The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 12:22:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to make a concrete pad  (Read 14599 times)
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2012, 07:29:48 PM »

As a sort of followup to the posts about KA1BWO's new building, I'll ask a semi-related question.

I'm going to pour a six-by-six concrete pad to mount a small structure, so I need an education about cement and small building mounts.

• Do I need to have reinforcing wire and/or rebar in the cement?
  • What kind of cement is appropriate? Can I use "patching" cement?
  • If you've done this, please tell me what you would do differently the second time.

Thanks for your help.

Bill, W1AC

Bill,

Here is a pad I put in for my 12 X 24 Radio Parts Building.  In the first picture you can see the original building in the background.  This is the building I moved and put it on this new pad about 125' from the original location.  The second picture is me raking out the concrete.  The last photo shows the rehabbed building in its new location.  I still need to put the metal roof on the building.  It currently has a rubber membrane material which I installed after moving the building to the new location.  That roofing material itself is guaranteed for 25 years but I still want to put the metal roof on it.

You can see the technique that I use for building pads.   

Joe, W3GMS 

* P8230200.JPG (1369.42 KB, 2816x2112 - viewed 458 times.)

* P8230210.JPG (1389 KB, 2816x2112 - viewed 399 times.)

* IMG_0515.jpg (4588.43 KB, 4320x3240 - viewed 395 times.)

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2012, 07:34:09 PM »

that's a beautiful job, and a nice looking building as well.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2012, 07:41:22 PM »

Thanks! 

Someday I hope to get down to smaller projects like just painting a room!  I am trying to get all the big projects done before I get to old to do them!! 

Joe, W3GMS

KA2DZT

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2012, 07:58:34 PM »

Joe,

Are you sure you made the pad thick enough??  Looks like it could hold up a 5 story building.

Nice job and you're right, we're all getting too old for such big heavy projects.

Fred
W4EWH

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2012, 12:15:45 AM »

I'm going to pour a six-by-six concrete pad to mount a small structure, so I need an education about cement and small building mounts.

The second picture is me raking out the concrete.

Joe,

Wow! What a man!

The more I research the possibilities, the more tempted I am to change "Do it yourself' to "Call someone else"!

Thanks for showing me that it is possible to do it well, and by myself.

Bill, W1AC

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2012, 08:13:09 AM »

Joe,

Are you sure you made the pad thick enough??  Looks like it could hold up a 5 story building.

Nice job and you're right, we're all getting too old for such big heavy projects.

Fred

Thanks Fred, I like to only do those jobs once!  I feel sorry for whoever gets this house next and wants to remove the building and foundation!

Joe, GMS

The second picture is me raking out the concrete.

Joe,

Wow! What a man!

The more I research the possibilities, the more tempted I am to change "Do it yourself' to "Call someone else"!

Thanks for showing me that it is possible to do it well, and by myself.

Bill, W1AC

Bill,

Your pad is small in comparison.  Just level your ground out and get some 2X8 framing lumber and frame it out.  Put some supports around it to keep it from bowing when you do the pour.  Put a vapor barrier down and for that I like using the heavier grade of roofing felt pape and I overlap and tape the seams. On top of that put about an inch of crushed stone along with some re-bar supports to keep the rebar suspended in the mix and then I wire tie grid wire to the rebar.  You can get some small opening fence wire in small quantities at the big box stores that would work for a pad your size.   I would use at 3000 mix.  Around here its easy to find firms that will sell you a metered mix based on what you use.  So your small quantity should not be a problem.

Farming it out is no guarantee that it would be done correctly.  I have seen some very shoddy work by those that should know better. 

Good luck!

Joe, GMS

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015