The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 07:36:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to reduce filament voltage  (Read 15123 times)
W8ACR
Contributing

254W

« on: May 21, 2012, 08:59:32 PM »

What is the preferred method to reduce AC filament voltage for large transmitting tubes? I have a filament transformer that has a nominal secondary rating of 10VCT@10A (Stancor P-6461). The actual secondary voltage is 11.2VAC. The tube is an RCA 8000 running about 1800VDC on the plate. I can think of the following options.

1. a variac on the transformer primary

2. a rheostat on the transformer primary or secondary

3. run the tube at 11.2VAC

I do have some large rotary rheostats that would be suitable. I also have a couple of variacs that would work. Waddyyall think? Can somebody point me to a reference section in one of the standard texts?

Ron

The life of the nation is secure only while the nation is honest, truthful and virtuous. Frederick Douglass
WQ9E

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 09:20:35 PM »

I don't have a reference to point you to but I prefer the low resistance rheostat in the secondary.  They are low cost (even if you have to buy one less than $5 from Fair Radio), it provides a bit of a "soft start" for the filament since it will help control cold start inrush current, and it is easy to set for the exact voltage you want.  If you have to drop a lot of voltage then a variac in the primary would probably be better or if you go with the rheostat option use a large low ohm fixed resistor to dissipate most of the power and use a very low value rheostat for fine adjustment.

Rodger WQ9E
WA1GFZ

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 09:21:00 PM »

Variac will make less heat and you can bring it up slowly. Either will work.
K3YA
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 09:25:23 PM »

For that small of a drop I would use a rheostat in series with the primary.  It's smaller, cheaper, doesn't dissipate that much power, and I like the  idea of resistance to limit inrush current.  I have used both rheostats and variacs but would only use the latter if  it was a big voltage drop and a big tube.  

My 4-1000 plate modulated transmitter uses a 6.3 volt transformer and a 3 position switch to buck/boost 115 VAC primaries  of the filament transformers, which is yet another option.
W4NEQ
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 10:35:15 PM »

If the overvoltage is present under normal load, I would vote for some R in the primary - the value will likely be more practical than that for the secondary.

KE6DF

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 10:50:53 PM »

A couple of other thoughts.

I have two autotransformers (one by UTC and one by Kenyon) that are made for solving this problem.

The have a bunch of taps at about 5 volt intervals from 90 to 135 or so.

So, if you have 120 VAC line voltage, attach the line to the 120V tap and the filament transformer to the 115V tap.

Otherwise, I like the idea of putting a 6.3 volt transformer as a bucking device. It will buck the 120Vac down to about 114 or so.

A 10amp filament transformer will buck a 10 amp line circuit.

Probably best to not run the 8000s on 11+ volts. Those babies are getting hard to find and you want them to last.

W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 12:50:04 AM »

BC transmitters most always use a pot in the primary rather than a Variac. 

Reason being the inrush current will not be limited by a VT as they are a constant-current device and that thump is hard on filaments.  Their tubes cost a lot and they are cheap bastards is another reason for that topology.

Pure R in the primary will give a bit of sag upon start-up.

BTW, the pot doesn't get a lot of adjustment after the initial setting, especially if you have a regulator ahead of it.  Those are usually found with fil trans that have a lot of reactance to get the most out of the 'soft start' requirement.

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
W8ACR
Contributing

254W

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 12:55:23 AM »

I'm pretty sure the T-368 has a rheostat in the circuit to adjust the filament voltage to the 4-400 final. Does anybody know the values of this rheostat and where it is in the circuit?

The life of the nation is secure only while the nation is honest, truthful and virtuous. Frederick Douglass
Rob K2CU
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 09:14:43 AM »

RCA specs the filament at 4.5A at 10V AC or DC.

Did you measure your filament transformer with a 4.5A load, and with what primary voltage? Stancor specs it at 117VAC primary voltage for 10.0VAC @ 10 A.

The P-6458 @ 5A might be a better choice.

IF you get 11.2VAC @ 4.5A, then you would need .2667 Ohms in the secondary to get 10.0 V.  It will also dissipate 5.4W. The primary current should be on the order of a half Amp, so you could play with dropping the primary. Frank's variac would give you the most control to correct for line voltage, or you could play with a reostat there as well. You would need something like 20-30 Ohms or so at 5W. A small 6.3 or 12.6V filament transformer set up in bucking mode with the primary is a good solution as well.

Then again, the tube is rated for DC on the filament, and you could gin up a DC supply, but make sure it has crowbar over-voltage protection. It could current limit at 5A, provide soft startup by ramping up the voltage, and have a crowbar set to 10.5V.

In either case, you need to know what the transformer does under load, as the transformer is the simplest, yet not ideal, solution.
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 09:54:31 AM »

I put an old 50 ohm 100 watt slider variable resistor in the primary of my twin 813 amp 's fil. Xformer.  The fil. Xfor was a Raytheon with twice the current needed.

RICK  *W3RSW*
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 11:54:13 AM »

It doesnt take much wire to drop voltage when a healthy current is involved.

With Teflon or other hi temp insulation a smaller gauge wire takes less length.

Aim for the bogey value at no load on the AC line and recheck that it stays within the 5% window at maximum drop. Here the drops are less since Im running stiff 120 and 240V circuits. Going over the bogey every 1% reduces filament emission life.

