The AM Forum
May 07, 2024, 03:57:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: West Coast AM Activity?  (Read 6923 times)
Bob Macklin
« on: July 03, 2012, 06:56:55 PM »

Is there any current West Coast activity.

I have not heard any of the NW 3870 group for a few years. I have assumed it's the crappy propagation.

Is there any 40M West Coast activity.

Several years ago I was monitoring the 20M West Coast activity on14286. But as it died out 14286 was taken over by SSB.

My current problem may be only the crappy propagation.

Bob Macklin
K5MYJ
Seattle, Wa.
K6IC
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 07:43:25 PM »

Hi Bob,

Well,  WC AM is alive and well,  however,  in the Summer Static Season,  activity is diminished.

On 160M,  the NW freq has been 1945 Kcs,  and there seems much less acitvity there in the past year of so.  For CA/NV,  the favorite freq is 1925 Kc.  You will usually find activity there on Tue, Thu,  and Sat nights starting about 9:00 PM these days.  Realize that WA is a bit of a haul during the Static Days of Summer.

3870,  in the AM Ghetto if fairly active,  but again in the Summer that is a bit of a haul.

40 M traditional freqs have been 7293,  and 7160.  Bet that is where much of the activity has moved.  Have not been on 40 AM for years,  know that it has become very active,  and there is a good chance that there are a number of QSOs across the band at times.

KL7OF,  Tum Tum (WA) Steve frequents this board and others know more about the PNW than I (believe that Steve is in AK for the summer).  I did work Robert,  WB6VMI near Eugene, OR Sat eve on 1925 -- not quite PNW,  tho.

There may still be early AM group/s on 75 M,  around 3755,  or so -- BUT with the sun rising so early,  that group may be QRT for the Summer.  In the Winter,  an early AM group is around 3875 kc -- mostly PNW stations.
Others here will know more.

Good Luck,  hope to hear/work you soon,  perhaps late some night.  73  Vic
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 10:33:19 PM »

http://www.ami-west.com/

The West Coast AMI page, which is updated with some regularity.

Note the "Stickham" video service is very fun, it allows you to see certain members simultaneously  via web cams during the weekly net.

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
WD8KDG

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 12:04:02 AM »

Hi Bob,

The NW 3870 group was getting on the air about 3 or 4 PM, left coast time. 75 meters is much better later in the evening, try 3885 starting 7 PM, left coast time. Plenty of Washington stations every evening.

For some unknown reason, 40 meters doesn't seem to be very active. But listen on 7.294 MHz starting 1:30 PM, left coast time. W6SGJ and AB7YD are on just about every day for 30 minutes or so. Once in a blue moon, others join in.

Craig,

Ham radio is now like the surprise in a box of "Cracker-Jacks". There is a new source of RFI every day.
K6IC
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 12:11:43 AM »

Good Point,  William,

YES,  there is the West Coast AMI Net on 3870 every Wednesday evening.  Pre-Net begins around 7:00PM,  and the Net begins,  usually at 8:00 PM Pacific time.  BUT,  in the summer,  this,  too, is a long haul from WA for OTA comms.

www.stickam/wj6w will usually get you to the audio feed of the Net,  and video from as many as six AM stations that are logged on.  There is also keyboard chat from those logged on to the stickam site.

There will be a Net tomorrow (Wednesday) night,  altho,  the Net might be a bit abbreviated due to the holiday.

At times,  Dave, WJ6W cannot host the Net,  so you could also try stickam/KO6NM,  or /WA6HCX -- those are the most common alternates.

I have not heard a NW station on the AMI West Net for about three months,  just due to propagation.  There are the QRO SW/SE stations   in there as well QRMing the Net on most Net nights,  which usually makes things difficult.  Life in the Ghetto.
Thanks for the reminder on the Net and stickam,  William.     DE  Vic
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 09:53:35 AM »

I'm guessing, dunno, that there is less pop density on the left coast, and fewer hams, plus longer distances, so less activity in general, and far less than eastcoast AM on 75m??

Wondering for a long time about this...  needless to say eastcoast AM is *very* active.

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Bob Macklin
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 10:32:24 AM »

Thanks for the comments so far.

Many years ago I could hear the NW AM group on 3870 in the late afternoon. As the sunspots declined so did their signals. I have been hoping the would come back.

I think there has been a major shift in ham radio.99% of the people use store bought RICEBOXES and really have no idea how they operate. The Seattle/Tacoma radio clubs are probably 90% 2M FM repeater oriented. ASeveral of the people I know here that have boatanchor equipment have just quit trying.

I know 75M conditions are better in the winter. I used to hear late night SSB QSOs on 75M from So. Cal. and Az. But not recently. I may know part of the problem.

Is there really any 10M AM activity? Now is the time of year for that. 10M operation has been improving.

Anyway, thanks for the comments so far.

Bob Macklin
K5MYJ
Seattle, Wa
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 11:16:38 AM »

" Is there really any 10M AM activity? Now is the time of year for that. 10M operation has been improving."

Yes, there is. And a bit 'o 15m. Last Fall there was a lot of activity; hopefully, there will be some more this fall.

klc

What? Me worry?
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 03:40:46 PM »

Bob: Check the threads on our 10 meter Band Watch section: http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?board=74.0
Although there is summer time activity (sporadic E) most of the hot stuff was occurring last Fall. So far, most of the good 10 meter openings have been trans-equatorial (North/South/Central America), even as I type right now.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 06:25:02 AM »

Thanks for the comments so far.

Many years ago I could hear the NW AM group on 3870 in the late afternoon. As the sunspots declined so did their signals. I have been hoping the would come back.

I think there has been a major shift in ham radio.99% of the people use store bought RICEBOXES and really have no idea how they operate. The Seattle/Tacoma radio clubs are probably 90% 2M FM repeater oriented. ASeveral of the people I know here that have boatanchor equipment have just quit trying.

I know 75M conditions are better in the winter. I used to hear late night SSB QSOs on 75M from So. Cal. and Az. But not recently. I may know part of the problem.

Is there really any 10M AM activity? Now is the time of year for that. 10M operation has been improving.

Anyway, thanks for the comments so far.

Bob Macklin
K5MYJ
Seattle, Wa

Activity breeds activity.  There are many that do a lot of listening but are reluctant to call CQ, for whatever reason.  Seems like you can tune across a dead band, then belt out a long CQ and you can have 2-3 guys come back to you.  And the more regular the activity, the more guys get interested and set up their own stations, etc.

That I believe is one of the reasons there's a lot of AM activity here in the northeast.   On the other hand, the ham population density is a lot less out west, and the distances MUCH larger, so good antenners, decent power, and propagation all play into this.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 09:37:30 PM »

Good to see you here Bob.

Serious AMers should also consider low noise receiving antennas and they come in all sizes from traditional loops, K9AY's, flags, BOG's, Slinky and full size Beverages.
If you can pick up 10-20dB of SNR it puts you in a whole new world.

Carl
K5MIL
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 12:14:35 AM »

Is there any current West Coast activity.

I have not heard any of the NW 3870 group for a few years. I have assumed it's the crappy propagation.

Is there any 40M West Coast activity.

Several years ago I was monitoring the 20M West Coast activity on14286. But as it died out 14286 was taken over by SSB.

My current problem may be only the crappy propagation.

Bob Macklin
K5MYJ
Seattle, Wa.

I have been calling  on 7.290  off and on in the evening between 5:00 and 10:00 pm MST but not having much luck. Summer time static is pretty high.

Bill - K5MIL
Colorado Springs, CO
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015