The AM Forum
May 07, 2024, 05:58:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CQ solicitation letter  (Read 15118 times)
Burt
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2012, 01:39:27 PM »

I have been known to stir things up a bit when board.

Just my opinion but I don't think that our enhancing international goodwill is going to keep our frequencies.  I also don't believe that Ham operators are on the cutting edge of technology anymore.  So I stand my earlier statement about Emergency communications. I don't own the vest or live and die for emcom nets but I do believe that with out it we would not have the political pull to keep our frequencies.

I am not going to say, "just my opinion" for who elses opinion would it be?
I am not going to say, " I don't think" but I will say what I do think.
I tend to go on the air when I am BORED.
AS far as international good will that is one of the criteria we get our frequencies
Part 97:
(e) Continuation and extension of the amateur's unique ability to enhance international goodwill.

However I saw nothing in Part 97 about contests
Burt
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2012, 01:44:38 PM »

Emergency communications ARE a large part HAM radio.

klc

I disagree
Contesting is a large part of ham radio.
Public service is way down the list.
Count the pages in CQ on each
When was the last time you heard of a big gun station setup for emergency communications?
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2012, 01:54:01 PM »

Part 97:
(e) Continuation and extension of the amateur's unique ability to enhance international goodwill.

However I saw nothing in Part 97 about contests

Contests enhance international goodwill. If you ever attended a contest party get-together, contest seminars, or contest presentations at any of the large hamfests or conventions, it would be readily apparent.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
K7EDL
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2012, 02:26:07 PM »

klc

I disagree
When was the last time you heard of a big gun station setup for emergency communications?

Field DAy

Eric
Burt
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2012, 03:22:30 PM »

klc

I disagree

Field DAy

Eric

Eric when I have seen and heard Field Day I never heard of any emergency communications take place. In fact just today there is an European Field Day and I heard and English station give a 59 then told the guy did he want the real signal report, which was a 57. The essence of my original comment was many permanently set up big gun contest stations which do nothing for public service and no one sets up big gun permenant stations for emergencies.
Burt
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2012, 03:54:59 PM »

Ive done lots of that in the past at both ends
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2012, 10:49:02 PM »

Sure, big gun at field day. The Irving club always has an amplifier or two present and they always have a tower they mount to a trailer, with a beam on it.
The amps are seldom fired up because the station is always on non-mains power at a common location and they'd have to run the larger generator to power the KW amps.
Most of them believe they do not need the amp for CW and SSB, so they avoid using more juice than necessary. They do not pursue AM for FD contest points because it required more bandwidth during that QRM festival and they are very polite people.

The whole field day timing is not optimal tho' it's always held when it is 103 degrees in the shade. I believe it is a yankee conspiracy. It might be interesting to hold two field days, one in the cool of winter. I guarantee more participation from the South.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
K7EDL
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2012, 10:57:32 PM »

Any biggun station can be used for emergency services if they have power.  Emergency services isn't just tents and wire in trees. all hams at any point might become involved in emergency services big gun or qrp  it doesn't mater.

Eric

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015