The AM Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:20:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: bc-348 smell  (Read 5601 times)
W9BHI

« on: January 08, 2013, 09:49:56 AM »

I just picked up a nearly pristeen looking BC-348Q.
The problem is that there was a family of mice that had been living in it for years.
There are some chewed wires and lots of corrosion on the chassis.
The worst part is the PEE SMELL. Shocked
It is so strong it can make your eyes water.
What can I use to clean the urine smell off of the chassis and cabinet?
I think I could make this radio work again.
Thanks,
Don W9BHI
RolandSWL
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 10:16:59 AM »

Yuck!

I have had luck with Simple Green and water on non-electronic stuff. I don't know anything about the innards of a bc-348 so I won't be so bold as to recommend this course of action. Might be O.K. on the externals.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 10:35:27 AM »

I've used this 'stuff' for human and cat urine....

" " Nature's Miracle has powerful odor and stain removing products that include; Stain and Odor Remover (in many sizes), Litter Treatment, Skunk Odor Remover, Pet Mess Clean-up Kit and Pet Wipes.  ""

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=769&cmpid=01csegpl&ref=6111&subref=AA&CAWELAID=589712276&catargetid=1570180589&cagpspn=pla

The better oder removers are enzyme based. 

klc

What? Me worry?
wa3dsp

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 04:28:44 PM »

Not for the smell but for great chassis cleaning I use Krud Kutter. I get it at Lowes. It is a natural product and really works on tough stuff.

Doug
W9BHI

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 04:43:15 PM »

I wonder if after scrubbing with a cleaner, I put it in a suitable enclosure with an ozone generator.
Like the ones that the car dealers use for de-stinking used cars.
Might work?

Don W9BHI
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 07:39:30 PM »

Well, I have cats, which means getting bad smells out of places they oughtn't be.

One thing that works is  a Zepp product from HD - Pet stain and Odor remover.  It's Peroxide based.

Spray it on, it will foam anywhere there is urine or other "Biomass".   Let it sit for about 15 mins or so, and wipe it off and reapply.  Once it stops foaming, the biological remnants are gone and the smell should be too.

I don't know what it will do to various materials, peroxide can be corrosive. I'd test on a small area with some water handy to rinse if aluminum etching or other bad effects happen.

Of course, you can always pull any sensitive items off the chassis and hit it with hot soapy water and a brush.

Is it dishwasher safe? can you make it so?

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
ve6pg

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 07:42:37 PM »

Lysol sprayed alot, plus scented dryer sheets..
..tim..

..sk..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
WQ9E

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 07:48:38 PM »

I wonder if after scrubbing with a cleaner, I put it in a suitable enclosure with an ozone generator.
Like the ones that the car dealers use for de-stinking used cars.
Might work?

Don W9BHI

I would start with one of the foaming disinfectants followed by a rinse since mice are the spread agent for plenty of diseases.

As for the ozone treatment is is not so good for any rubber components inside.

Unless the formula has changed, ERA laundry detergent is enzyme based and I used it several years ago on a barn fresh receiver.  I did a rinse with warm water, a couple of sprays of ERA mixed 1 to 3 with water and allowed each to sit for 30 minutes followed by a warm water rinse and then a heavy rinse with distilled water.  It got rid of the smell.

Good luck!

Rodger WQ9E
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 09:37:29 PM »

Bath time. Pre-heat your oven to 180 F.

Place a rubber matt in the bathtub so you do not scratch it with the chassis and case.

Remove the radio from the case and draw a very hot bath for the radio. Now get some Victoria Secret Bombshell Sensual Wash which bathes the crackle finish and wiring harbness in a glamorous blend of purple passion fruit, shangri-la peony and vanilla orchids.

Quickly scrub with a brush and let drain - rinse - bake.

These are the good old days of AM
KE6DF

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 10:10:11 PM »

Vinegar works for cat piss. Maybe for mice also???

But then the radio might smell like vinegar.

iw5ci
I love old radios

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 09:28:39 AM »

You have just to wash it completely.
You have to remove tubes and put the radio in the shower plate, before washing you have to spray a good cleaner/degreaser.
After washing put in the oven at 180 (70c) for a couple of hours.
you will have a perfect result.. i have done the same with more sophisticated radios like SX-28 as you can see in my blog Smiley

http://boatanchors.tumblr.com/

W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 09:41:00 AM »

Encase it in molten plastic.  Grin

A lot of good ideas to try but you may never get it perfect.  I know a guy that had a brand new Camaro some years ago who was a bachelor at the time and didn't know or care about the value of fast action.  He spilled a gallon of milk behind the drivers seat and either forgot about it or let it fester too long.  Talk about your dead cat smell...  He finally had to trade in the car.  I wonder what the pros did?  Re-upholster probably.

I wonder if there's a product that you could immerse the whole radio in and let soak for some days that wouldn't dissolve something critical except the smoke tar residue.  I know, for instance, that very specialized products exist that neutralize butyl mercaptain odorants used in natural gas.  What would naphtha do?
uh, Er, don't light up..
"Captain Wafto" comes to mind.   ....seriously.

RICK  *W3RSW*
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015