The AM Forum
May 08, 2024, 09:33:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARC-2/2A radio set  (Read 4744 times)
K6KBE

« on: December 06, 2012, 01:43:00 PM »

Hello, back in 1964 I had one and then sold it years later, darn.  Got another coming and would like to hear from anyone using one and mods, restoration ideas.  Thanks.
KA3EKH

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 08:35:21 PM »

Finding the plug and the racks is a bear. Know people who built there own. Are you going to use the original internal dynamotor? Or build an external power supply? Had one years ago when I was a kid but never got it running. Have a friend with one that’s working. Do have a 618S, and an ARC-38 that I use on 7.290 AM and it lots of fun. Have a 618T with the head and most of the parts except the connector and that’s next on the list, just that it being SSB don’t expect it to be as much fun when working. Somehow it better running a vintage AM rig then an old SSB box, can’t explain why.

K6KBE

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 12:38:19 PM »

Well the project is to first make it work, then change to a external LV and HV PS.  I  have a switching 27 VDC supply that will go inside where the Dyno was.  That will power the filaments and the channel motor.  Several plans to modify the front to allow a separate RF gain control knob and replace the large RF out connector with a RF amp meter to match the Plate current meter and put the  RF out coax connector where the LF antenna connector is now.  Will keep posting as progress continues.

Mel
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 03:22:19 PM »

I have owned 2 of them and operated both stock with the dynamotor. It is an absolutely stable transmitter and T9 on CW full break-in.

The AM is a pair of 1625's modulated by a pair and the audio is military but adequate. About 25 Watts out. Very high quality construction - Collins all the way. With higher voltage the rig prolly do 40W out...

The weakness of the rig is the receiver which is broad as a barn. It has a tracking IF so the use of something like  Q-5'r or Q multiplier is tough because you have to follow along.

I have also owned an R-105/ARR-15 which is a similar rig but a recever only.

There are mods the decrease the coupling cap[s and tighten up the tracking IF. I will look for them.

Mike WU2D

These are the good old days of AM
K6KBE

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 03:56:25 PM »

Thanks Mike.

I have the article on the selectivity improvement.  Thanks anyway.  Someone also suggested maybe a PLL synchronious AM demodulator using the NE564.  I have not looked into that yet.  Need to get the unit here and up and running cleanly first, hi. 

Mel
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015