The AM Forum
May 15, 2024, 10:20:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Name that mode. It's either AM or FM or both  (Read 2785 times)
w1vtp

« on: July 06, 2013, 04:00:57 PM »

What's interesting is the audio isn't half bad!  Maybe it's a SBE  Grin

I couldn't believe the spectrum displey.  I would've thought there would have been some noticable distortion during bessel carrier nulls.  Call letter withheld to protect the innocent  Wink

Al

PS:  The recording goes from AM to SSB and back.  It's the same signal

* AM FM WHAT MODE 2.mp3 (3442.5 KB - downloaded 223 times.)
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 10:32:49 PM »

sounded fine to me.  escept for the noise coming in.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 07:06:40 AM »

The noise sounds like SSB with hum or some horrible oscillations in his audio.
The FM'ing is a good possibility too.

Fred KC4MOP
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 09:28:21 AM »

It sounds like an AM signal to me, with some FM hum, most likely incidental FM on the signal and some oscillator pulling. 

A slower AGC setting on the Flex might make the reception more pleasant, as with that version of the software, the modulation generates AGC.  I *think* that problem is corrected in a later version, but it would still be better to use a slower AGC to prevent audio modulation of the AGC in general.

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
w1vtp

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 11:12:53 AM »

It sounds like an AM signal to me, with some FM hum, most likely incidental FM on the signal and some oscillator pulling.  

A slower AGC setting on the Flex might make the reception more pleasant, as with that version of the software, the modulation generates AGC.  I *think* that problem is corrected in a later version, but it would still be better to use a slower AGC to prevent audio modulation of the AGC in general.

Quite accurate, Steve.  Just a point: the version of software I am using (2.2.3) does use the carrier on an AM signal as the AGC level.  I would not tolerate AF stimulated AGC.  2.2.0 did use AF stimulated AGC - When I discovered that I promptly uninstalled that version and installed 2.2.3.

What you are hearing is the bessel null function stimulating the AGC.  

My point was that in spite of the awful looking spectral display where the carrier was disapperaing into the sidebands that the demodulated signal still sounded pretty good.

A previous post:  “…The noise sounds like SSB with hum or some horrible oscillations in his audio..”  Missed a detail of the recording.  In the recording I switched from AM to SSB to illustrate how severe the FMing and carrier nulling was and that in spite of this complexity, it sounded pretty good

Al
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015