The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 10:46:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Would YOU Rent A Ham Superstation?  (Read 19950 times)
WQ9E

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2013, 05:51:58 AM »

There are also some very serious multi-multi stations outside of the country like HC8N:  http://hc8n.info/

Beautiful and geographically great for contesting.

Rodger WQ9E
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2013, 07:09:54 AM »

I note two very serious stations in the northern Catskills, just to my south...

Which makes me wonder who is it that had the $$ to put up serous stations there, bit towers, etc. plus a house, both in this general area? They are great locations, fwiw...

And, I could just drive over and operate the one in Windam, no problem, wonder what the price on that might be? Cheesy

_-_-bear

BEAR I know where you are coming from.
Here is a link to another multi-multi off of I80-W, before the Ohio border. World Wide contest station

http://www.k3lr.com/

The owner is Tim Duffy, RF engineer and CEO of several cellular companies. There must be easily $1 Million invested. Every band Every possible combination of antenna.....TX...RX. Legal limit amps that were designed and built by Tim, if memory serves me. Single band 8877. And the usual commercial offerings for HF rigs.

Fred KC4MOP
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2013, 08:50:46 AM »

Yea. Check out 4O3A. Down hill to everywhere. Achim did it up right.

http://www.4o3a.com

There are also some very serious multi-multi stations outside of the country like HC8N:  http://hc8n.info/

K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2013, 11:55:41 AM »

All of this for CQ CONTEST, CQ CONTEST, HELLO CONTEST
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2013, 12:41:36 PM »

Clearly this is not something that I would currently use, but it does have its place.  Some of our most senior Ham op's do not have the real estate or opportunity to have a station where they live.  So its pretty good when they can sit in front of this special Elecraft K3 digital box and have a very similar interface that they are accustomed to.  Those that have saved, the money is really not an issue.  I see it as much more than Echo link or IRLP. 

Some people are into Ham Radio just to talk to people and they really don't care about the equipment unless it doesn't allow them to talk!  Just tune across the bands and many op's are into Ham Radio for the social aspect alone. 

Joe, GMS       

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2013, 04:50:55 PM »

Yep, Achim is a DX animal.  We've been friends since the late 80's, mostly from 75M DX window.  He's the same guy who strung up a 4el 75M Yagi at 300' high between two apartment buildings in Belgrade, Yugoslavia.

On 75M, he always said, " I am running a four element wire Yagi between two skyscrapers at 100 meters."  That was quite a message.

To install it, he went over to the twin apt building in a suit - and acted like a serious KGB agent on a mission. Nobody said anything. He did have occasional RFI problems from the hundreds of occupants, but was on the air for years. Once in a great while someone cut it down... Grin

Yep, there's nothing like a Euro DX station saying to us in broken English: "Oh my God Old Man!  You are like local station! What is your antenna?"

Funny thing about that remote K3 video. They have the choice of running barefoot,  linear at 1/2 power or full power. I wonder how many guys, after paying $300 / month and having big expectations, are going to choose to run barefoot?  HA!

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2013, 05:14:27 PM »

Funny thing about that remote K3 video. They have the choice of running barefoot,  linear at 1/2 power or full power. I wonder how many guys, after paying $300 / month and having big expectations, are going to choose to run barefoot?  HA!

T

QRP aficionados who rely more on the power of the antenna then on the power in the box.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2013, 05:39:30 PM »

All of this for CQ CONTEST, CQ CONTEST, HELLO CONTEST

no no, it is much more important than that.  It's for "your FIVE NINE YOUR FIVE NINE"  or "599 599 5NN"

super super important.

But, on the scale of buzzworthiness, it's all pretty pretty low and sad.   W1AW used to be slightly buzzardly and was the real deal back in the 1930s, but even they have sunk to the depths of plastic radios and worse, Ameritron leenyars. 

While the slopbucketeers may drool over the high dollar plastique, an example of the ultimate AMishtivation would have to be a gallery of bc rigs such as the BC1F, with 51J1s and AR88s on the op table and a few OWL fed AWG 8 sky wires held to the heights of buzzardly tall shipdom by a pair of 100 foot Vesto towers.   That gets the buzzidated juices flowing far more than any bunch of overgrown TV antennas on a bunch of guyed towers.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2013, 05:54:30 PM »

Maybe we should all pitch in and rent one of these superstations and run it exclusively on AM during CQWW.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2013, 08:12:27 PM »

Looks like some high power FM stations up there too. I wonder what RFI issues there are up with commercial communications and microwave and the Ham station?

Fred KC4MOP
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2013, 09:37:50 PM »

Wasn't Nicky involved with that?

Yep, Achim is a DX animal.  We've been friends since the late 80's, mostly from 75M DX window.  He's the same guy who strung up a 4el 75M Yagi at 300' high between two apartment buildings in Belgrad.
WB2G
Contributing

« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2013, 10:36:52 PM »

If all goes well there will be a station for rent in Maya Beach,Belize this winter.Just need to figure out what to take and how to ship it.It almost looks like doing a 40 foot shipping container is the way to go.If anyone has any suggestions let me know.Joe.WB2G/V31WG 

"I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power."Benjamin Franklin
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015