The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:08:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I Knew There Was a Use for Those 955 Acorn Tubes!  (Read 18888 times)
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« on: January 08, 2013, 03:12:31 PM »

Here is my latest creation.  I had lots of fun on SKN on New Years with my Frank Jones Replica 6A6 Breadboard Transmitter.  I decided to try the push pull xtal oscillator circuit with a pair of 955 acorn tubes.  Works great!  About 2 watts output.  First contact on 80 M CW was in North Carolina!  The wooden cigar boxes also make good housings for old breadboard projects.  I think I will build a one tube wonder regen receiver to go with the transmitter next.

73,  Jack, W9GT

* pp955rig1.JPG (745.86 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 1007 times.)

* pp955rig2.JPG (743.26 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 1103 times.)

* pp955rig3.JPG (486.9 KB, 1642x1335 - viewed 951 times.)

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
W9GT

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 03:13:30 PM »

A couple more pictures.

* pp955rig4.JPG (727.83 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 530 times.)

* pp955rig5.JPG (734.34 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 652 times.)

73, Jack, W9GT
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 03:18:01 PM »

Very cool!! Smiley
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 04:11:20 PM »

A great RF follow-up to "Smoke 'em if you got 'em"!

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 04:16:29 PM »

Fantastic Jack!  I like your choice of a PP xtal Oscillator.  Topping it off with a good wooden box add's the final pizazz!  With the plug in PP coil and link assembly it would be an ideal candidate to wind a coil for 40M.  40M is a great QRP CW band.   Let me know if you do that and I will work you with your latest creation.

Joe, W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
W9GT

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 04:26:13 PM »

Fantastic Jack!  I like your choice of a PP xtal Oscillator.  Topping it off with a good wooden box add's the final pizazz!  With the plug in PP coil and link assembly it would be an ideal candidate to wind a coil for 40M.  40M is a great QRP CW band.   Let me know if you do that and I will work you with your latest creation.

Joe, W3GMS

Hi Joe,

Yes, I will put it on 40 M , as well.  Actually, the coil I have in there now is too big for 80M.  I need to take some turns off, but it still resonates with a smaller amount of C.  Its not optimized, by any means, but it works, and that is what counts.  I plan to add a 40 M coil soon. 

Some xtals tend to be a bit chirpy, but it doesn't sound too bad.  I suppose regulating the B+ might improve the "whoop whoop" a bit also.   Grin

73,  Jack, W9GT

73, Jack, W9GT
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 04:58:14 PM »

That is so kewl! Nice!

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 05:30:23 PM »

Joe, W3GMS

Hi Joe,

Yes, I will put it on 40 M , as well.  Actually, the coil I have in there now is too big for 80M.  I need to take some turns off, but it still resonates with a smaller amount of C.  Its not optimized, by any means, but it works, and that is what counts.  I plan to add a 40 M coil soon. 

Some xtals tend to be a bit chirpy, but it doesn't sound too bad.  I suppose regulating the B+ might improve the "whoop whoop" a bit also.   Grin

73,  Jack, W9GT

Jack,

Sometimes putting a small variable between the grid and cathode of single tube oscillator / transmitters helps the chirp.  In addition playing around with the XTAL current will help also.  Of coarse a stiff supply goes a long way to improve things.  Some designs use a resistor in the cathode circuit to ground.  Not enough to allow the oscillator to run, but not turn the tube off completely while the key is up.   

Great on the 40M coil.  Let me know when you get it up and running and maybe I will put my Ameco AC-1 on. 

Joe, GMS 

KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 05:55:28 PM »

J,
 Thats really a nice transmitter.

You should get away from the qrp stuff and build a larger rig. Here's a nice start..... ..

klc

* QRO enclosure.jpg (3.7 KB, 114x171 - viewed 476 times.)

What? Me worry?
KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 06:05:26 PM »

That is very COOL!

Bill KA8WTK
WQ9E

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 07:21:05 PM »

Very nice work Jack!  Thanks for sharing.

Are you going to show up with a sub-miniature version using Nuvistors next year?

Rodger WQ9E
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 07:32:55 PM »

73,  Jack, W9GT

Some folks find a signal with a bit of chirp rather nice.  That and a smooth fist make for a fine QSO.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
W9GT

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 12:16:26 PM »

Joe, W3GMS

Hi Joe,

73,  Jack, W9GT

Jack,

Sometimes putting a small variable between the grid and cathode of single tube oscillator / transmitters helps the chirp.  In addition playing around with the XTAL current will help also.  Of coarse a stiff supply goes a long way to improve things.  Some designs use a resistor in the cathode circuit to ground.  Not enough to allow the oscillator to run, but not turn the tube off completely while the key is up.   

