The AM Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:38:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I have to log in twice  (Read 38072 times)
W4EWH

« on: August 12, 2012, 10:41:01 PM »

When I try to log in to the board, it almost always give me a "wrong password" response, and then displays a different, larger login window. When I enter the same info in the new screen, I get logged in.

Please tell me how to stop this.

TIA.

Bill, W1AC

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 11:12:42 AM »

Bill, I'm probably not the best to try to answer this, but it sounds to me like a Java problem I've had with Firefox where the screen changes and everything appears larger when the plug in crashes. It sounds like there's a mismatch somewhere when you try to log in causing the site not to pick up your sign in until the 'change' takes place.

Check that your java updates are current with the version of browser you're using and see if that solves it.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 11:38:27 AM »

Todd I have had a smilar problem with IE.  It seems as if when I get the reject screen and log in on it using the same password and call, it takes it.  All my stuff is up to date.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 02:54:39 PM »

Okay, I think I misinterpreted Bill's original post to mean the icon/sign in window was reappearing larger. Instead it sounds like it's display the 're-enter' log in that shows up after an error in username or password.

I only get that window when I have a typo, so can't address the issue further. If it happens every single time even though you're certain it's being typed properly - I don't know what to say. Perhaps an extra space or other formatting issue is getting added to the sign in space upon loading.

W4EWH

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 03:05:16 PM »

Okay, I think I misinterpreted Bill's original post to mean the icon/sign in window was reappearing larger. Instead it sounds like it's display the 're-enter' log in that shows up after an error in username or password.

Yes, I'm getting the "re-enter" screen, which is larger than the login fields on the splash screen.

I only get that window when I have a typo, so can't address the issue further. If it happens every single time even though you're certain it's being typed properly - I don't know what to say. Perhaps an extra space or other formatting issue is getting added to the sign in space upon loading.

Sorry, I've  retyped the password multiple times, and I've used both IE and Chrome, with no discernable difference.

Bill, W1AC

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 04:02:05 PM »

Try changing the password.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 04:19:47 PM »

This happens to me each time as well....
Though once I have to use the "re-type password" dialog,
every time I come back to the page I do NOT have to log in again...
( Until I delete cookies, browsing history etc, of course.)

But the little log in dialog on the main page never works for me..
Hasn't in a very long time.

W4EWH

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 04:44:00 PM »

Try changing the password.

I did, and it made no difference.

Bill

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 10:45:56 AM »

Try this Bill:

Once you get logged in and look around, post, whatever, log out and try logging back in from the main page when it loads. I'm curious to know if it's something to do with the initial loading of the site by your browser. I have a dim memory from my mainframe days of a blank field loading with something like a carriage return in it due to a bug. I'm wondering if it's something like that.

Jim, W5JO

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 04:50:28 PM »

Todd, I just logged out, navigated away from the site then came back to try to long in.  I entered my username and password manually and hit enter all on the splash screen.  The site returned a screen saying wrong user name or password and asked me to log in again.

I manually entered the user name and password I used before and it logged me in without a problem.

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 12:36:05 PM »

No idea what it could be, guys. We haven't received any other reports of problems with it which leads me to believe it might have something to do with browser version or personal preferences/settings like cookies. It sounds like your initial attempts are presenting some additional unseen bit of information that is causing it to be read as an entry error.

W4EWH

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 08:30:48 PM »

When I try to log in to the board, it almost always give me a "wrong password" response, and then displays a different, larger login window. When I enter the same info in the new screen, I get logged in.

Please tell me how to stop this.

I may have found a solution: if I type in my password with a "Space" at the end, I'm able to log in on the first try. I don't know why.

Bill, W1AC

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 07:41:35 PM »

Had a feeling it was somehow related to a phantom carriage return or such. Sometimes it's a simple oversight when typing the password originally, other times it's some kind of software glitch that adds it. I've seen both.

Curious to know if you change your password once logged in does it get rid of it?

W4EWH

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2012, 08:22:21 PM »

Had a feeling it was somehow related to a phantom carriage return or such. Sometimes it's a simple oversight when typing the password originally, other times it's some kind of software glitch that adds it. I've seen both.

Curious to know if you change your password once logged in does it get rid of it?

I changed my password, and the problem persisted.

And lately, it's also giving me "Wrong password" errors even when I put the space after my password. I don't know what changed, since the added space used to work.

Please research the support files available to System Administraors for this bbs software, and see if there's a known fix.

TIA,

Bill, W1AC

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2012, 08:32:05 PM »

If it was a board software problem, why wouldn't it affect everyone. What browser are you using to access the site and/or have you tried other browsers. When you do log in, do you log in "forever"?

