The AM Forum
June 28, 2024, 09:07:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An AM outing at Rattlesnake Island  (Read 9678 times)
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« on: July 15, 2012, 01:28:30 PM »

Some of the N.E. "locals" got together at the WA1QIX Rattlesnake Island QTH for some food, beer, swimming and did I forget to mention, more beer (oh yes, and more swimming, too!).

At the gathering:  Al W1VTP who does not show up in any pictures because he took all of them, Brent W1IA, Wayne WA1SSJ and Steve WA1QIX.  We have to do this again before fall !  THE place to be on a 90+ degree day.

Brent brought some REALLY great homebrew I.P.A. - WOW -, good food, a new IR gas grill.  A good time was had by all.

Breakfast

Swimming!

Out in the boat.  Another smaller island is visible in the distance.

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 01:35:33 PM »

Oh, in the top picture, Left to Right:  Steve WA1QIX, Wayne WA1SSJ and Brent W1IA.  Al W1VTP is taking the picture.

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 01:44:02 PM »

Looks absolutely great Steve.  I am sure all had a fantastic time.  Is there a portable Class E rig in that boat Wink

Joe, GMS 

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 01:56:31 PM »

Looks absolutely great Steve.  I am sure all had a fantastic time.  Is there a portable Class E rig in that boat Wink

Joe, GMS 

Hi Joe - yeah, we really like it on the Island.  No rig on the boat, but I do have a 400 watt class E setup in the cottage.  I think I've talked with you from the Island, but I can't remember for sure!

KA2DZT

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 02:51:10 PM »

Steve,

Looks like everyone was having a great time.

Hello to you, Wayne, Brent, and Al.

Fred
kA5WHO

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 04:56:48 PM »

Rub it in Steve.Glad you all had a good time ,maybe next time
dale/ka5who
w1vtp

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 10:52:44 PM »

It was great fun.  Steve, thanks. For the record, I didn't have any aches or pains what with the short hike I took.

Al
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 01:59:52 AM »

Where are the alligator clips?
w1vtp

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 02:11:09 AM »

Steve, for gosh sakes, show him your UNIX machine.  It's a built-in.  In the rafters  Grin

al
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 02:48:44 AM »

Steve, for gosh sakes, show him your UNIX machine.  It's a built-in.  In the rafters  Grin

al

Ok Al, here it is  Grin  Thanks!  Al took all the pictures shown here so far.

And yes, the machine does indeed have clip leads.  The array of resistors is there to slow down the fan so it's quiet  Wink
This unix computer is used for a variety of functions including routing, NAT, DHCP server, web proxy, firewall, VPN gateway and traffic shaping.  In order to get Internet on the island, I have a high speed link back to the mainland, and then bring it into my network, and ultimately provide a local access point here on the Island for other residents to use and get Internet.  This machine is critical to the operation.

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 08:12:44 AM »

al

Ok Al, here it is  Grin  Thanks!  Al took all the pictures shown here so far.

And yes, the machine does indeed have clip leads.  The array of resistors is there to slow down the fan so it's quiet  Wink
This unix computer is used for a variety of functions including routing, NAT, DHCP server, web proxy, firewall, VPN gateway and traffic shaping.  In order to get Internet on the island, I have a high speed link back to the mainland, and then bring it into my network, and ultimately provide a local access point here on the Island for other residents to use and get Internet.  This machine is critical to the operation.

Why does this picture not surprise me!  Saying that, I bet everything works extremely well!! 

Steve, they do sell PWM speed controlled fans these days!!

Joe, GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
W1IA

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 10:42:35 AM »

A great weekend indeed! Thanks again Steve! The water was perfect, both in temp and clear to the bottom. I was up early on Sunday morning and the lake was like glass. I watched a loon fishing; didn't get to hear his song though? I guess that's a night gig?

