The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:23:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Using a UPS and Deep Cycle battery(s) to make a reeaaal man's 120 VAC backup  (Read 43150 times)
KK4YY
« Reply #75 on: November 05, 2012, 03:39:56 AM »

Jim,

My compliments to the guy who hired so many hams for your R&D lab! You all proved him right in doing so. Very interesting on waking the dead batteries. Maybe I shouldn't toss the ones I aquire that test "dead" so fast.

I've heard of the Ni-Cad "zapping" process some years ago. Burns out the "whiskers" as I recall. I've never been a big fan of Ni-Cads but when they were the best thing going, years ago, there was much talk about them and even some mis-information that lingers to this day pertaining to "memory effect".

Vic,

I'll check that Deka link, thanks.

As an aside; we use the Deka batts on some of our forklift trucks at my job, Huge, heavy, EXPENSIVE batteries in a big steel case. We had a driver of one who was disapointed with the batt performance over his 8 hr shift and took to putting the charger on equalize EVERY night for 16 hrs. I was working nights and his batt would get smokin hot! It put an irritating smell in the air from burning off electrolye. We had to dissuade him from that activity.

Yes, the sealed batts used for UPS's I was wondering about that. Didn't know they were any different in design but I had an idea they might be charged at the float voltage as it would simplify the design of a UPS and the duty cycle in that application would permit slow recharging. I've only seen gels used there to date.

As for using a 3 state charger, I may have a limitation there. Mostly I'm charging at an off-the-grid location with very limited solar power. Maybe not enough steam for all stages of that kind of charge. Also, the charge cycle has to begin again each morning when the sun rises. The charge controllers I've looked at buying vary wildly in how "smart" they are and how expensive they are. Some relatively inexpensive ones don't seem to have temperature compensation and that can be critical as my batts are not in a temperature controlled environment. They live in a shed. Plenty hot in Summer, plenty cold in Winter. With no temp comp the batts are going to be undercharged in Winter and Overcharged in Summer. Some do have ambient compensation and that's probably enough given that I don't have enough horsepower to heat up the batteries much. So the whole deal comes down to the classic engineering choices. I can spend a litte money and get good battery life or spend alot of money and get optimum battery life. Charger $ vs battery $.

Your most salient point, IMHO, you saved for the end...

"Good thing that things do NOT need to be perfect when dealing with batteries."

As usual, I'm beating myself up over the last 10% when I'm already 90% there. But let's not let this thread devolve into my psycholgical issues.

Speaking of this thread, I'm very happy to see it here on AMfone and it's popularity speaks for itself. It's about emergency power, really. Isn't there something in § 97.1 about emergency communications? Yup.

Thanks to all for their comprehensive comments.

Don
KK4YY
VE7 Kilohertz

« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2012, 11:34:27 AM »

Hi Vic,

Yes, mine too are the SW5548 and I love them. They are heavy and just seem to keep on going with no complaints. And one heck of a charger..80 or amps I think.  Yes, moved to the country, about 20 minutes from Vernon, BC and am loving it. So quiet and peaceful, and 20 acres to play on for my son and I. He's 10 and has an ATV, motorbike, go-cart etc and we are just now awaiting first snowfall....come on snow!! Smiley

If anyone wants a complete dissertation on battery charging, go to the Xantrex.com site and pick any one of their inverter/chargers, or solar or battery charger owner's manuals. They have excellent battery charging theory in there and how to properly charge flooded batteries. Actually, here is a direct link to one of the products I have, which works just great. Discontinued now which is too bad.  Great battery info in it.

http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Discontinued-Products/Link20%28445-0196-01-01%29.pdf

Cheers
Paul

Women. Ya can't live with them......pass the beer nuts!
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015