The AM Forum
May 15, 2024, 04:01:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Update ... 375 Watt Carrier, Current-Mode Class D  (Read 14507 times)
W1VD
Contributing

« on: May 25, 2012, 11:57:12 AM »

Long overdue update at:

http://www.w1vd.com/375wattclassD.html

'Tnx Fer the Dope OM'.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 12:29:50 PM »

Excellent break down, Jay. Certainly well thought-out and explained clearly if even I can understand it.  Grin

TNX fer posting it.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WA1GFZ

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 12:40:41 PM »

Nice Job Jay
Guys running class e might consider TLTs. I used them in my MRI linear project. Running DC through the transformer is possible if the primary is the shield since it is usually less resistance than the center conductor.
I'm having no trouble getting amps to work 160 meters through 6 meters.
TLTs have tighter coupling between primary and secondary. Smaller 25 ohm coax can be made using #24 single shielded teflon wire. I'm running 300 watts PEP class AB through it with 600 watts DC going through the shield with no real heating. slipping a couple wires through a core makes for a crappy transformer with lots of leakage inductance. Brass or copper tube primary is only slightly better.
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 02:03:31 PM »

Neato....

but the link for the 75m meter deck is broken?

just comes up to your homepage.

Thanks Jay.

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 06:18:44 PM »

Very nice work Jay along with the great theory of operation writings. I must admit that your "prototypes" look to good to be a prototype!! 

Thanks for the contribution!

Joe, W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
W3FJJ
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 07:12:23 PM »

Jay, Thanks so much for the update!, I been working on building one, and your design is
a big help!   73-Chuck W3FJJ
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 08:41:58 PM »

Beautiful work, Jay!

Well software documented, excellent layout, pictures - good explanations.

It makes me think of how far we have come in the last 15 years with this class E / D  AM ham technology and implementaion.

As usual, a FB engineering effort, OM.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 08:54:27 PM »

That's a better explanation that I've seen elsewhere. nice looking board as well.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
N4LTA
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 12:23:40 PM »

Jay,

Thanks for the design update. I am working on a 500Khz transmitter and this may be the next project.

Pat
N4LTA
W4NEQ
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 10:35:19 AM »

Very nice.  You do exquisite "prototype" work.     I was wanting to get a really good look at your 40 meter unit, but when I click the picture for enlargement, it links to an unrelated page ...

Chris.

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2012, 12:19:02 PM »

The link to your class D final for 40M worked fine for me.

Joe, W3GMS

WA3VJB
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2012, 12:47:48 PM »

Excellent write-up, Jay. Impressive results from noodling-out the improved efficiency on 40m, and then backfeeding the design down to 160 and 80 meters.

The combination of strong documentation and clearly done photography really enhance the text presentation, too.

W4NEQ
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2012, 01:07:09 PM »

Joe, W3GMS

The 600 pixel wide photo of the 40 meter prototype with one driver per fet is an html link.  When I click that, hoping for a photo enlargement, it takes me to "An experimental LF station WD2XNS" showing space weather.

Chris
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2012, 11:11:41 PM »

Joe, W3GMS

The 600 pixel wide photo of the 40 meter prototype with one driver per fet is an html link.  When I click that, hoping for a photo enlargement, it takes me to "An experimental LF station WD2XNS" showing space weather.

Chris

That html link has nothing to do with the photo of the 40M RF deck.  Its simply a link at the end of his posting to allow you to go to Jay's web page. 

"Back to W1VD / WD2XNS home page"

Joe, GMS

WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2012, 07:26:41 AM »

Jay,

I wonder how you are measuring the gate and drain waveforms. Specifically with your probe, I presume a compensated 10X, I wonder how you attach the scope ground return?

I ask because with the commercial class E 3 KW RF AMPS I'm testing (13.56 Mhz), I use a little spring clip ground attached to the probe (about 3/4" long), and that gives me the most believable scope shot of the gate drive. I get a very different picture with the conventional 3" ground lead and alligator clip.