W4EWH

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2012, 08:47:03 PM »

If it was a board software problem, why wouldn't it affect everyone. What browser are you using to access the site and/or have you tried other browsers. When you do log in, do you log in "forever"?

I don't know why it doesn't affect everyone. It might be that a handful of using are doing something differently, but I am unable to guess what that might be.

I had the problem this morning with IE, but I logged out and came back to the board using Chrome, and it logged me on with no trouble. However, in the past, I have had the problem with Chrome, so I'm at a loss to explain that discrepancy.

I do log in "Forever".

These sorts of problems are every Sysadmin's nightmare, I know, which is exactly why the company probably has a support file on it. Thanks for looking into it for us.

Bill W1AC

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2012, 09:01:36 PM »

So if you log in using the Chrome browser, and you log in "forever", the next time you come to the board using Chrome, do you have to log in again? The same question can be asked with an other browser you also might use.

w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2012, 09:17:43 PM »

I have noticed an interesting behavior, that may or may not be helpful.

When I logged in a long time ago, I set it to be logged in forever.  When I start typing the AMfone url, it auto-completes because I have visited the site before.  When I hit enter, I get the typical AMfone home page, and it appears that I am not logged in.  But then when I click the HOME button, either on the left pane of the AMfone menu, or the home button to the left of help and search, I am immediately logged in.   

This works with firefox, chrome, IE, and even on my Samsung 10.2 tablet.   Perhaps this will help eliminate the need to type the user and password for other users that set to be logged in forever.   

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2012, 12:54:07 PM »

Why do you even have to type in the URL each time? Set the Home page as a (depending on what the browser calls it) "Favorite", "Bookmark", etc. or put a shortcut on your desktop.

Also note for this site:
Browser Settings Requirements: Javascript and cookies should be enabled for full functionality. Not doing this could cause login and maybe other features not to work properly.  You also need to be running the latest flash player.

W4EWH

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2012, 05:41:14 PM »

Also note for this site:
Browser Settings Requirements: Javascript and cookies should be enabled for full functionality. Not doing this could cause login and maybe other features not to work properly.  You also need to be running the latest flash player.

I have IE set to delete cookies when I close it, so having to log in every time I visit is the price I pay for some added computer securtiy. I accept that: it's not what I'm asking you to check.

The problem with having to go to two different login screens still persists, and tricks like putting a space after my password aren't working anymore. Please refer the issue to the software maintainers. TIA.

Bill W1AC

W4EWH

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2012, 08:41:16 PM »

This is extraordinary!

A few minutes ago, for the first time since I've been using this board, I typed in the URL, and was taken directly to the "splash" page without being challenged to log on. It's the first time I've been here today, and IE was definitely not running all that time.

Has the BBS software been updated?

Bill, W1AC

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2012, 11:09:27 PM »

Not that I'm aware of. Did your OS or browser do any upgrades in the time since you were last here? As Pete says, with only you and Jim reporting this or a similar issue, it's hard to put it on the BBS software. Enough members are running the same browsers and OS to show a common flaw.

Glad to hear it's working out now, at least. Sometimes we never know what was causing it, just that it's working correctly now. Good ol' magic.

W4EWH

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2012, 06:35:12 AM »

Not that I'm aware of. Did your OS or browser do any upgrades in the time since you were last here?  ...
Glad to hear it's working out now, at least. Sometimes we never know what was causing it, just that it's working correctly now. Good ol' magic.

The problem with magic is that it doesn't always work.

AFAIK, neither the OS nor my browser changed. Of course, M$ might have put something on the machine during "Patch Tuesday", but I didn't see any change in the board's behavior until yesterday.

In any case, on this computer, which is at my workplace and uses IE, the double-login problem still persists.

Bill, W1AC

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2012, 02:28:08 PM »

My shack PC (HP machine running Vista) hadn't been online for awhile to get Windows updates so I decided back around the beginning of the year to do that. After all the "required" updates were done, screen saver no longer worked. Both HP and Microsoft said to restore the machine back to the original Vista software and do all the updates again. Screen saver wasn't all that important to me, so I lived with it. Roll forward to several weeks ago, I installed the latest Flex software and screen saver started working again. The following day , turned on the machine, screen saver didn't work. Third day turned on the machine and screen saver worked. Fourth day turned on the machine and screen saver didn't work and hasn't worked since. Some times you just have to say " " and move on.

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2012, 11:32:06 PM »

In any case, on this computer, which is at my workplace and uses IE, the double-login problem still persists.

Dunno what to say. I guess it just doesn't like ya, Bill. Wink

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015