The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:21:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Planning a heavy Transmitter build project, seeking circuit recommendations.  (Read 12045 times)
N6YW
Contributing

« on: December 13, 2012, 11:22:52 PM »

Season greetings
It's been a long time since I posted here. Many projects and work related things among others.
After finishing a 4 month long ART-13 restoration and power supply build project, I am now setting my sights on a year long project to build a large AM transmitter. My plan is to implement a fully self contained design
in a standard rack package. My criteria is simple. It must kick ass and contain easily replaceable (not rare) tube types.
A pair modulating a pair platform comes to mind but then there are other designs like a single tube modulating a pair or vice versa. I'm not an engineer but I can build anything and make it work, so all of this depends on what makes logical sense. An old buzzard build for the present day. After lusting for the Collins 30K-5 that I cannot afford, I will build something that allows me to be creative and have fun. I seek to read comments from experienced builders with suggestions that are doable and can direct me to circuit designs already drawn.
I would also add that frequency agile DDS injection is very much a priority.
I look forward to your comments and I thank you all in advance.
73 de Billy N6YW

"Life is too short for QRP"
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 11:28:34 PM »

Pair of 813s modulated by a pair?
http://amwindow.org/tech/htm/813/813.htm

All the high power work is taken care of, all you would have to design would be the speech amp and audio driver sections and the RF driver section (for the RF driver, I think a single 807 or 6146 would be plenty, maybe even a little too much, perhaps a 2E26 would be better).

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
W4NEQ
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 08:56:20 AM »

Having said "it must kick ass",  ...

Pair of 4-400s modulated by another pair.

Chris

W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 09:07:08 AM »

Pair of 3cx3000's modding a single 4cx15000???  Grin

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 09:59:06 AM »

Find the best mod iron you can scratch up and go from there.  I have a version of a pair of 813's mod. By 572b's but am using only old BC610 iron.  If I were starting from scratch with fairly modern tubes, I'd go with the 4-400's as mentioned.  Get the mod tranny, mod reactor and plate iron from a junque RCA BTA or similar.

RICK  *W3RSW*
N6YW
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 11:43:22 AM »

The 813 design seems like it's a good way to go.
The transformer & tube costs are reasonable and more important, available.
Still, looking at different ideas before I go off collecting the major components.
Trying to keep the cost of the project from getting too crazy but I figure about
$2000 dollars spread out over a year isn't a bad figure.
Is there a cost factor versus performance factor where PP modulation is much better
than single ended modulation? Curious.

KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 12:23:48 PM »

A single 4-400 is much better than a pair of 813's especially if its to be bandswitched, cost will be the same or less. A small fan is all that is needed to cool the filament pins and up around the glass with some holes, no expensive socket or chimney. Use the 813's as triode modulators or beam tetrodes with NFB. It can also all be run with one PS if wanted.

Id use a 6146 heavily swamped to broadband and eliminate having to retune it or the 4-400 input.
The VFO can drive a broadband SS output to drive the 6146.

Use a pair of those 6 band tuned input boards available on the Internet and customize for the impedances needed. ARCO trimmers, DIP relays, and toroids can easily handle the RF and makes for more efficient layout and minimize panel clutter. Also eliminates the need for neutralization.

Carl
n2bc
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 12:30:34 PM »

I took an RCA BTA-1R1 and 're-packaged' it into a standard rack.  RCAs can be had reasonably priced and provide all the major iron. Only things to add are the PA tank components and grid circuitry assuming you want something frequency agile.  I used a Ranger as an exciter.

Took me a bit over 2 years.

* N2BC_AM_2.jpg (150.46 KB, 960x1280 - viewed 462 times.)
N6YW
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 01:03:22 PM »

Thanks for the replies.
I would like to suspend this discussion in light of the shootings in Conn. this morning.
Thanks,
Billy

ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 01:18:23 PM »

How much power in carrier are you looking for?  All of those are great suggestions.

C
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 02:40:43 PM »

I built this:
http://amwindow.org/tech/htm/813/813.htm

It's a solid design and has big BAs!

I drive the modulator with an LM1875 IC as an audio amplifier.  See circuit in the attachment.  Replace the speaker in the schematic with a reverse coupled audio transformer. Audio transformer is a Hammond 1620.  Rail supply is about 40 or 50Vdc if I remember correctly. There's plenty of headroom to tickle the grids of the 813s.  You will need to build a split power supply to power the amp.  The only drawback with this lashup is the audio input is unbalanced. It could potentially pose an RF issue however, I do not have that problem.  I didn't think about this when building.  The amp is well shielded and the audio input is converted from balanced to unbalanced right at the input. The unbalanced to balanced line converter is an MCM 555-8485 line converter.  All is enclosed in the transmitter. I drive the audio amp with a mixer with balanced outputs. 

* LM1875.gif (19.6 KB, 406x480 - viewed 381 times.)

* 813xmtr.JPG (97.79 KB, 720x960 - viewed 435 times.)

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 03:40:55 PM »

The trick is to get it all into a tabletop rack of say 36" tall maximum.
N6YW
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 07:08:20 PM »

Even though I am considering this build, I just got word today about an RCA transmitter that may become mine! This is a real heavy metal box, around a 1000 lbs and there's some pertinent history behind it. This is also a large transmitter, so I might consider downsizing my build project to a more manageable size, like a Globe King 500. At any rate, I am going to build one FO SHO!

