The AM Forum
May 13, 2024, 07:51:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: mod reactor  (Read 3117 times)
K5IIA

« on: December 09, 2012, 10:21:13 PM »

i just picked up a big mod reactor. it's a electro M-949350

only info i found was on peter dahl list. the plate on it shows 34 or something ohms and that is exactly what one of the windings is. i am not sure of my inductance meter but it shows only 17h or so on that winding. the other one shows less resistnace and also less inductance, much less, like less then a 1h or so. when i looked down the dahl list some i saw where some mod reactors has a second winding for the driver stage or something maybe.

but anyways i was wondering if anyone had some info on that. or if the two windings where supposed to be series. also if anyone knows where a link to a schematic for a RCA BTA-5R  that would be awesome because i guess this is what it came out of and i would like to see how they had it wired and if they had two of them or just the single reactor.

thanks
brandon.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

73, Brandon K5iia
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 02:07:39 PM »

I think that is the model that I am using on my Westinghouse MW-2. I found out that there is a proper way to hook up the reactor where the Pos connection from your B+ supply should be on the tap that is nearest to the core and the output , the tap farthest away from the core goes to the PA plate. The same holds true for the other winding that would go to the driver tube which in my case is a 4-250. The winding should not go in series because I would think the one for the driver would not be able to handle the current of that of the primary. It may be ok for lower power but I am not sure how this will work on a common core? My choke is rated at 25 Henry's. I think it is also rated at 5 amperes. Maybe you could PM Tim  HLR as he has a lot of experience with these and had an inventory of these reactors at one time. I think that reactor was also used in many other transmitters such as the Gates. Years ago I was able to find the schematics for these rigs but they seem to be gone now. I wish I could offer more exacting information but maybe someone will have it for you.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
KB5MD
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 02:18:40 PM »

Brandon, that mod reactor won't work for anything....just send it on this way and I'll take care of it for ya! Grin
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 02:28:29 PM »

Brandon, that mod reactor won't work for anything....just send it on this way and I'll take care of it for ya! Grin

I could use another one. Just weld an O ring to the core, attach a rope to it to hold your boat in a swift current Wink Wink

K5IIA

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 02:33:18 PM »

Thanks Terry, it just threw me off when i found the info on the peter dahl list and it did not show a second winding but then further down i saw some with a driver winding.

i have a mod trannie with a output for the driver tube but this is first time i came across a reactor with another winding for that.

even if it would handle the currernt, it woudl not be worth seriesing them i dont think becuause the inductance is below 1h if i remembor correct and my meter is half way correct.

I didnt figure it would roy, send me some cash and i will make sure to mail it to you in a flat rate box. hahah

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

73, Brandon K5iia
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 02:50:05 PM »

even if it would handle the current, it would not be worth series-ing them i don't think because the inductance is below 1h if i remember correct and my meter is half way correct.

I am no expert here but I think there is something wrong with the way your measuring your inductance? Glad I could be of some small help Grin Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015