The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:06:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More on the ITT MacKay 3010C  (Read 1827 times)
W1RC
Contributing

« on: August 30, 2012, 08:56:09 PM »

Worked on the 3010C today.......the right-angle drive on the bandswitch was tight and that's why the knob broke off in my hand when I was looking it over in the flea market.  I overhauled it and it's nice and smooth now.  I am actually working on two of them simultaneously.  I acquired the first one in 1998 at Hosstraders when it was at Rochester NH fairgrounds.

Here's something amazing.  The chassis is cast aluminum with 1/16" anodized aluminum plates screwed to the top on which mount the modules, tubes and components.  There was evidence of visitors; mouse turdlets and mouse-pissolene residue.  However the metal cleaned right off with 91% isopropyl alcohol.  There is now absolutely NO corrosion on the metal.  That's saying something.  Mouse-olene is very very corrosive.   Fortunately it doesn't appear that they tried to eat the insulation on the wiring whcih sometimes is the case. 

The 3010C is a marine radio and was made in the early 1970s.  It has a flexible tape frequency display in 2 Kc divisions.  I need to figure out how to get the tape drive running smoothly.  The bases of the spools are spring loaded and the mechanism is belt driven.  Fun.

MrMike, W1RC

"It is a good thing we don't get the government we pay for."  Will Rogers.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 08:42:30 AM »

I have worked on one of them, they are a way-kool receiver with shielding out the wazoo. All of the stages in individually sealed compartments with a cast-aluminum chassis should make for a very stable receiver! Although a bit of an S.O.B. to work on. IIRC, there is one tube in them that is just about unobtanium.

They were designed as a high-end MARINE receiver, so it wouldn't surprise me to find out that there is some kind of anti-corrosion coating on them.

The tooth belts are available at local bearing houses, you just have to take the original ones there so they can match them up as they have no listing for receivers. The tape dial is another story, good luck on that one! ! ! !

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015