The AM Forum
May 12, 2024, 03:03:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RME45  (Read 1940 times)
Audio Man SWL
« on: July 22, 2012, 10:33:01 AM »

I have another question, there is a Jones plug on the back, and this unit did NOT come with the speaker, can/how would I connect another speaker to this unit?
I also plugged in headphones, but all i get is a buzz and the carrier needle goes all the way over to the right, when i unplug, it goes back to the left, so i would assume that the buzz isn’t there when i don’t have the phones in.
but i read in the manual where it says to NOT turn the unit on less there is a speaker, i have many speakers here, 6x9's and so on that i have put in cases for this type f use, but they all have small computer type male plugs on them.
any help is great, and many thanks again for the manual.

Justin
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 07:06:45 AM »

One of your 6X9s should work fine, the RME-45 manual sez its output impedance is 6 ohms - that's close enough.

Regarding the meter deflection, could be any of a number of things.  RF gain all the way to the right?  Is the receiver in "ON" and not "TRANS" or "STBY"?  Could be the IF stage is oscillating.  Or power supply problems.  Or a bad /dirty/mis-adjusted meter pot. 

The reason RME specifies that you need a speaker connected is because with no load, the voltages on the audio output transformer can become very high and it can arc over internally, causing damage.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 11:53:44 AM »

Uh oh, you've asked a good question.
http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=153833

More basically, clip with cutting pliers the connector plug off the end of one of your computer speakers if you don't want research and purchase adaptor plugs.

Follow the guidelines in the above thread.

Depending on the model year of your RME 45 and your construction skills an electronice knowledge you many need help on this one.  Looks like there's variance in the solution depending on model year.  You need to trace out the receiver to see if it requires a field magnet coil type of speaker and a resistor substitution for such.

RICK  *W3RSW*
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015