The AM Forum
May 07, 2024, 11:33:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How To Restore A 25G Tower  (Read 13275 times)
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2012, 05:15:46 PM »

I never used this stuff on a tower because I don't have a tower and never had one but my father's former company used to make a cold galvanizing coating and I can't remember the name of it because its been so long but it was used on steel transmission towers for power companies and was guaranteed to last 20 years between applications. Don't know if it would even be considered cold galvanizing.  When I was younger and trying to preserve my beater cars I'd put this stuff on the under body of the car, a fringe benefit from my OM.  It was a sacrificial type of coating. Rather than just protect the surface from the elements by repelling water it broke down rather than the metal it was protecting. The stuff was like a paste once it set and didn't dry so it remained pliable or flexible.  My OM retired and sold his portion of the company to another big company 15 or so years ago. The product was industrial/nuclear grade not subject to some of the consumer type regs.  It worked.  I never had a rusted out car. It worked better than Rusty Jones type products that just coat the surface and trap moisture accelerating corrosion.  Point being, consumer grade products will only buy you a short amount of preservation unfortunately. If you can get a hold of something non-consumer you'd be better off. If I remember what this stuff was I'll post it.   It would benefit big antenna type setups.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015