Great on the 40M coil.  Let me know when you get it up and running and maybe I will put my Ameco AC-1 on. 

Joe, GMS 

OK, she now works on 40M!!  Added a 40 M coil and changed a couple of resistors.  Keys really well with most xtals.  I'm getting a powerful 1 to 1.5 watts out,  Just wkd a station in MI on 40,  so I know everything wkg fine.

73,  Jack, W9GT

* acorn rig on 40M.JPG (732.28 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 944 times.)

73, Jack, W9GT
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2013, 01:00:34 PM »

Jack,
How about a sked today on 40M at 4PM?  Give me a frequency and I will listen for you and give you a call if I hear you. 

Ludwell Sibley wrote about the 955 in the AWA Journal some years ago. 

http://www.antiquewireless.org/otb/acorntube.htm

Joe, GMS

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2013, 02:23:30 PM »

NICE!!! You did a wonderful job on that little transmitter, Jack. And the old box makes it that much cooler. Hopefully Larry/NE1S will pop by and see it. He has quite a collection of cool stuff like this and is a prolific builder. He'd truly appreciate it as well.

Would love to hear you & GMS having a QSO. My CW is rusty so it would be entertaining. But as Ed says, a little chirp adds personality in a sea of computer generated code sent with keyers.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2013, 02:31:38 PM »

NICE!!! You did a wonderful job on that little transmitter, Jack. And the old box makes it that much cooler. Hopefully Larry/NE1S will pop by and see it. He has quite a collection of cool stuff like this and is a prolific builder. He'd truly appreciate it as well.

Would love to hear you & GMS having a QSO. My CW is rusty so it would be entertaining. But as Ed says, a little chirp adds personality in a sea of computer generated code sent with keyers.

Put a little oil on that rust and get on CW!  The low end of 40 is a great place to work CW during the daytime.

Joe, GMS

W9GT

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2013, 06:19:39 PM »

Thanks all for the comments.  This is a really simple project and great fun.  Nothing like making contacts on a little peanut whistle rig that I assembled in a few hours.  I even got really adventurous and ran the plate volts up to 300, now getting 2.5 watts out!! Woo Hoo!!  Those little 955s are jump'in outta their sockets!

73,  Jack, W9GT
P.S.  Joe, I tried to answer you with an instant message, but missed you...hope we can QSO on 40M soon, I have lots of xtals...so should be able to find a freq.

73, Jack, W9GT
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2013, 06:52:14 PM »

Jack,

I will hook up with you tomorrow on 40CW.  The morning is tied up but the afternoon should be fine.  I will reply to your PM with the particulars.

Joe, GMS

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2013, 09:29:03 PM »

Put a little oil on that rust and get on CW!  The low end of 40 is a great place to work CW during the daytime.

I'm going to try to listen for you guys on 40 tomorrow. I'd definitely need to practice a bit to get some level of proficiency again. Think my last CW contact was '91?

But with the Little Princess here now my ability to get out to the station is limited severely. Indoor CW with the KWM-2A or such would be a good option, especially if I could work Jack's new wonderbox. Can't wait to hear it.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
N0WEK
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2013, 12:17:42 PM »

That's really nice!

Have you got a schematic to post?

Diesel boats and tube gear forever!
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2013, 03:31:27 PM »

Just had a great CW QSO on 40 meters with the PP 955's.  Good signal and even more impressive was  how well it keyed.  Lots of fun Jack and I hope we can do it again soon.  QSB was bad but I managed to copy almost  solid. 
Joe, GMS

W9GT

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2013, 04:00:32 PM »

Thanks Joe!  I enjoyed it as well and it sure has been fun playing with this little rig.  I tied in a string of VR tubes that look really cool, but they really don't affect the sound of the rig.  Holds the B+ close to 270 volts.

73,  Jack, W9GT

* 006.JPG (651.25 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 710 times.)

73, Jack, W9GT
W9GT

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2013, 07:09:22 PM »

Joe,  I'm not sure I believe this, but I received an e-mail and eQSL from an SWL in St. Petersburg , Russia who heard our QSO and gave me a 559 report!  Ah...cigar box power!! Shocked Grin

73,  Jack, W9GT

73, Jack, W9GT
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2013, 07:11:52 PM »

Jack,
That is amazing!  Hopefully its a valid report. 

Those VR tubes sure look good even though you did not notice much of a note change when them added.  Its all part of the motif ! 

Joe, GMS   

Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2013, 09:24:35 PM »

Congrats... The idea is all about early ham radio.. "Run what you brung"
I have built several one tube radio in wood cigar boxes. The whole idea is cool. Lets try a 117lgt single tube to 955 !
Carl
/KPD

* puufer_pair.jpg (145.17 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 628 times.)

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015