The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 04:07:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Band Spread dial readout for Sp 200 (BC-794)  (Read 3454 times)
N1KK

« on: May 23, 2012, 12:49:09 PM »

Now that I have this receiver working I was wondering if there is anyway
to replace the circular frequency readout dial for the band spread.
It's in bad shaped faded with some of the lettering missing.  It
also looks like someone tried to clean it and used a chemical that smeared
the ink.

Ken
N1KK
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 07:27:26 AM »

Wow Ken, no suggestions at all!

I make meter faces with a drawing program that allows me to exactly match both font, color, age and design. I have designed frequency dials with calibrated non-linear scales. Trial and error.

I am thinking about those stick on CD cover templates. You can print any design. Then you peel and stick it onto the existing dial.

Mike WU2D   

These are the good old days of AM
Rob K2CU
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 08:39:47 AM »

I don't know the diameter of the dials on your Sp 200, but I have often contemplating the same type of issue with my Drake 4 line twins. The transmitter (T4-XC) had a slight mechanical alignment problem that caused a small amount of rubbing between the two dial disks. I found that the clear plastic CD/DVD end disks that come in a 25 or 50 count package of blank CD/DVD's to be about the same size as those in the twins. On that ever famous long list, is the plan to fabricate replacement disks. There are clear printing sheets available for use with overhead projectors (remember them?). Loosely, and I mean loosely, I figured to design a circular dial (with software yet to be figure out) and attempt to scale it to the size of the originals. Then use translucent vellum type printer stock for starters and see if the new scale aligns with old when placed over same. Once the scaling is correct, then print onto the clear stock and figure how to cut and attach to clear CD/DVD case blank.

You can see why this is on the long list...."That T4-XC dial doesn't look that bad"...."it adds character".....etc.

I have considered, but not tried printing onto the clear laminating type of sheets you can get. They have adhesive on one side, with a peel off back. I don't know how well they will hold ink.

You could also try scanning the existing dial and then use Photoshop or some other art program to clean up the image and then print that out. Some allow layering so you could have the scanned image as the bottom layer and then create the new image on top on a second layer. then just delete the bottom layer before printing.

good luck!

W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 10:20:56 AM »

I have the original parts in good condition, PM me if you want same.

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
N1KK

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 01:10:45 PM »

I was thinking of the same CD/DVD labels.  I have made them for the wifes music
but to do a frequency dial would take some talent.  My problem is much of it
is missing making scanning it in a real hard job.   We would need someone
who might be restoring this receiver to be kind enough to scan in the dials.

Ken
N1KK

Wow Ken, no suggestions at all!

I make meter faces with a drawing program that allows me to exactly match both font, color, age and design. I have designed frequency dials with calibrated non-linear scales. Trial and error.

I am thinking about those stick on CD cover templates. You can print any design. Then you peel and stick it onto the existing dial.

Mike WU2D   
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 01:22:54 PM »

Ken,

The original scale on that BS dial was one only, 0-100.

Behind a single fixed window.

Anything else is ersatz homebrew. Tongue

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
w1vtp

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 12:49:13 PM »

I had the same problem with a SP100.  I took the dial off, had it photo'd and transferred the pic to a piece of copper clad G10 (in your case, you might have to do some more work to get rid of the smudges).  Then the copper was etched away and all that was left was an exact copy of the original except now the dial was a cool green with this neat pattern of the fiberglass underneath.  I shuda had the main tuning dial done also and it would really have been cool.

Worked very well.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 04:34:05 PM »

I had the same problem with a SP100.  I took the dial off, had it photo'd and transferred the pic to a piece of copper clad G10 (in your case, you might have to do some more work to get rid of the smudges).  Then the copper was etched away and all that was left was an exact copy of the original except now the dial was a cool green with this neat pattern of the fiberglass underneath.  I shuda had the main tuning dial done also and it would really have been cool.

Worked very well.

Al,
That is a great solution!  Never would thought of doing it that way.  I guess you bought pc board with the photo resist already on it otherwise you would have to use the spray resist which I never had that great of luck with. 
Joe, W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015