The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:27:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vanity calls  (Read 16501 times)
KE6DF

« on: April 10, 2012, 01:36:58 AM »

I applied online for a change to a vanity call about three weeks ago.

How long does it take to process these?

The FCC online system says the applicaiton is still pending.

How do they notify you? Do they send an email, or do you just wait for the license to come via snail mail?

Dave

W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 06:48:25 AM »

When you notice some old geezer is ticked off your call is better than his.
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 08:59:45 AM »

WB6IYH is cancelled.

KE6DF was issued a few minutes ago.

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/license.jsp?licKey=3367672

They don't notify you by email....
They just mail the license.
But, you're good to go with your new calll right now.

KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 11:47:47 AM »

Congrats Dave but now you have to reestablish your online and print identity Grin
KE6DF

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 11:53:12 AM »

Thanks.

The first thing I did was reserve my call as an Internet domain name.

Now I have to change my ID here on this site, or else just re-register with the new call.

dave

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 12:12:15 PM »

Yea but..................

I had thought about a Vanity call, but after looking for one I thought I would like, those were allready taken. As ugly as my call was (KB3AHE) I hated it since I got it as a novice. but, after all these years everyone knows it, so why bother to change it.

And.......................If you are the worlds worst procrastinator like me and wait till the last minute (literally the last time) to renew, you can do it instantly on line. If you have a vanity call, they wont re-up it untill your check clears the bank. (they may take plastic by now??) Not to mention that if you renew your "issued" call it is no charge.

"Never say never" but as of now I have no plans to change mine. Just too much to do for little or no gain.

Just my $.02 worth

Just a subnote: Now that I have a box of Timmy permanently residing in my radio room
                      I may do something with his call when it expires. (If I'm still around)
                      I think he just renewed it before he died.

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 12:31:06 PM »

Slab things are a bit different now.  You can apply for a vanity call only one time per day and everyone has the same chance that applied that day.  They accept payment by CC over their website.  It is seamless to move from the application to the payment page that gives you the option of mailing payment or on line.

If you do the online payment it is processed right then and you get a receipt.  If you choose one that is not in the mill then there is a good chance you will get it.  1X2 and 2X1 are the big draws.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 12:39:55 PM »

Wow! things sure have changed since I looked into it 10 years ago! ! !

IIRC, the fee used to be $75, but I think it is considerably less now

I know of 2 people who paid for 1X2 vanity calls and were able only to get a couple of really bad ones. After much razzing on the air, they then paid to get their old calls back! !  Wink  Grin And they are regulars on here!!  Grin  Grin  

KE6DF

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 12:45:38 PM »

This is the site I used to select my call:

http://www.vanityhq.com/

I chose one (actually, four) from the list of immediatly available calls.

Got my first choice.

I have an Advanced so I'm not eligible for a 2x1 or 1x2 anyway.

Plus I wanted the last two letters to be my initials and the first two to be easy to say and send in CW.

The fee was about $14 and they renewed my license all the way to 2022.

Dave

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 01:04:14 PM »

I remember several years ago talking to my XYL about vanity calls and dropping the "A" from my prefix since that call was now available. As she so eloquently put it, "why would you want some dead guy's old call letters?" Your call is unique to you as the first time owner. After about 10 seconds of thought, I dropped the vanity call idea from my mind.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
K3YA
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 02:58:41 PM »

About 10 years ago, when the vanity callsign thing just came out, I changed my call from N3BQW to K3YA.  After all these years I'm still not sure if it was a good decision. 
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 03:23:45 PM »

Thanks.

The first thing I did was reserve my call as an Internet domain name.

Now I have to change my ID here on this site, or else just re-register with the new call.

dave

Send me a PM and I'll take care of changing your call here.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
w1vtp

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 04:59:06 PM »

My call is the world's worse call.  NO ONE EVER gets it right the first time.  It's almost laughable some of the attempts that some folk make after hearing me drop my call in.  I take preverse pleasure in some of the responses.  

Change it?  Nope.  It's mine - no one else has ever had it.  Besides "Violet Toilet Paper" has a nice ring to it   Grin

Al
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 05:24:18 PM »

My call is the world's worse call.  NO ONE EVER gets it right the first time.  It's almost laughable some of the attempts that some folk make after hearing me drop my call in.  I take preverse pleasure in some of the responses.  

Change it?  Nope.  It's mine - no one else has ever had it.  Besides "Violet Toilet Paper" has a nice ring to it   Grin

Al

Put some pretty flowers on it and call it "Vanity Toilet Paper" Al.  Since I was first licensed I have held 4 FCC issued calls that were changed by the FCC to something that was atrocious.  I applied for a vanity call for the exact reason you state, no one ever got them right.  Now I don't have trouble.
K2PG

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 05:33:22 PM »

My old call, WA2HMH, was absolutely atrocious on CW. My current call is actually NOT a vanity call. I applied for it in 1977, when the FCC relaxed the experience requirement for 1 x 2 calls. Who was the original K2PG, if there was one?

