The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:38:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Walt Maxwell, W2DU, SK  (Read 20898 times)
w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« on: July 05, 2012, 08:13:52 PM »

M. Walter Maxwell, 93, died July 3, 2012 at his home in DeLand, Florida of natural causes.

Born in Daytona Beach in 1919, his parents were William W. Maxwell and Mabel E. Maxwell of Mount Pleasant, Michigan.  

Married to Harriette Coral Koster on November 6, 1943, until her death on April 20, 1985.

He served in the US Navy from 1944 to 1946 in Corpus Christi, TX.

Walt graduated from Central Michigan University in 1954, with a BS degree in mathematics and physics.

He was employed by Radio Corporation of America in Princeton, NJ from 1949 until retirement to DeLand in 1980.  Walt was responsible for the RCA Astro Electronics Division Antenna Test Range from 1960 through 1980.  More than 30 earth-orbiting spacecraft utilized antenna systems designed solely by Maxwell, including the Apollo Lunar Rover system that televised astronauts as they worked on the moon.

Walt was very active in Amateur Radio, licensed in 1933 at age 14.  He authored and published three editions of "Reflections, Antennas and Transmission Lines" since retirement.

He is survived by three sons, William W.Maxwell of Deland, FL, Richard A. Maxwell of Marietta, GA, and John R. Maxwell of Gainesville, FL, and one daughter, Susan M. Glasnapp of Delray Beach, FL, four grandchildren, Sheri A. McDonald of Lakeland, FL, Steven R. Maxwell of Tampa, FL, Douglas M. Glasnapp of Fort Worth, TX, and Christopher M. Glasnapp of Reston, VA, and two great grandchildren, Nicholas McDonald and Conor Glasnapp.

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
KA2DZT

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 08:29:52 PM »

This is really sad news.

RIP Walter, you'll be missed.

Fred,
KA2DZT
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 09:15:16 PM »

RIP, Walt.

Bill
WA1GFZ

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 09:20:03 PM »

Thank You for your service to the space program Walt.
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 09:34:52 PM »

My sincere condolences. From all I've heard he was a fine man and accomplished much.

I enjoyed immensely his reflections, circuits and constructions on this board.

RICK  *W3RSW*
W4AAB

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 10:24:36 PM »

My condolences to you and the rest of the Maxwell family, Rick. Always enjoyed your father's posts to this forum.
                                                 73 de Joe W4AAB
KE5YTV
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 10:40:10 PM »

R.I.P. Walt. May God bless you and your family.

Mike

Mike
KE5YTV  Dallas, TX
"The longest trip begins with a stop at the ATM."
w5tmg

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 10:47:57 PM »

R.I.P.
K5WLF
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 12:03:50 AM »

My sympathies and condolences to you and your family, Rick. Walt will truly be missed. R.I.P Walt.

Larry
K5WLF
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 12:13:03 AM »

Very sorry indeed to hear this news. Walt was a true treasure of knowledge and real world experience that we aren't likely to see again in our lifetimes, if ever. Like others, I thoroughly enjoyed hearing his firsthand accounts of events I'd either read about or had actually happened in my lifetime.

Thank you for updating us, Rick. Deepest sympathies to you and your family. You were blessed to have such an interesting father.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 06:30:05 AM »

I'm real sorry to read of Walt becoming a SK.  I am glad to have met Walt at Dayton a few years ago but am sorry we never had a chance to have a QSO.  May God have mercy on Walt and blessings on his family.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 07:57:27 AM »

Very Sad, indeed! Another irreplaceable talent leaves us.

God Bless, and Godspeed....................

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2012, 08:53:03 AM »

Rick,

I am very sorry to hear of your Dad's passing.  The first time I met you Dad was about 20 years ago at the Pak Rats Hamfest in Warminster, PA, at the old 611 drive-in. It turned out that we were tailgating right next to each other.  I think we did more talking than selling that day! 

You Dad great inspiration spread in many ways, not only here on AMfone but through many other venues. He was not only extremely knowledgeable, but maintained a true gentleman like quality regardless of the demeanor of the challenger. That takes quite a man to be able to do that and he did it in an example setting manor.  Hopefully others will learn from the example he set.  You Dad won my respect over and over again throughout the years. 

During this sad time, try to reflect on your fathers many virtues and realize that we all will miss him dearly and keep his virtues with us as we continue our journey though life. 

Joe, W3GMS     

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
WA3VJB
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2012, 08:57:56 AM »

Last year Steve K4HX drew a line under Walt's stature after we all began to enjoy his direct participation on this site. I can only hope Walt got a sense we appreciated what he has done for us in sharing his talent and observations over the years.

---

Reflections from Walt
« on: January 17, 2011, 01:01:44 PM »

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?board=66.0

We are most fortunate to have Walter Maxwell, W2DU as a regular here on AMfone. His experience and knowledge is vast with 70 plus years in ham radio and an amazing career in engineering.
//
Walt has posted some of his experiences and work in the past. These are too valuable to disappear after some time in the QSO section. So, I've moved them here for all to enjoy.
N4LTA
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2012, 09:25:20 AM »

Very sad news indeed. I always enjoyed my conversations with Walt.  He was a special talent and person.

A fond memory of my childhood was my father taking me out to observe the ECHO satellite. Walt worked on this project. He was the same age as my late father.

RIP

Pat
N4LTA
WB2CAU

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2012, 09:27:52 AM »

So sad to hear of Walt's passing.  We were lucky to have him impart his vast knowledge through his books and his postings here on AM Fone.

RIP, Walt.  You will be missed!

Eric

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid." -- John Wayne
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2012, 10:08:42 AM »

Truly sad but with more and more people living into their 90's and beyond there will be more time for the rest of us to enjoy their wisdom and recollections.

Carl
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2012, 11:22:00 AM »

So long Walt!
Thank for your generosity in sharing your experience and wisdom with us.  What an inspiration.

Bill

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2012, 12:49:57 PM »

Sad to hear Walt has left us.  He was a gentle soul who was always willing to help others.  RIP, Walt.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
KA3EKH

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2012, 02:14:00 PM »

Many of the greatest contributions to science and technology produced in the fifties, sixties and seventies were accomplished by men like Walt Maxwell. Men who were capable of developing new techniques and procedures, applying thoughts to reality and in so many ways developing the world we have today. They pioneered all of this at a time before calculators, computer simulation, CAD drafting, CNC manufacturing and the internet.
In my limited experience with NASA, AMSAT and a couple government projects over the last twenty years I sometimes feel that we have developed a culture where simulation is often more important than reality, the outcome of the research is not as important as securing the extension of the grant and nothing is as important as the political correctness of the project.
Engineers of that time, men like Walt Maxwell were true giants in comparison to the engineers today, and we all live with the benefits of what they accomplished and the loss of that generation is something we should all mourn.

Ray F
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2012, 02:48:10 PM »

It's sad to hear that Walt passed.

I've been thinking that one of his projects will be around for a billion or so years...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Lunar_Roving_Vehicle

klc

What? Me worry?
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2012, 03:00:50 PM »

R.I.P. Walt. You were a gentleman and a joy to know. Your willingness to patiently explain technical topics was (and still is) an inspiration.

Rob W1AEX

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2012, 03:09:34 PM »

I am deeply saddened to hear the news. I enjoyed corresponding with Walt and reading his posts on this forum, as well as meeting with him in person on several occasions at Dayton. A true gentleman, he will be sorely missed.

R.I.P.

Don, k4kyv

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2012, 04:13:01 PM »

RIP

AMI#1684
KC9RGF

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2012, 04:48:18 PM »

R.I.P. Walt.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print