The AM Forum
May 13, 2024, 09:33:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 807 amp questions  (Read 1390 times)
N4LTA
Contributing

« on: March 12, 2012, 08:53:35 PM »

I just powered up the dual 807 amp for initial testing and got the following results.

Amp powered up and has about 501 volts no load - drops quickly  to 400 volts with 20 mA load. I have a minimal amount of bleeder on the power supply board for capacitor balancing but not enough to bring the choke input supply to the critical current. Should I add enough bleeder to do that?

The grid has -125 volts of bias at standby and the tube is cutoff. When I switch the amp to operate with no drive, I get about 4 mA of current flow (plate and screen)  with -70 volt grid bias  - no drive - the rest of the bias will be grid leak. This to me indicates that the protective bias works fine?

While the amp was in operate with 4 mA of current flowing - I can turn both the grid, plate and load caps to any position and get no current change. This I hope is a sign of the amp being stable? I am a little concerned about stability with the tube bases mounted above the chassis.

The amp is a 80 meter monoband amp with two 807s and a pi net output circuit. It has a good stiff 400 volt choke input supply and a zener diode bias supply with -70 volts furnished from the supply and -10 volts furnished by a grid leak resistor. The grid tank is a T130 -6 toroid core with 56 turns tuned with a 120pF air variable. The tank has a 4 turn link to the 50 ohm input jack. The tank is coupled to the grids with a 100pF SM cap. Bias is fed to the grid through a 2.5 mH choke. Grid tank tunes sharply in 80 meter band at about 50% of capacitor meshed.

At 4 mA plate current  - the screen draws little current - only 5 volts or so across the 25K screen resistors.

I put some degeneration in the cathode (10 ohms) and a 47 ohm resistor in each grid and a 33 ohm in each screen grid to enhance stability.

With 50 ohm drive at 1 watt I get over 250 volts PP in the grid tank.

I plan to test it with drive tomarrow.

Pat
N4LTA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015