KE6DF

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 07:37:51 PM »

805 tubes make good modulators also. A pair would mod a 500w input transmitter and a quad for 1Kw.

A plus for 805 is that old US made ones are fairly easy to come by, but also there are new ones made in China for the audio world.

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 07:53:26 PM »

You just can't beat a pair of 4-1000's modulated by a pair.  That and a good antenna and you will be the channel master for sure.
Joe, W3GMS   

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2012, 10:02:33 PM »

Having said "it must kick ass",  ...

Pair of 4-400s modulated by another pair.

Chris

or 3-500Z's by same. They are $150 each from China, easy to use, and will be around for a long time due to all the amps that used them.

If that is not kick-assy enough then go to 800W+ non-glow ceramics, or do something technical like a 3CX3000 modded by a PWM 3CX3000.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2012, 10:24:32 PM »

Hi - you mentioned a single tube modulator a couple of times.  This is certainly the best _SOUNDING_ option (assuming it is designed and built correctly), but uses unusual circuitry, as compared to a transformer coupled modulator.

I have built a number of single tube modulators that use pulse width modulation - fantastic sound, DC coupled, no mod transformer, very efficient (90 percent for the modulator is typical).

Any other type of single tube modulator (analog-series-modulator) would be far too inefficient to consider, at least at the power level you're looking at.

Sounds like an interesting project for sure.

Regards,

Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
N6YW
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2012, 10:44:27 PM »

These are some nice comments guys!
I have been contacted off thread to talk about a couple of things!  Grin
Indeed I have some alternatives to digest here, but what a great way to
delve into the subject. So much to learn, thank you.

N6YW
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2012, 12:52:53 AM »

By the way, the transmitter I am looking at getting that I mentioned earlier is an RCA BTA-250K, in good shape.
Needs some cosmetic stuff done but it works and has been on the air in the last decade. This will be a great
schooling for me and give me some much needed insight on the "Bigger" AM picture. I have committed to the purchase for now, the rest is logistics and timing. Wish me luck but in the mean time 450TL's being modulated with 450TH's is very much on my mind too... or was it the other way around? I need sleep.
Goodnight, and 73.
N6YW

Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2012, 08:24:12 AM »

Why not a Cathode modulated 4-1000.

Good power output, no modulation iron required.

Screen modulated 4-1000 ala Slab Bacons rig good choice.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
w4bfs
W4 Beans For Supper
Contributing

more inpoot often yields more outpoot

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2012, 11:18:11 AM »

Hi - you mentioned a single tube modulator a couple of times.  This is certainly the best _SOUNDING_ option (assuming it is designed and built correctly), but uses unusual circuitry, as compared to a transformer coupled modulator.

I have built a number of single tube modulators that use pulse width modulation - fantastic sound, DC coupled, no mod transformer, very efficient (90 percent for the modulator is typical).

Any other type of single tube modulator (analog-series-modulator) would be far too inefficient to consider, at least at the power level you're looking at.

Regards,

Steve

hi Steve ... I have not been able to find any schematics for a single tube pulse width modulator ... maybe this is a gross conceptual error on my part .... consider me visually impaired ... a leg up would be appreciated ...73 ... John

Beefus

O would some power the gift give us
to see ourselves as others see us.
It would from many blunders free us.         Robert Burns
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2012, 09:28:13 PM »

Regards,

Steve

hi Steve ... I have not been able to find any schematics for a single tube pulse width modulator ... maybe this is a gross conceptual error on my part .... consider me visually impaired ... a leg up would be appreciated ...73 ... John

Hi, here is an article about tube pulse width modulators.  The article presents a very good fundamental look at PWM, how it works and presents complete circuits.  However, if you actually want to build a PWM transmitter, I can help with newer circuitry using more modern (and better) components.

http://www.classeradio.com/pdm_article.html

Regards,

Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2012, 10:09:46 PM »

How well would a sweep tube (or several in parallel) work as a PWM modulator? The high peak current and voltage capabilities have me wondering.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
N6YW
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2012, 11:04:43 PM »

Okay guys, let's slow down a bit here...
PW and Solid State ain't gonna fly in proposal, so let's get away from that stuff.
I am old school in the sense that achievable design elements for yours truly can
be obtained. I should take time here to emphasize that I seek a more classic approach
to this design criteria. I want to build a kick ass transmitter with tubes that are
obtainable, reasonable replacement cost and "Less is more" in mind with the design.
I would like to be able to achieve 375 watts carrier and legal limit output audio without
having to strain both the structure of the transmitter and my brain/bank account.
So far, the 813/813 and 4-400 designs sound to me like a good start, but...
Where do we land on that platform where you have no regrets? Yeah, I'm happy with this
and it will do the job nicely? When I think about these 3000 watt tubes and associated
hardware, I see the costs going through the roof! I mean, this is a hobby, not a business!
I think I can build a kickass transmitter for 2000 dollars or less.

PA4WM

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2012, 03:52:56 AM »

A single 4-400 is much better than a pair of 813's especially if its to be bandswitched....
Carl

A pair of 813's or a single 4-400 certainly looks nice in an old school setup.

But what is the difference between those two options, when they have to be bandswitched?

Martin, PA4WM

PA4WM / WM2J
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015