The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 11:07:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: receiving loop tuning  (Read 1760 times)
ve6pg

« on: June 10, 2012, 02:36:59 PM »

..ok..i was wondering if any of you have sane thoughts, on the matter of tuning a coaxial loop antenna for peak. most of these things have the capacitor at the loop. that's ok for one spot in the spectrum, but when you tune away from there, the receive drops-off rather quickly.
 so, what if the loop was tuned indoors, with a tuning network in the shack?..might the length of coax affect things?...

..tim..

..sk..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 03:00:05 PM »

better to put a small dc motor on the shaft of the tuning cap at the antenna.  DC can be fed along the coax to retune the antenna as needed.  A small battery powered screwdriver can be converted to do this and is ideal since it already has the fwd / rev capability.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 08:08:10 PM »

Rich has a remote kit that you might be able to buy or get a parts list to build.  His loops are made for transmitting but the motor setup would work well. 

http://www.hlmagneticloopantennas.com/

I was going to try this $14 stepper motor controller with a cheap stepper motor to tune a cap outside on my antenna.  Never got around to it.

Search ebay for

C
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015