The AM Forum
April 18, 2024, 05:22:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Excitement at W1AEX  (Read 4985 times)
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« on: December 23, 2012, 05:07:33 PM »

Well, at about 3:30 yesterday afternoon my neighborhood got hit by a microburst with winds like we have never seen here before. I had just signed off from a QSO on 75 meter AM and that's when I heard several loud thumps that shook the house to its foundation. An 85 foot pine tree about 60 feet behind the house snapped off at about 20 feet up and came crashing down onto the roof. It impacted about 6 inches from the roof edge where it punched a nice clean 3 inch hole that created a new solar portal in one of the upstairs bedrooms. It also managed to rip up quite a few shingles as it thrashed around. Fortunately, I had lots of shingles left over from when the roof was put on and also had plenty of Black Jack Roof Asphalt so the emergency repairs went well today. Definitely cannot complain about the weather today either as It was very comfortable out in the sun.

Unfortunately, the tree fell right across the 190 foot center-fed antenna and ripped it out of its tie points so I will be absent from 160-75-60 and 40 meters for awhile. To add to the inconvenience, the eastern leg of that antenna managed to twang itself 30 feet to the south where it got hooked over the 2 meter and 6 meter beams on the tower. There's no possible way I could have done that if I wanted to so I'm still kind of amazed that it managed to transport itself over there. The Hex Beam, however, appears to have been untouched so I can at least play on the upper bands.

Ah well, today Kathy and I celebrated our 40th anniversary and no one got hurt so it wasn't all bad! We even went out for hot fudge sundaes! Then we spent the day on the roof cutting wood, clearing the debris off and patching the holes in the roof. With all the trees that have come down in the past 3 years we are beginning to get a nice panoramic view of the western sky. Also, with that tree gone, I might have a nice shot at moving the western leg of that antenna further from the house and up higher. Nice!

Rob W1AEX

* broken 800.jpg (119.48 KB, 800x589 - viewed 462 times.)

* roof 800.jpg (112.23 KB, 800x600 - viewed 459 times.)

* new sun roof.jpg (690.05 KB, 1024x707 - viewed 491 times.)

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
W3FJJ
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 06:11:35 PM »

Trees are nice antenna supports, but not so nice when they end up on your house.
Glad you ok Rob, and Congratulations on the 40th!
GL with roof and new antenna.
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 06:19:52 PM »

Congratulations on the 40th!

Sorry to hear about the new sun roof.
KD0HUX

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 06:54:10 PM »

CONGRATULATIONS Grin Grin ON 40th year of MARRIED BLISS Wink  GLAD YOU WERE ABLE 2 MAKE THE REPAIRS YOUR SELF AND SAVE SOME CASH.GOOD LUCK HOPE 2 HEAR YOU ON THE LOWER WHEN YOU GET SET UP AGAIN.
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 07:06:37 PM »

You won't forget this anniversary!   Congrats.

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 07:12:47 PM »

Congratulations Rob!

Glad it was not worse. The tree that is.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 10:19:51 PM »

Rob,

Sorry to hear that it was not worse and everyone got away without getting hurt.  Looks like the repairs will not be bad.  This year seems to be really bad with tress's falling on peoples houses.  Good luck in getting the antenna's back up. 

Congratulation on celebrating your 40th anniversary! 

Joe, W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
WA3VJB
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 11:47:11 PM »

What a cheerful outlook Rob, no matter what gets tossed at you !

I bet it's a factor for your obvious happiness celebrating your 40th wedding Anniversary.

Here's hoping for an uneventful antenna restoration in the time ahead. 
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 03:21:39 AM »

1.) 40 years of a successful family situation.
2.) big storm, minimal yet very interesting home damage.
3.) excuse or reason to improve your antenna.

Considering all things, it worked out pretty well.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W2NBC
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 09:33:53 AM »

Rob,

It's kind of like a collective sharing experience after s**t happens here.. The AM "Facebook".. It could have been so much worse! The hole is one thing, but the antenna is the real PITA!! (we know).. Onward to higher antennas in the clear!

Congrats on 40 years of coping!!  Grin
Jeff

Vintage Radio Pages- http://www.dealamerica.com
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 09:53:16 PM »

Thanks for the kind comments up and down the list. As many have pointed out, the damage is nothing more than a minor annoyance and I certainly have much to be thankful for. Jeff, your comments about the QSO section being the "AM Facebook" cracked me up. As far as the antenna goes, if the weather holds on Wednesday it should be back up in the air, a little higher, a little bigger, and a little better. The old antenna has been removed, all the tie point lines are ready, and the new insulators along with my trusty 1000 foot spool of wire are sitting by the back door. I expect it will go up just fine.

As far as the 40 years go I count myself as a lucky guy and even though I still introduce Kathy as my "starter wife" she's a keeper! The picture below is from the summer of 1970 about a year after we met. How did all those years tick by so quickly?

Rob W1AEX

* Rob and Kathy 1970.jpg (18.01 KB, 262x310 - viewed 375 times.)

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2012, 09:59:04 PM »

Indeed, Rob - the older we get, the faster it goes past. Sobering, really. Congratulations on the anniversary, hope you enjoyed it well despite the unwanted visitor. Glad the damage wasn't worse and of course that you and your family weren't harmed. Like Chuck's tree, they have their own plans and we do well to avoid being in the same spot when they come down.

Congrats too on the birthday! That must've been fun growing up, all the dual-purpose gifts. Jen's birthday is the 20th, so I always make an effort to make sure they are separate occasions. She doesn't understand why I don't get more excited for my birthday. After explaining the 'reminder' reasoning numerous times, I just tell her now 'It's a guy thing'. We're always happy to be around for another year.

Hope to see you around for many more.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015