Jim
WD5JKO
WA1GFZ

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2012, 08:44:04 AM »

Jim,
Make sure your scope probe is rated for the voltage you are running and the scope is matched to the probe. At 13 MHz you want a real short ground lead. I like the old Tektronix RF adapter with the spring loaded ground clip about 1/4 inch long. It slips over the end of the probe in place of the witch's hat. Be sure to check the probe compensation.
W1VD
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2012, 09:41:02 AM »

1st ... thanks all for the positive comments!

2nd ... links have been corrected or eliminated as appropriate.

Jim ... I remove the 'witches hat' as Frank called it and have a piece of #14 solid copper wound to accept the probe ground 'sleeve'. This is attached to a #4 solder lug that temporarily mounts under one of the screws that attach the circuit board to the heatsink. Length between ground and sleeve is very short. The assembly can be twisted around so the 1/4" fine probe tip can touch either the gate or drain.

What do your waveforms at 13.56 MHz look like? Wonder what FETs you are using up there. My next missions is to move up to 20, 15 and 10 meters with CMCD. Any pointers would be appreciated.       

'Tnx Fer the Dope OM'.
W4NEQ
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2012, 09:46:12 AM »

That html link has nothing to do with the photo of the 40M RF deck.  Its simply a link at the end of his posting to allow you to go to Jay's web page.  

Joe, GMS

Not that link.  The photo above it showing the wonderfully constructed 40 meter unit IS A LINK.  Usually when a photo is a link, it opens a larger photo.  I mentioned it only because I suspect it was an oversight, and I was wanting a really good look at the construction.

Chris

[ EDIT:  Looks like the photo link was removed.  Oh well, no bigger pic ... ]
KF1Z

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2012, 09:57:53 AM »

That html link has nothing to do with the photo of the 40M RF deck.  Its simply a link at the end of his posting to allow you to go to Jay's web page.  

Joe, GMS

Not that link.  The photo above it showing the wonderfully constructed 40 meter unit IS A LINK.  Usually when a photo is a link, it opens a larger photo.  I mentioned it only because I suspect it was an oversight, and I was wanting a really good look at the construction.

Chris

[ EDIT:  Looks like the photo link was removed.  Oh well, no bigger pic ... ]

Why don't you just right-click... "save picture as.."
Save it to your computer, and resize it?

That's what I did.. looks good enough.

W1FVB

VB Radio

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2012, 10:11:14 AM »

Thanks Jay, your work is a real inspiration. I've used some of your designs before with great success. That 375 W Deck is a beauty

73 Frits W1FVB

vbradio.wordpress.com
W1VD
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2012, 10:50:56 AM »

Chris ... here's a link to a bigger pix of the 40 meter deck http://www.w1vd.com/40meterdeck1800.jpg . Don't look too close, though, it is a prototype after all  Grin.

'Tnx Fer the Dope OM'.
W4NEQ
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2012, 11:00:54 AM »

Thanks for the hi-res photo.  I thought I did nice prototypes.  I WAS WRONG!

I'm building a class E rig that I want to bandswitch between 40/80/160 - with digital drive using one driver per fet.  I'm debating using IXFH12N100F devices rather than the FQA11N90.

Thanks for your inspiration.

Chris

KF1Z

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2012, 11:31:13 AM »

One thing I did differently with the 40 meter D rig I built a couple months ago, was to face the FETs the other way.

This way no "gate buss" is needed.

Soldered the output pin of the driver right to the gate lead of the FET, about 3/8 or 1/2" total from package to package.

I don't KNOW of any ill effects from that arrangement.

W4AMV

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2012, 11:57:11 AM »

Thank you Jay for the larger photo. The little rectangles between the drain of the driver and the gates of the FETS in your schemtiac are clear now. On 40 meters, what did you use as the required drain impedance... R//C equivalent?

Alan
WA1GFZ

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2012, 12:41:50 PM »

Gee, I bet the spring from a ball point pen could be wrapped around the probe and bent to make a nice short gound. The newer probes are getting smaller. I've also seen an adapter to a BNC in some probe kits so the probe is totally shielded. I've never used it but looks cool. A clip from a BUSS fuse holder might also work.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015