The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:38:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Electrostatic painting  (Read 2986 times)
WB2RJR

1st BCT, 10th Mountain, returned from Iraq 11/2008

« on: November 20, 2012, 06:01:53 PM »

In my search for a local headline about my untimely accidental passing I have come up with an idea. I wish to paint 2 Rohn 25 towers I am putting up in Wyoming, they are not rusted, just dull looking, so it's a matter of them looking new.

I have a number of spray cans of zinc paint that is like 93% zinc (Rust-o-leum cold gavanizing paint) but realize in spraying I will waste most of the paint, especially on the thin crossbracing.

So I thought about charging the can negative and the tower positive or grounding it so the paint would be pulled to it and I'd get less overspray. Considered using my marine battery but not sure if 12 volts is enough.

A number of Google searchs has turned up nothing concerning the voltage used to do this. I did find out about zinc sticks and how I could basically "tin" the whole tower but have to heat it up and would take too long. I can of coarse buy an electro-static sprayer but that doesn't use the spray cans up I have, and what do I do with it then?

So has anyone tried doing this? Hooked up a battery or a power supply to a spray can and something metal and painted it.

What voltage do those electro-static sprayers use?

Advice, humorous or otherwise is appreciated.

Marty WB2RJR

AMI #20, GACW #786
K6IC
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 07:32:30 PM »

Marty,

Have you seen the finished result in using the Cold Galv sprays??

It is a quite dull medium grey.  It does not look at all like Hot-Dipped  new Rohn sections.

Others here,  K4KYV for example,  have recommended using Silver colored spray paint.  It seems to hold up well,  and looks more like the original HD finish.

To the Topic,  I have no experience with ES Spray,  but would guess that the voltage is reasonably high.    GL,  Vic
W4NEQ
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 07:42:44 PM »

12 volts is nowhere close to enough.  I believe that high voltage is required, and I sincerely advise you not to get involved in this approach.

The most efficient method to paint a tower is to use fuzzy mitts, one hand or both, dipping and gripping as you go.  One professional tower man I know sets his hoist speed very slow, and continuously does several feet per minute, alternating mitts and buckets as required for the white / orange.  Everything he needs is on his work platform.

Many paints are available - but spraying is rarely done.  

Chris
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 04:29:22 PM »

Do you want the tower to look pretty or preserve it?  If it were me I'd use PPG KL4400 for preservation.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
AB3L
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 05:52:35 PM »

The most efficient method to paint a tower is to use fuzzy mitts, one hand or both, dipping and gripping as you go.  

I saw the WQED tower locally getting painted last year, all 640 feet or more. Mitts and buckets only.

Bob
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 11:18:45 PM »

I had a power supply for that. It was negative 20KV to the object to be painted @ 1mA.  They repainted cabinets at work like that. The contractor came in and set them on insulating blocks and the paint stuck right to them, no real overspray. The man said the paint gun is grounded for safety and the object is charged.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 05:20:50 PM »

These days some spray paint uses Propane for propellant, so I'd not use it in a charged atmosphere.

Rustoleum has a professional division, they will sell you the paint in a can, you can then spray it electrostatically. Harbor Freight, I think sells a rig that does it. The powerdercoat rig might do the trick too, just swap out the gun?

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015