The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:06:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ERRRRRRR  (Read 13303 times)
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2012, 05:11:29 PM »

What size fuse is there to supply enough current to melt insulation?
Late model cars sometimes use environmentally friendly wire insulation.
The stuff does not hold up to hydrocarbons.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2012, 10:24:20 PM »

Dave it looks like #18 and not a chemical reaction. It was up by the connector so maybe there is a bad chrimp in the connector insert.
I didn't tear it down yet but got the truck back on the road tonight.
The fresh coat of tar under the bed and frame looks sweet.
K5WLF
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2012, 10:57:42 PM »

Shelby, mine's 2WD. I'd like a 4X4, but the price on this one was too good to pass up, and my old Gutless Cutlass was in the process of going paws up at the time. I lived for about 20 years in the Sierra Nevadas near Yosemite and drove 4X4s all that time. The old joke is that four-wheel-drive is only good for getting you stuck in places a tow truck can't get to, but with good tires and decent driving technique, they'll do very well. I had 50's era Jeeps, two different 1T military Power Wagons and a full-time 4WD Jeep Cherokee. The old Jeeps were the most fun, the militarys were the workhorses and, overall, the Cherokee was the most practical. There's definitely a difference in fuel consumption with a four-by, just from turning all that extra stuff in the driveline.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2012, 06:32:49 AM »

IMHO the Dakota was one of the best pickups ever.  The bed was the right size but it was smaller, got better gas mileage, and was more maneuverable than a full-size.  I bought one new in 1989, a 4X4 Dakota Sport with the 5-speed manual.  I took it to Kenya where it endured mostly off-road (even when you're on-road in Africa, you're off-road!) and then on to my posting in the Philippines.   Despite the fact that it got the hell beat out of it in Africa and endured the stifling heat and humidity (while generally idling in horrendous traffic) in the Philippines, it never let me down and sometimes ended up rescuing lesser vehicles that couldn't take the punishment.

I sold it in the Philippines in 1995 for $1000 less than I paid for it.  Of course, the ONLY thing that broke was 1 week after I got the deposit from the buyer the A/C evaporator sprung a leak.   The Manila Chrysler dealer wanted $700 and a week to fix it (in a country where labor was about $2/hour).  Looking at the service manual it didn't seem that hard.  My maid and I pulled the dashboard, replaced the evaporator, and had it back together in 4 hours.  The hardest part was getting the shifter console out!

I really miss that truck, although I gotta say my subsequent '78 F-150 and '94 Chevy K1500 were/are pretty decent trucks too - but neither began to approach the gas mileage and agility of the Dakota.

* dakota.jpg (143.88 KB, 960x665 - viewed 346 times.)

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
WA3VJB
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2012, 08:25:55 AM »

What size fuse is there to supply enough current to melt insulation?
Late model cars sometimes use environmentally friendly wire insulation.
The stuff does not hold up to hydrocarbons.

hey maybe it's one of them fusible links
WA1GFZ

« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2012, 08:37:42 AM »

John,
My brother is driving a '98 or '99 Dakota. It has about 200k miles on the factory clutch. I think he has a V6 in it. The only issues he has had is rotted brake lines a couple years ago anf the deer who ran into him on Thanksgiving day about 6 years ago. It just told me he thinks it needs front wheel bearings.
I would think the pump has a real fuse. I am sure the insulation is melted but up near the connector. The rest of the 8 inch run is fine.
Drove it to work this morning so all is well.
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2012, 04:04:11 PM »

I had to replace the brake lines on my Dakota too. Too bad they don't make them anymore, they were a nice truck. Aother granddad of mine has 2 of them, one's a 2006 with a 4.7 V8, and the other is either a 1997 or 98 with a 318. The older one has been beat around but still keeps going.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015