The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:40:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NC-200: The Rest Of the Story  (Read 3143 times)
Jim/WA2MER
Contributing

« on: February 25, 2012, 04:07:23 PM »

I'm pleased to report that the NC-200 has been repaired, aligned, and is now fully operational.  I rewound the burned coil, but first I had to repair the coil form which had partially melted beneath the old coil so that I could get a proper, close-spaced winding.  Sanding alone wasn't going to cut it, so I smoothed out the really rough spots, then filled in the deepest ridges with Teflon plumber's thread tape and was able to get a pretty even base on which to wind a final top layer of tape.  I then did a complete alignment.  The radio is a gem, remarkably consistent in sensitivity on all bands up through 30 Mc, and surprisingly accurate in frequency readout with excellent end-to-end tracking.  It's a radio that I never knew existed, and my first National product.  It's a keeper!

BTW, there was a brief discussion in one of the earlier threads about the coil form material.  The manual states that all of the forms were made of polystyrene.

My thanx to Carl and my friend Roger who supplied me with wire, and to all of you who offered suggestions.

Jim
W2BVM

Anything worth doing is worth doing to excess.
Since you have to die anyway, you might as well die from something you like.
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 10:45:55 AM »

Congratulations! You now have a very nice receiver.

Enjoy.
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 11:17:19 AM »

Another Diamond radio with a new life.

Enjoy it Jim.

If you want a bit more skirt selectivity the KIWA ceramic filters will give that 2 IF stage radio a much needed improvement on crowded bands.

http://kiwa.com/kiwa455.html

Carl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015