The AM Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:36:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Omni VII on AM?  (Read 16282 times)
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2012, 09:57:55 AM »

Only asking 15 watts carrier should be a pretty good ALC defeat already especially is the mic gain isn't too high.

I've heard some TS-590s that sounded OK. Same for the K3. OK means enough audio, audio response sounds like a human transmitting.
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2012, 10:34:39 AM »

I have a question concerning a modern SSB rig with AM capability, and this includes the Omni VII. On AM when the audio peaks go above 100%, does the negative cycle stay on the baseline (like plate modulation), or does it reverse phase and make a "wavelet"? Whenever a "wavelet" is generated, we have DSB with reduced carrier. Here in order to receive without distortion, you must use either a product detector, or a synchronous detector. A BA with a diode detector will follow the "wavelet" and the resultant audio will sound like hell.

So if the Omni VII makes "wavelets", then hitting 100% modulation should be done cautiously so that only an occasional "wavelet" is generated.

I attach a picture of a "wavelet" being generated from my Central Electronics 20A where the upward modulation is at 140%.

Jim
WD5JKO

* wavelets.jpg (203.7 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 377 times.)
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2012, 09:23:17 PM »

I have a question concerning a modern SSB rig with AM capability, and this includes the Omni VII. On AM when the audio peaks go above 100%, does the negative cycle stay on the baseline (like plate modulation), or does it reverse phase and make a "wavelet"? Whenever a "wavelet" is generated, we have DSB with reduced carrier. Here in order to receive without distortion, you must use either a product detector, or a synchronous detector. A BA with a diode detector will follow the "wavelet" and the resultant audio will sound like hell.

So if the Omni VII makes "wavelets", then hitting 100% modulation should be done cautiously so that only an occasional "wavelet" is generated.

I attach a picture of a "wavelet" being generated from my Central Electronics 20A where the upward modulation is at 140%.

Jim
WD5JKO

The answer depends on the waveform feeding the balanced modulator.

Sinewave will do what you show.

Properly polarized asymmetrical waveforms will simply exceed 100% positive long before creating wavelets.

The junk you heard me with on 10 meters today does just that. It is more forgiving of my slow peak limiter than plate modulated gear. A wavelet or 2 doesn't seem to be a problem once in a while. Same processing on a Valiant needs less density in order to not whack the baseline.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015