The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 02:31:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Low End of 80 Meters Shared Spectrum?  (Read 2586 times)
AJ1G
Contributing

« on: April 24, 2012, 07:02:05 AM »

Sunday night, while trying to NCS the Old Military Radio CW Net on 3570 kc at 2100 EDT, I had really strong interference from a very wide high speed RTTY signal down the band, which seemed to be centered around 3655 kc.  It sounded like a military/commercial transmission, went on continuously for the duration of the net, and long afterwards.  I though it might be an image response on my BC-348, but I was also able to hear it, although at a lower signal level, on several globaltuners.com internet receivers in the north central and north eastern USA and Canada.

Is that part of 80 meters shared spectrum with other services?

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 01:50:37 PM »

It's supposed to be exclusively amateur in this country, but I believe it is shared spectrum in many others.

Here's another interesting titbit:

3860 kHz Interference

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 09:56:56 AM »

Might be out of EU. You'll hear lots of that stuff above 3800. I thought below 3800 was exclusively amateur in EU. Maybe not.

I did hear two pirate fishing boat ops on USB around 3508 a few weekends ago. Every other word was f*#$ (or some variation).
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 10:41:51 AM »

Sunday night, while trying to NCS the Old Military Radio CW Net on 3570 kc at 2100 EDT, I had really strong interference from a very wide high speed RTTY signal down the band, which seemed to be centered around 3655 kc.  It sounded like a military/commercial transmission, went on continuously for the duration of the net, and long afterwards.  I though it might be an image response on my BC-348, but I was also able to hear it, although at a lower signal level, on several globaltuners.com internet receivers in the north central and north eastern USA and Canada.

Is that part of 80 meters shared spectrum with other services?

How do you know it was high-speed RTTY and not some other mode?  Assuming that you weren't able to decode it, what is it about the audio that sounded "military/commercial" ?

--- Post No Bills ---
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015