The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:46:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: W5FRS station 808's, HK54's, pics and videos  (Read 5338 times)
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« on: April 22, 2012, 12:56:46 AM »

Here's an update on Dennis' station on 7160KC in Irving, TX.

http://bunkerofdoom.com/w5frs/2/index.html

The last item on the page is a video where the RF and AF chains are explained as far as tube types. Good info for open-minded 6L6 users too.

The default videos are large, and there are lo-res available for those who are impatient!

Look at the pretty 808's here, while you wait!

I spent some time over there, and ended up with a mil-type audio gen 50cy. to 500KC, and a HB amp with two 4CX250B's and what I believe is an SSB-220 power transformer in its PSU.

* 100_9983c_808_mods.jpg (645.95 KB, 1825x1653 - viewed 515 times.)

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 07:06:54 AM »

I guess his web server doesn't believe in streaming video. And Quicktime player....I have pretty snappy Comcast cable and this is pathetic.
Any way the video is very interesting.....Radio has been this guy's life.....

Fred KC4MOP
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 10:32:31 AM »

Nice tour and nice station. Those glowing 808s are very cool!

It's possible the mov file was not set for streaming or having it play before the DL is completed when it was created. There is an option for these in the QT software. Of course, real streaming requires a streaming server. That said, the video played after about a minute.

What was the noise coming from the receiver, powerline noise?
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 11:46:33 AM »

The noise was being picked up by the receiver, the usual buzz that we all seem to hear in this urban area. The volume should have been turned down before starting to record but we forgot because we were listening on 7160KC. The noise goes away when a carrier appears.

The webserver is dog-simple and very cheap to pay for each month. I don't want expensive applications or to pay for QOS for streaming.
The site has virtually unlimited bandwidth but I have no control over the path between the site and guest. Without a QOS arrangement and a player application on the website, the best way is to select the file and save it and play locally.

Dennis is very serious about radio, it is his only hobby except maybe a couple of old cars. He's a big CW guy so those that have an interest might catch him on the air in that mode.

Steve - K4HX
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 01:35:27 PM »

That was some nasty powerline noise, or so it seemed. I didn't get a look at the S meter though. Good to hear a carrier can cover it.

When saving or exporting a QT file you have three options if you check the Prepare for Internet Streaming box, Fast Start, Fast Start - Compressed Header, and Hinted Streaming. IIRC the first two work even if you don't have a streaming server set up. I always use the second. I've never tested to see how much faster (if at all) this setting is than the first, or with no quick start selected.

Anyway, thanks for sharing.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 08:06:06 PM »

The QT comes right from the camera. I don't have the software. I have a MOV to AVI converter to offer a smaller file format. Pretty basic around here.

Steve - K4HX
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 08:42:27 PM »

I'm going to DL the file and mess with it. If it looks like I can make any improvement, I'll let you know.
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 09:28:17 PM »

Very nice shack tour.  I downloaded the small file and had no problems.

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 12:02:01 AM »

I've compressed the original mov file down to about 11 MB and set it for Fast Start - Compressed Header. It's still 640x480. It should play much faster now. Is email OK to get it to you?
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 12:14:17 AM »

PM sent

W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 04:22:45 PM »

808's! Way Cool!  I'm in the process of building a rig with 808's and 800's old buzzard breadboard style.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 08:24:59 PM »

Back in the 1980's, Fair Radio sold the 808's NOS for 75 cents apiece. I bought a few and made a modulator for an AM Kilowatt rig. Used a pair of 6B4's in class AB1 to drive a quartet of 808's in P-P-P. With 2250V on the plate, these made a very reliable 600 watts RMS of audio. This was a good modulator that I still have today.

Jim
WD5JKO
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 09:13:55 PM »

5 years ago, there was a fest and a guy had about a dozen 808's NIB. $5 each. Dennis didn't want them, as he has enough. He doesn't wear out tubes very fast because he abuses nothing. I should have gotten them, but It's a safe bet someone does have them.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015