Brent

Run What Ya Brung!
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 11:18:22 AM »

A great weekend indeed! Thanks again Steve! The water was perfect, both in temp and clear to the bottom. I was up early on Sunday morning and the lake was like glass. I watched a loon fishing; didn't get to hear his song though? I guess that's a night gig?

Brent

Hi Brent, ANY time !

You are a great house guest.  Brent comes here, he brings home made beer, food, vegies from the garden - then he helps me buy a grill, puts most of it together, COOKS the food, cleans up the dishes, takes the trash with him back to the mainland.  I should be so fortunate all the time!

Thanks again.

Regards,

Steve

W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 11:54:44 AM »

Hi Brent, ANY time !

You are a great house guest.  Brent comes here, he brings home made beer, food, vegies from the garden - then he helps me buy a grill, puts most of it together, COOKS the food, cleans up the dishes, takes the trash with him back to the mainland.  I should be so fortunate all the time!

I wonder how he looks in a silk nightie.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 12:16:20 PM »

nice earth quake sensor Steve.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2012, 12:29:38 PM »

Now, thats a scarey thought...................  Shocked  Shocked

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2012, 05:49:34 PM »

Are there really rattlers there?
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2012, 05:55:36 PM »

New IR gas grill?  Been looking at getting a new small grill for here at home, and have seen the CharBroil IRs at Home Depot.  Is that what you have?  How do you like it?

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2012, 05:59:03 PM »

Are there really rattlers there?

Until about 1947, there were indeed rattlesnakes on the island.  In fact, there are snake skins on display over in Wolfeboro that came from snakes caught  here on the island.  There are a few people still around who remember seeing the snakes back in the 40s.  Many attempts were made to get rid of the snakes including burning the island over!!  But, the snakes hid in the numerous, deep rock crevices that are all over the island.  There are timber rattlers in New Hampshire, but I have personally never seen one of them.

Apparently, the final solution came from a combination of hogs brought over to the island to rout out the snakes, and people coming over and hunting them.  I do a LOT of hiking here on the island, and it's sure nice that the rattlers are gone!

Regards,

Steve

Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2012, 06:47:38 PM »

Yes, my wife and I have killed maybe a half dozen Western Diamondback rattlers over the last two months. In the lawn or near the house. They're bad this year.

I grew up in W9-land and never thought about rattlers at all out east. Thanks for the info.

Here, there are plenty, up to about 8,000 feet.

They sound exactly like Cicadas. A buzzing sound when you get close. But there's no cicadas around here.
I use a .357 with snake cartridges, my wife is fine with the sharp shovel.

Bill
W1IA

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2012, 07:54:57 PM »

Hi Brent, ANY time !

No "Broke Back Mountain" action Dave Tongue Just making sure I respect the invitation. I am striking up the brew kettle for some more IPA. Yummm!

* kettle.jpg (666.5 KB, 1536x2048 - viewed 335 times.)

* glass.jpg (711.49 KB, 1536x2048 - viewed 332 times.)

Run What Ya Brung!
w1vtp

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2012, 08:24:39 PM »

Brent

How do you handle the revenuers?  Are you keeping them out back somewhere?   Grin
W1IA

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2012, 08:44:28 PM »

Brent

How do you handle the revenuers?  Are you keeping them out back somewhere?   Grin
Laws changed in the late 70's. I can brew up to 1000 gallons a year for a family.
That's a lot of beer! Ha!

Run What Ya Brung!
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2012, 08:58:38 PM »

Brent

Laws changed in the late 70's. I can brew up to 1000 gallons a year for a family.

Thank Jimmy Carter for that one!

steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2012, 09:05:56 PM »

Brent

Brent brews an incredible beer!  I had one glass - what, maybe 12 oz?  I was unfit to drive (not that I was going to, but - MAN, what a STRONG beer!).  Ok, I'm not much of a beer drinker - largely red wine, but wow - what a punch.  And, the flavor was just wonderful - very, very nice.  The head lasts a long time, too.  Apparently, that's a mark of a good beer.  Looking forward to more this summer.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015