The AM Forum
May 14, 2024, 07:41:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another ground radial question!  (Read 2973 times)
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« on: May 06, 2012, 11:43:54 AM »

Over the last week, I have been repairing a vandalized radial system under a 4-tower broadcast array. It's the customary sort of thing, 100+ radials of #10 copper under each tower.

While scraping the dirt back with a Bobcat, it became evident that in the past, someone had installed a radial ring around each of the 4 towers; about 50' out from each tower base there is a circular ring of #10 which is soldered to and electrically ties all of the radials together.

Is there any reason why this was done? I've never seen anything like this before..

Bill
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 12:05:44 PM »

Old school thought was sometimes to include another set of 50' radials interspersed, and a bonding ring at that point to the longer set.

Seen mostly in cases where high E values were expected.

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 01:41:09 PM »

Done to try to improve the close in ground loss where RF current is highest and often included several connected rings every 10-15' or so.

It was seeing the latter that convinced me to lay down a 50' long carpet of 5 2"x 4" welded, galvanized and plastic dipped garden mesh at the base of a 100' shunt fed tower with 100 radials that wasnt getting out as expected. The mesh made a huge difference but all the work involved convinced me to go with elevated radials when I moved here.

Carl
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 02:26:00 AM »

Although written primarily with buried copper and copper alloy piping systems in mind, this should apply equally well to buried radials, ground wires, copper clad ground rods, etc.

Note that soils with the best ground conductivity (resistivity below 100 to 500 ohm-cm) may be the most corrosive to buried copper.

Preventing corrosion of buried copper

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 09:15:53 PM »

During the Beverage rebuilds the past 2 years I relocated several 8' copper clad utility grade ground rods that were driven in at shallow angles due to the solid rock only 2' or so down. It came out nice and shiny after 20-22 years in the mix of pine and hardwood forest.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015