The AM Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:37:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SX-28 - Most Unusual!!  (Read 11094 times)
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« on: December 14, 2012, 08:42:05 AM »

This "SX-28" is currently on ebay.

I was very surprised when I saw what was on the chassis!
Looks like the entire radio has been customized.
I wonder if anyone recognizes the IF strip that is in there.
It looks somewhat military to my eyes...

Comments?

* SX-28 MOD FRONT PANEL.JPG (383.24 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 549 times.)

* SX-28 MOD BEHIND PANEL.JPG (584.17 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 542 times.)

* SX-28 MOD IF SECTION.JPG (488.51 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 572 times.)

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
WBear2GCR

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 08:43:35 AM »

more

* SX-28 MOD BOTTOM.JPG (607.2 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 583 times.)

* SX-28 MOD INSIDE.JPG (420.38 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 490 times.)

WBear2GCR

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 08:46:51 AM »

Wondering if the chassis is actually an SX-88 or other similar and later Hallicrafters, since the
front row behind the panel are subminiature tubes, and look stock.

_-_-bear

W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 08:51:41 AM »

SX-390A
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 09:06:45 AM »

itz out of an R-390A complete with mechanical filterz

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 10:04:17 AM »

Complete with cane metal var. cap cover  Grin

RICK  *W3RSW*
KB5MD
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 10:33:34 AM »

One thing for sure, someone put in some time and effort on it.  That would be no small task!
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 11:35:03 AM »

I think its a nice technical exercise but would have to question why? If you want a R-390A, just get one. Modding the crap out of beautiful prewar receivers is a waste of time. Enjoy them for what they are. If you want modern performance, get a modern radio or stick a Softrock on the IF.
N8ETQ

Mort

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 12:46:21 PM »

Yo'

Maybe it was Modified in the 70's or early
80's. Back when a 28 was just old radio crap.
It is very nicely done! I love the "Dummy"
Crystal Phasing knob. R390A BFO too. All
the knobs in the correct place. Bright white
"S" meter is my only complaint.

/Dan
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 12:58:17 PM »

I think its a nice technical exercise but would have to question why? If you want a R-390A, just get one. Modding the crap out of beautiful prewar receivers is a waste of time. Enjoy them for what they are. If you want modern performance, get a modern radio or stick a Softrock on the IF.

My thoughts exactly. Along the lines of what Dan said, you can at least understand old surplus or mods done back when these rigs were a dime a dozen or an otherwise beat-to-crap pos. Condition seems to say this one as at least in decent shape, and the R-390 bits put the work likely in the 70s-80s or later (not a lot of civilian 390s, muchless spares floating around in the 60s). Now, if they'd just come up with an original or at least better cover than the 'metal wicker' look stuff from the 40s....

Years back at Rainchester I sold an old SP-200 that was in excellent cosmetic shape until you opened the lid. All the tubes had been converted to 7-9 pin miniatures. It looked empty and sterile inside. Probably had some measure of improved functionality, and SPs were probably the most hacked sets out there. But wow - was like seeing one of those 'resto-mod' messes in the hot rod world today, like a Ford with a Chevy engine.

We are truly fortunate to live in a time when we can enjoy these old rigs as-built, own multiple sets, and so on. Was a time when, if you were lucky enough to own a Super Pro or other high end rig of the past, you did your best to 'update' it since running out to buy the latest/greatest wasn't an option for most due to cost, disposable income, etc.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 03:26:12 PM »

That isn't the only unusual SX-28 on ebay, there's anonther SX-28 on there that has a tag on it saying it was built for the FCC.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 03:35:25 PM »

Excellent work up to a point. All the old paper caps still in place points to a late 60's-70's job when 390A parts were everywhere from a couple of huge surplus sell offs that included complete radios to modules.

The skill required should be praised rather than the complaining from a few that likely didnt even have drivers licenses back then  Grin

That isn't the only unusual SX-28 on ebay, there's anonther SX-28 on there that has a tag on it saying it was built for the FCC.

Those are not that uncommon as the FCC had several in each office, monitoring facility and mobile during WW2. I have a SX-17/FCC and NC-400/FCC in the collection.

Carl
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 03:45:12 PM »

The skill required should be praised rather than the complaining from a few that likely didnt even have drivers licenses back then  Grin

Odd....aside from my comment on the cover material choice or your comment on the paper caps being left in place, I didn't see much of anything that could be construed as complaining, merely observations or questions.   Wink

I was driving back in the 60s, a bad-ass ride called a Tot Rod made by Murray. Put a lot of miles on it over its brief time with me.

KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 08:50:44 PM »

RF section covers are missing on lots of SX-28/28A's, something is better than nothing.
Rather than complaining about the paper caps I was using them to better date the conversion era since even the modified section was using paper in plastic.

Its not a radio Id expect to just turn on and hear sweet sounds.
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 08:53:02 PM »

Do you actually read the posts here Karl or just choose to blindly P&M? Stop acting like such a dope. I know you're smarter than you've been acting.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2012, 09:54:47 PM »

Looks like someone enjoyed the excellent zero backlash tuning cap and coil arrangement and all the room, and wanted to make a more modern receiver. I'd like to have it but it will probably go high.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2012, 06:44:39 PM »

Last I heard Steve personal attacks were a reason to be banned from here. Id say your uncalled for attack certainly qualifies since I wasnt even remotely trying to be personal or start a flame war.

An apology will be accepted.

Carl
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2012, 06:57:10 PM »

Last I heard Steve personal attacks were a reason to be banned from here. Id say your uncalled for attack certainly qualifies since I wasnt even remotely trying to be personal or start a flame war.

An apology will be accepted.

Carl
There are people on this board who have great information to add to the discussion. But they often remind us of the extensive experience they have with former major Ham suppliers and their wonderful knowledge and extensive collection of radios. Unfortunately they also add sarcastic or demeaning comments that add nothing to the discussion

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2012, 12:16:45 PM »

And there you have it. Rather than share knowledge in a way that it can be received, it's blended with cynicism and sarcasm in a uniquely condescending manner. That's KM1H. No I will not apologize to you for pointing this out. If you choose to take it as a personal attack, that's your problem. You surely owe dozens an apology for your comments here over the years. And now you're begging for one. Good luck.
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2012, 01:30:46 PM »

Reference "Halligans' Henchmen" and FCC receivers, here is a link to see a lot of them in gov't. service:

http://users.isp.com/danflan/sterling/dfh2.html

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2012, 02:06:33 PM »

Good stuff.

Here is the link to The History of the Radio Intelligence Division Before and During World War II, 1940-1945 by George E. Sterling

Warning, this is a large file, 19.8 Megabytes. It's well worth the download.

Enjoy!

http://www.amwindow.org/misc/RID%20History.pdf
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2012, 09:57:33 PM »

More RID info here.

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=26676.0
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2012, 02:34:50 AM »

That's the book you passed to me a couple years back, Steve. EXCELLENT read! I remember talking with Walt about this a couple years back. He was involved.

IIRC, weren't the FCC SX-28s single ended audio to save $ since it wasn't needed for their work? Also saw a shiny panel once, but someone could've just polished it up instead of repainting.

KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2012, 06:48:57 PM »

Todd, I believe the SX-28/FCC version had a single ended audio for the same reason as the SX-17/FCC; less power drain in mobile use. Altho the majority were used in buildings one model that could be used wherever needed makes sense.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015