The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:37:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kahn AM stereo-how would you generate it?  (Read 1727 times)
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« on: October 04, 2012, 11:01:43 PM »

Looking at these diagrams: http://www.wa2fnq.com/fnq/amstrblk.htm
It looks like all it takes is the stereo sum to be delayed 90 degrees out of phase from the stereo difference, then the difference is phase modulated and the sum is amplitude modulated. I have read one place that mentions a 2nd harmonic component used to eliminate distortion. http://users.hal-pc.org/~jsgil/AM-Stereo/ISB.Txt

To me, it looks like the Kahn system is identical to the Magnavox system, just add the phase shift on the sum and difference channels and drop the pilot tone.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 11:25:03 PM »

Would the phase modulation also provide an SBE function? It was not clear to me how much 'deviation' the scheme uses. How simple is the RX adapter?

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 12:16:25 AM »

From what I understand it is very low deviation. What the end result of the modulation scheme is an ISB with carrier signal where the one sideband is the left audio and the other is the right. Now, as far as receiving goes, you got the correct way or the quick-and-dirty way. Correct way is to detect the AM, deect the PM through limiters to remove any traces of AM, undo the phase shifting, then run the audio through a matrix to get the left and right channels. Quick and dirty way is just simply two receivers, one tuned above and the other tuned below the carrier. Crude and doesn't really provide good stereo seperation, but it does work. I've also read that an ISB receiver with sync detector might work too. It might not be much of an SBE, but it might perform very well as an SBC (slopbucket confuser). Set ticking clock near one mic and talk into the other. Slopbucketeer hears ticking as they tune in one sideband, and talking on the other.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015