HM Rally....

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 02:11:36 AM »

The 16th gives more planning time.  

So what you're saying is that a year wasn't long enough to plan this event?  Roll Eyes

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 09:26:35 AM »

AM Rally should be 365d/yr.  Cheesy

I vote for Feb. 16th.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 10:40:50 AM »

This event has really brought a lot of AM stations out of the receive mode.

Thanks Steve.
DMOD
AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 02:42:19 PM »

AM Rally should be 365d/yr.  Cheesy

I vote for Feb. 16th.

I second that motion.

Not only should we spread out to other bands but let's spread out on 75m as well.

Phil - AC0OB

Charlie Eppes: Dad would be so happy if we married a doctor.
Don Eppes: Yeah, well, Dad would be happy if I married someone with a pulse.NUMB3RS   Smiley
kc9pcp

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 03:27:54 PM »

I vote for the16th, can't make the other two dates.

Should have my bandswitching worked out by then , so I can switch bands quickly. 160-75-40-20

I agree with more bands and more frequencies.
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 12:02:37 AM »

The 2013

Amplitude Modulation Transmitter Rally
Contest and Operating Event

On the HF Amateur Bands (160 meters to 10 meters)

Will be held on Saturday, February 16th 6:00AM EST to
Monday, February 18th 02:00AM EST (11:00 PM PST Sunday, 2/17)

The complete announcement can be found in the announcements section, or clicking here: http://www.classeradio.com/amtr.htm

It's going to be a great year!!!!

steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 12:13:01 AM »

Well, we're ready to go for 2013!  Thanks to everyone who suggested dates, etc. for the event.

Please publicize this as much as possible in as many places as possible to get the word out.

For mailing lists, etc.  there is a link to the rally web site:  http://www.classeradio.com/amtr.htm

Thanks and Regards,

Steve

KL7OF

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2013, 09:05:03 AM »

Steve...
Is there a list of  2 letter abbreviations for country codes?   Last year I worked Mexico and Canada ...MX ? and CA?  there are states and provinces in those countries as well..Just looking for the abbreviations that the software can read.....Thanks for your efforts...
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2013, 11:29:27 AM »

Steve...
Is there a list of  2 letter abbreviations for country codes?   Last year I worked Mexico and Canada ...MX ? and CA?  there are states and provinces in those countries as well..Just looking for the abbreviations that the software can read.....Thanks for your efforts...

Hmmm. ... I don't know of any such list, but I bet Steve K4HX and some of the others on here who work other countries on a regular basis will know!  The logging software will accept any 2 letter codes for countries and "states" (provinces, etc. within countries).

Regards,

Steve

N3TQW

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2013, 02:06:33 PM »

I place my vote for the 16th
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2013, 02:33:01 PM »

If Steve is referring to the ISO Country Codes, they are here:

TEXT: http://www.iso.org/iso/home/standards/country_codes/country_names_and_code_elements_txt.htm

HTML: http://www.iso.org/iso/home/standards/country_codes/country_names_and_code_elements.htm

Steve said: "The logging software will accept any 2 letter codes for countries and "states" (provinces, etc. within countries)."

Some country codes are the same as state codes, i.e. CO - Colorado and CO - COLOMBIA -----ME - Maine and ME - MONTENEGRO I'm sure there are others.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2013, 02:43:53 PM »

Some country codes are the same as state codes, i.e. CO - Colorado and CO - COLOMBIA -----ME - Maine and ME - MONTENEGRO I'm sure there are others.

This is OK, because for CO (Colorado) entered as a state, the country code will be entered as US.  If there is a country code of CO entered, that's a unique country code worldwide (or it better be!), and there is no overlap because the logging software has two fields to identify a unique location - a country and a state (province, etc.), so everything works just fine.

Regards,

Steve

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2013, 03:43:03 PM »

This is OK, because for CO (Colorado) entered as a state, the country code will be entered as US.  If there is a country code of CO entered, that's a unique country code worldwide (or it better be!), and there is no overlap because the logging software has two fields to identify a unique location - a country and a state (province, etc.), so everything works just fine.

Regards,

Steve

As long as there are two separate fields that the software can differentiate the unique (state/province and country) there should be no issues with countries like U. S. and Canada. How does the software handle other foreign countries? Country code is easy but what about state/province or whatever the equivalent might be ? Maybe that weekend we'll have world-wide 10/15/20 meter openings with lots of "across the pond" AM contacts.

W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 02:04:39 PM »

FB OM UR IN US ??
 Grin

RICK  *W3RSW*
KL7OF

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2013, 04:14:06 PM »

Last time I just put Mexico and Canada in the comment line.   Keep it simple...
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2013, 05:48:30 PM »

Even in ham radio, life is not always simple. Mexico has 31 states. Its two letter country code is MX.

Abbrevations for the states of Mexico - The "- XX" is the state code.
Name of state        2-letter code

Aguascalientes            MX - AG
 Baja California          MX - BC
 Baja California Sur     MX - BS
 Campeche       MX - CM
 Chiapas                MX - CS    
 Chihuahua            MX - CH    
 Coahuila                    MX - CO    
 Colima                     MX - CL    
 Federal District       MX - DF    
 Durango               MX - DG
 Guanajuato           MX - GT
 Guerrero               MX - GR
 Hidalgo                MX - HG
 Jalisco                      MX - JA
 Mexico State           MX - ME
 Michoacán                   MX - MI
 Morelos                  MX - MO    
 Nayarit                     MX - NA    
 Nuevo León          MX - NL
 Oaxaca                     MX - OA    
 Puebla                     MX - PB
 Querétaro               MX - QE
 Quintana Roo         MX - QR
 San Luis Potosí      MX - SL
 Sinaloa                    MX - SI
 Sonora                     MX - SO
 Tabasco                    MX - TB
 Tamaulipas            MX - TM
 Tlaxcala                     MX - TL
 Veracruz                    MX - VE
 Yucatán                     MX - YU
 Zacatecas                    MX - ZA

Canadian Proviences 2 letter code:
Alberta       AB          
British Columbia       BC          
Manitoba       MB          
New Brunswick       NB          
Newfoundland and Labrador       NL          
Northwest Territories       NT          
Nova Scotia       NS          
Nunavut       NU          
Ontario       ON          
Prince Edward Island       PE          
Quebec       QC          
Saskatchewan       SK          
Yukon       YT

steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2013, 08:55:42 PM »

It's ok to put anything in the comment line - but please do make sure you put the country code and province (if you have it) in the right places in the software, or the country won't be correctly counted.  The data reduction program does not look in the comment line for countries.  It does, however, look there for equipment and other descriptive items.

Regards,

Steve

steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2013, 08:10:46 AM »

I made an announcement on QRZ this morning (Wed Jan 16th).  We'll see if there are any responses!

If there are other forums or places this should be announced, please do it or let me know and I'll put up a formatted announcement.

Thanks!

Steve

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2013, 12:47:07 PM »

Steve,
I will announce the event on the AWA AM net this Sunday.  That net meets at 4PM on 3.837.  For that matter, feel free to join the net and you can announce it directly.  The pre-net starts around 3:30 and will help you get on the top of the list.  Sometimes we have 35 or so AM stations check into the net an many more stations just listening in.

Another group which I know your active in, is the Gray Hair Net on 160M.  If you have not mentioned it yet, that would be a good one as well to put forth such an announcement.   

Its a shame it has come up so fast otherwise I am sure Ray would list it in ER for you.  At this date its to late for that publication.  Something to remember for next year along with maybe an article about it showing some of the stations that participated.

Joe, W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015