Yes, the suffix is my initials...or you can remember it as "K2 Passing Gas"!
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2012, 10:08:02 PM »

There was a time when a K or W 1x2 was highly sought after and prized. it carried prestige -- an old timer with an Extra class license, or a very old timer who had given proof of having been licensed before 1912 (?)  (maybe it was 1924, can't recall exactly now.)

Sorry to be bitter about this but a guy came by my office last year with a W9 1x2 call and he didn't even know CW and that just frosted my rear end.   Angry   Some will take that personally-well don't, it is not meant to demean anyone, it is simply that something has changed and I am not adjusting to it very well. 

What about me--yeah I didn't wait 20 years either; i'm part of that group from back in the late 1970s who were led to believe that if we didn't put in for a 2 letter call right then and there we'd never get another chance so I did it but I was not happy about it.

I've never dealt with the vanity system and I'm not about to fool with it now if I don't have to.  K5UJ is a godawful call on phone but it is a little catchy on CW.     My favorite phone call is WB3Z.   I don't know who has that call sign, but say it a few times and you will know what I mean.  Of course it stinks for anything but ragchewing (that would be FB with me). 

ex-WB5KUJ

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
K7EDL
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2012, 10:55:35 PM »

Having been assigned Kilo Delta 7 Quebec Delta Uniform and knowing that I was being passed over by DX due to other stations not understanding my call or perhaps they were already answering another ham before I got that mouthfull out. I applied for and received my initials. My contacts went up the day I received my call.

Eric
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2012, 11:09:52 PM »

I got this one back in 1919, just after the Great War...  Wink

Like many of the two letter K calls, it was a first issue.   Didn't have to pay for it, ever.  As the story goes, back in 1978 there was a fat list of 2-letter calls available. Anything your heart desired. On a sheet of paper I circled fifteen choices, all double letters, like K1BB, K1CC, K1DD, K1EE, etc. By the time it got to the FCC, many were already snatched.  My thirteenth choice and least desired choice came up as K1JJ.   I could have been a contender and grabbed something cool like K1KW, K1AM, etc.  But noooo. Wasn't thinking.   There were many choices at that time.... sigh.

But all in all, I am very happy to have gotten rid of the old six-digit call.  No contest.  Vely happy ever since.  I figger I've saved several months of my life not having to say all those extra letters over the last 35 years.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2012, 08:47:01 AM »

Here's one thing I'll never forget:  I was 19 when I got my 1x2 call sign, a teenager.  I was at the Signal School at Ft. Gordon GA at the time.   I immediately had a badge made, the plastic kind you can pin on and wear at hamfests with my new call sign on it in big letters.   A couple months later I went to the Atlanta hamfest.  Here's this kid with a two letter call.  I got the fish-eye from a lot of OTs there.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2012, 08:14:55 PM »

I made the change strictly for CW, faster in a pileup and contest than my previous calls.

On phone I usually break in to a Q with just "H" Grin
WB3JOK

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2012, 08:28:47 PM »

My old call, WA2HMH, was absolutely atrocious on CW.

I've had the same WB3JOK call since 1976 when I got my Novice. Talk about an atrocious CW call, it takes about three minutes to send at 5 wpm  Grin
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2012, 11:07:55 PM »

My original call was WB0POZ, and you guys complaining about poor calls for CW don't hold a candle to that atrocity.  Nobody could figger it out on phone either, so out it went.  Also when I moved to Maryland I wanted a 3 lander call.

Speaking of bad calls I also briefly held S79ZWB for use during my frequent travels to Seychelles back in the early 1990s.  I coulda chosen any call I wanted but I let the Seychelles Post and Telecommunications office choose.... what a mistake.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
K5IIA

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2012, 11:21:46 PM »

way back two years ago i got kf5iia. i got the f outa there so i would not sound like a newbie.  Grin

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

73, Brandon K5iia
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2012, 02:03:27 PM »

How do you think I felt?? I had one of the first of a new series of calls. EVERYONE knew you were a newbie. Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes

Everyone used to call me "the KB3 GUY"   Shocked  Grin  Grin

With my call now being over 20 years old, and they haven't run out of those damned KB3 calls yet! ! ! ! ! ! !  Angry  Angry  Roll Eyes

The really sad part of it is that it shows how few NEW hams have been lisenced in the 3rd call district in the last 20 years  Shocked

W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2012, 02:31:44 PM »

How do you think I felt?? I had one of the first of a new series of calls. EVERYONE knew you were a newbie. Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes

Everyone used to call me "the KB3 GUY"   Shocked  Grin  Grin

With my call now being over 20 years old, and they haven't run out of those damned KB3 calls yet! ! ! ! ! ! !  Angry  Angry  Roll Eyes

The really sad part of it is that it shows how few NEW hams have been lisenced in the 3rd call district in the last 20 years  Shocked

I decided to get my first vanity call 29 years after first getting my license.

I would have kept the APEman call but too many people were asking for fills.

Glad I was able to get a REAL Extra call instead of a goofball Extra call.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015