Carl
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 04:51:39 PM »

Interesting issue here.

If the measured voltage is 11.2 when 10v is desired, then it only makes sense to me if the filament transformer is designed for 110v primary when it is getting 124v instead. So the ratios of 11.2/10 is close to the ratio of 124/110. Both are about 1.12, or 12% high.

If so, then the turns ratio is 110/10 = 11.1:1

If the secondary current is 4.5A, then the primary current would be 4.5/11.1 = .405A (not counting XFMR losses).

So then if the primary voltage is 124V and we want 110v, then we need to drop 14V @ .405A. So R=14/.405 = 34.6 ohms.

The wattage would be .405^2 * 34.6 = 5.7 watts. Best to pick a 10W resistor.

OR a loss-less way is to use a series AC capacitor. So a 76 mfd AC motor starting cap has around 34 ohms reactance at 60 hz. Not very practical IMHO. But if there is 240VAC in the same transmitter, then a ~ 8 MFD
AC capacitor should work.  Smiley

Jim
WD5JKO

KC2FXE

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 06:10:09 PM »

I use a 2.5 amp variacs with my homebrew works great

John L.Ahrens Sr.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 08:28:24 PM »

With a variac or other autoformer, I would set it for over-voltage and then use a fixed resistor in the primary of the filament transformer to bring the voltage back down to normal and limit inrush current.  Excessive inrush current will eventually kill a transmitting tube.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2012, 11:49:05 AM »

So then if the primary voltage is 124V and we want 110v, then we need to drop 14V @ .405A. So R=14/.405 = 34.6 ohms

In that particular example a simple 12-14V 1A bucking transformer would also do the trick with minimal heat. Fine tune with a low value resistor or use an air wound resistance wire or use an open power resistor for a form.
W7TFO
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2012, 12:00:55 PM »

If you make the value fixed, you'll never be able to compensate for falling emission as the tube ages.

Pots are cheap and work best, Variacs are expensive, thump filaments pretty hard on start-up, and make hum fields.

73DG

KE6DF

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2012, 12:02:09 PM »

With a variac or other autoformer, I would set it for over-voltage and then use a fixed resistor in the primary of the filament transformer to bring the voltage back down to normal and limit inrush current.  Excessive inrush current will eventually kill a transmitting tube.

An NTC thermistor in the primary of the filament transformer (or in the secondary depending on value) would also help with this problem.

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2012, 12:50:00 PM »

Just FWIW, when I built my 4X1 transmitter 12 years ago I didn't have a 7.5V
@21A filament tranny laying around. I did however have a 6.3V @ 20A tranny with a 105v primary tap laying on the shelf.

A little head scratching and looking also turned up a 2A variac as well.
So........I just used the 105V primary tap and the variac and away I went. Since our line voltage here is all over the place, especially winter / summer.
Usually right around 114-115v in the summer and 125-126 in the winter, it seemed like the way to go.

I mounted the variac right on the side panel with a screwdriver slot shaft end and installed a pair of meter probe jacks to read the actual filament voltage.
I usually run it between 7.0 and 7.25v and that provides ample emission for the power levels I am running. It is happy as a clam and has had the same setup and same 4X1 final tube in it for 12 years now...........

The bottom line is just to keep it as simple (and inexpensive) as you can and don't over complicate something that doesn't have to be.

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2012, 03:32:46 PM »

My philosphy is to make do with what is on hand even if it takes a little extra work.

When starting with a new tube and adjusting the filament V for dead nuts on the bogey as an absolute max and maybe 1% or so on the low side with no other load on the AC line the emission will outlast most of us on here.
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2012, 07:28:59 PM »

Could a turn of wire be removed from the secondary?

Bill
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2012, 08:15:47 PM »

I'm surprised no one has suggested cannibalizing an old space heater and winding some of the nichrome wire around a ceramic stand-off for a primary resistor. It would not be so much as to get very warm and it would have a slight current regulating effect but I suppose that is a lot of work to fix a simple issue.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2012, 10:38:33 AM »

The space heater or clothes dryer suggestion has been around for so many decades as to be part of ham lore....I thought everyone knew that method Roll Eyes

It works for meter shunts also.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2012, 08:56:44 PM »

Well yes but I guess I hopelessly like the old ways. Not that I'd wear a coat and tie to hamcom in June.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2012, 12:19:07 PM »

I recall someone posting a salt water 50 ohm RF dummy load article a while back. Could use the same concept here for the resistance in series with the filament transformer primary. If the filament voltage is a little low, add some salt and stir. If a little high, add a little water and stir.. Grin

http://www.qsl.net/k5lxp/projects/SaltLoad/SaltLoad.html

Jim
WD5JKO
W7TFO
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2012, 12:41:40 PM »

I recall someone posting a salt water 50 ohm RF dummy load article a while back. Could use the same concept here for the resistance in series with the filament transformer primary. If the filament voltage is a little low, add some salt and stir. If a little high, add a little water and stir.. Grin

http://www.qsl.net/k5lxp/projects/SaltLoad/SaltLoad.html

Jim
WD5JKO

I think you're all wet! Wink

............OR..................

Add a little garlic and olive oil and wait for Slab to show up. Cool

73DG

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands