The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 08:33:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hallicrafters Early S-40 Voltages GOT IT, THANKS!  (Read 1298 times)
W9ZSL
Contributing

« on: July 13, 2012, 09:26:32 PM »

Yo!  As much as I love Hallicrafters I have to ask, "Why didn't the S-40s have fuses ??!?"  Lordy.  I took in a very early model because it used an 80 rectfier.  It belongs to a friend in Madison, WI.  The primary on the xfmr is open and sure as shinola exists, the filter cap shorted.  With no fuse, the iron died.  Picture a square black Carmel Apple with formations of Carmel 3/4 inch long hanging down like something in a cave.  That bad.

However, because of a power/accessory/exterior power supply socket, we can bypass the transformer.  It was designed to use an exterior supply, the 110 supply built-in or a universal supply.  Tricky because that Hallicrafter iron has more terminals (!?) than shown in the schematic by far! Built in terminal strip?  Had to be 12 terminals on the transformer and wires going to most of them  Spooky!  My diagram is later because the 80 was replaced by a 5Y3.

Bottom line: does anyone know what the high voltage output should be?  If my friend decides to have a restorer friend down in Madison replace an electrolytic I'm sending, I can build a supply.  I have a diagram but no voltages are listed at all.  I know this is not worth much work though the cabinet and front panel are really nice and the chassis could shine but not by me!  Same friend had me restore a 1930 Zenith Tuned RF radio a few years ago.  That sucker shined!

I've never seen an S-40 go for much more than $125.00, maybe 200.00 tops so far.  This could be earlier than most.  Besides my friend collects.  Who knows?  I might make a buck with a HB power supply for him if he replaces the capacitor and if we ain't fried by sun spots!  Mike - W9ZSL@YAHOO.COM direct, pleeze?   Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015