The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:04:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: recomendations on AM BCB reciever  (Read 6709 times)
wb3eii

« on: March 09, 2012, 03:32:19 AM »

I'm looking for a good radio to give to my father, he's at the age where the eyesight makes TV viewing a chore, and granted, not much 'good tv' exists.
 Preferably a minimum of controls,  on/off-volume switch, and tuning.
 Such a thing still available?
 When I was a kid, we had a beautiful sounding Philco, wish it still worked.
 73 AB3HT
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 06:53:24 PM »

www.amazon.com/SANGEAN-WR-11-Table-Top-Radio/dp/B001BGGD8A

Keep in mind that $85 is $8.50 " old" not so long ago.

And the standard for some years has been the Crane Co. CC 2 T, although price is more it has an 8 1/2 inch loop stick for AM reception.  He might not like the few bells and clock but it is a two knob operation in daily use.  Battery life on the pool deck is exceptional; large speaker, large cell batteries. 

Reviews, of course, for both are all over the place.

RICK  *W3RSW*
WQ9E

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 08:10:04 PM »

The GE (now RCA branded) Superadio III is another basic and simple to operate radio with decent performance.  Available pretty much everywhere and around $55 from Amazon, Universal, and others.

Rodger WQ9E
W1VD
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 10:27:52 PM »

Maybe a vintage AM tabletop or console? They're often available on Craigslist in working condition for reasonable money. Simple to operate and many have excellent sound. Might require some repair/maintenance over time on your part, though.

'Tnx Fer the Dope OM'.
Tom W2ILA

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 09:04:10 AM »

I gave my mom a Sangean WR-1 (AES has them).
Simple 3-controls = volume, vol/AM/FM, tuning
Beautiful sound with plenty of volume for the hard of hearing
Lots of sensitivity for both AM and FM.
External AM antenna input if that would be desired for any reason.
Reasonably rugged in case it drops to the floor.
Downside is that its a little pricy.

Simpler would be to restore an all american 5 AM radio - 2 controls = on/volume and tuning!

KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 04:27:29 PM »

I gave my ex a 1939 Zenith 10 tube console after she fell in love with it. Near mint original finish and I gave it a full overhaul, PP 6V6 and 12" speaker.

We are better friends now than before Grin

Anyway I strung a wire along the ceiling of an outside wall in her apartment which is mostly glass. Its on the second floor of one of the highest hills and it hears very well considering all the digital noise around. The built in Wavemagnet didnt work well at all.
wb3eii

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 06:58:48 AM »

I got him the sangean WR-11, $80, delivered to his door, He loves it.
 I have some AA5's and other vintage table radios in various stages of decrepitude, not enough time left to surplus after my job to do a respectable rebuild on these rigs.
 Thanks to all. 73 AB3HT
W1TAV
Contributing

The Glow of Wood and Radios

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 09:36:56 AM »

With a dozen or so modern  BCB-AM (SW) radios around the house to compare with , my XYL bought me the CC Radio-SW (C Crane company) It uses real switch positions for band changes, this would be of great benefit to someone with vision problems. As I use this for bedside listening, this is an important feature.  It has two options for battery's and comes with a wall wart power supply. At $125 it is pricy and I would not have likely bought it, however now that I have it, it is an outstanding AM-BCB receiver and work well on the SW BCB too! This is a good size radio, has real knobs and band switches!

Check out the Roberts Revival Radio @ $99 it looks like it might fit the bill too!

Steve - W1TAV
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 12:36:16 AM »

Although it is a portable, the massive chrome plated front casting and large speaker make the G.E. P-780F 8-transistor AM radio one of the best sounding ever and many collectors believe it is the best sounding portable AM set. It uses 6 D cells and will fill a room with transformer-coupled push-pull Germanium-transistor sound, has a large slide-rule dial with large numbers and two quite large knobs as well as a tone control lever and a push button to light the dial. The carry handle is of real leather, or I am fooled by it. They can be had for $50 in near-pristine shape. I have owned one for 8 years now and still think it's the best AM portable table radio around and would put it up against any AA5 and a few transformer-powered sets. It is made in the United States and there is nothing cheap about it unlike today's Chinese-made playtoy radios.

https://blekko.com/ws/G.E.+P-780F

* ge-p-780.jpg (29.49 KB, 400x300 - viewed 359 times.)

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
John K5PRO

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 02:31:33 AM »

The Zenith Royal 3000-1 Transoceanic has a very nice sensitive and selective AM section, whereas the FM section is pretty primitive. It uses germanium transistors throughout. The audio is also transformer coupled in/out. like that GE. It needed a lot of work to get rid of crossover distortion and the muddy sound at lower audio frequencies and levels. I restored mine a month ago.
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 10:38:24 AM »

Time to upgrade to one of the better versions of the Royal or R 7000's
John K5PRO

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2012, 11:52:45 PM »

I've kept my eyes open for a R7000 for reasonable price. I got the 3000 5 years ago in Electronic Surplus in Albuquerque, for $40 not working. Battery terminals were corroded on it.
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 11:11:17 AM »

I paid $100 at an antique shop about 5 years ago in near mint shape. Dont know what they go for these days....too much turmoil in the market.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015