The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 05:30:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some preliminary statistics from the AM Transmitter Rally Data  (Read 18354 times)
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2012, 06:28:59 AM »

Keep in mind Rob that many of us have been there and done that with restoring flea market treasures and homebrewing the big vacuum tube stuff.

Rob,

If you carefully read what I wrote you will see that it did not pertain to hams in your category.

Rob

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2012, 08:24:20 AM »

To allow one to be content to merely operate a Flex radio or some other robotically manufactured box and amp is to allow the nascent AMer to dwell in ignorance of the ancient texts, practices, traditions, culture and knowledge and this in my opinion, is to be discouraged.

That's akin to saying if you can't do 20 wpm cw you're not a real extra class ham, Rob.

I realize as we venture into areas of the hobby we individually enjoy we, by nature, want to help others enjoy it too. So we go about recommending what WE have found brings us that enjoyment. But to amplify that to "everyone should" creates an atmosphere where others could feel the lesser.

In it's place I'd recommend finding out what an individual is excited about and, if we can, encourage them along those lines with no boundries such as you've listed. In the end they may find themselves digging into the foundations of AM anyway.

W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2012, 09:22:18 AM »

Well maybe everyone should build a big plate modulated rig so they can really enjoy their Flex.

I can think of a few guys who can build pretty much anything they want.

They all use Flex 5000s.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2012, 01:22:07 PM »

They all use Flex 5000s.

Not all of us  Grin  Grin

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2012, 02:39:48 PM »

That's akin to saying if you can't do 20 wpm cw you're not a real extra class ham, Rob.

I don't see what the Extra class, CW and 20 wpm have to do with this at all.  I am encouraging the study of electronics and radio to achieve an improvement in the understanding of it.  Isn't that something all hams should do?  It is part of the beginning of Part 97.   Anyone can do it; No one can take a 20 wpm code test with the FCC now, at least not for a ham ticket.

Guys, all I did was offer a second opinion to this opinion:

<<I just don't want people thinking that using a linear is not "real" AM.>>

as a cautionary note.   If you want to argue about it okay but I am out of things to say.  I had an opinion and I exercised my freedom to express it along with everyone else.   I am surprised at the response.

Rob

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2012, 02:43:31 PM »

They all use Flex 5000s.

Not all of us  Grin  Grin

Us meaning us. I'm not spending that kind of money on a radio either Frank.
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2012, 04:05:23 PM »

If you want to argue about it okay but I am out of things to say.  I had an opinion and I exercised my freedom to express it along with everyone else.   I am surprised at the response.

Rob

Rob,

One of the nice things about this hobby is that a person has lots of choices they can make regarding where they want to go with it. I just view it as none of my business how another person chooses to enjoy themselves on the band as long as they aren't making other folks miserable. I hate to see little pockets of elitist factions within ham radio but they certainly do exist among advocates of cw, ssb, essb, AM, FM, VHF, UHF, RTTY, PSK, and on and on and on. I choose to have no part in that, whether it's Flex Radio smugness, boat anchor supremacy, class E worship, or my Johnson is bigger than your Johnson (that's E.F. Johnson for you degenerates).

I certainly didn't detect any malice in what you said but I don't agree with it. My thought is simply that if someone chooses to be a casual AM operator who pushes the AM mode button now and then, so be it. If they like what happens, they'll probably push it more often, for better or worse. At any rate, we're all entitled to air our opinions as long as we're civil to each other, but then again, that's just my opinion.

Hey, if I really want an argument it doesn't take much to get my wife ticked off at me!

Peace,

Rob W1AEX

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2012, 06:59:48 PM »

<<I just don't want people thinking that using a linear is not "real" AM.>>

I hear you !!  If it's AM, it's REAL AM. 

There is perhaps more than a speck of truth to what Rob W1AEX says about factions, and we really should not be like that at all.  It is highly counterproductive to AM.  Really, what is "better" is CLEARLY in the eyes (and ears) of the beholder.  There are definite technical advantages to various methods, there are size advantages, there are operational advantages, etc..... what makes one method better than another is STRICTLY PERSONAL on the part of the individual station op.

I've got to tell you, the SDR methodology is VERY attractive to me personally.  No, I don't have a Flex and probably will not be able to afford one for a long time, but I *might* be able to BUILD one  Cheesy  What running a Flex would do, at least for me, is to propel me into designing a high power, very efficient and affordable linear amplifier  Wink  and maybe that would be a good thing.

I personally enjoy building the solid state rigs because they are different, relatively untested (so there's a lot of engineering involved), uses contemporary components that I can actually get on my budget, and has certain technical and operational characteristics that are important to me.  Others of us like the rigs or technologies they are using, and they like them for their own reasons which are of course just as valid and important - and it's all great because we're having a good time which is what we're supposed to do!  Cool

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2012, 01:05:35 PM »

K5UJ said:
... is to allow the nascent AMer to dwell in ignorance of the ancient texts, practices, traditions, culture and knowledge and this in my opinion, is to be discouraged.

The parallel I drew, Rob, in the context of the above statement is quite clear. You're suggesting we discourage new AMers from going too deep into the newer AM technologies until thy feast at the table of ol' man Hiram, so to speak. THEN they'll be real AMers! Kinda sounds like the guy who congratulated me for getting my extra before the code requirement was dropped to 5 wpm. "AT least you're a REAL EXTRA CLASS OP now, Bud." Jeez!
Then there's the T shirts; "It ain't ham radio without cw!"

I'll never discourage a ham from operating AM of any kind and you know me, if a newbe WANTS to get into vacuum tubes, hi level plate modulation and old buzzard round tables I'll help out where I can. But if all he wants to do is join in the fun he hears us AMers having then a ricebox, amp and box antenna is fine with me.

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2012, 01:25:59 PM »

The unique challenges involved in attaining a satisfactory experience with AM require erecting the most efficient antennas possible, developing more sophisticated receiving methods, T/R switching and a transmitter, feedline and matching network capable of continuous  modulated QRO service with no time limit whatsoever.   This makes it necessary to attain some of the knowledge of the ancient radio fathers, through the hallowed texts of Laporte, Terman et al.

In your opinion, of course. No where is this written as law.

I agree with Buddly - this sounds alot like the elitist BS we've heard in the past from the minority; that CW makes the man, if you didn't learn the code or have to draw a schematic you didn't earn your license, blah blah blah. This kind of rhetoric does a disservice to AM in particular and Amateur Radio in general by alienating all the folks excluded from your statement.

Guys, all I did was offer a second opinion

Odd....the above doesn't read like an opinion. It reads like a statement of fact. I suspect that's why folks are objecting, Rob. We've been through this numerous times before on 'fone.

A prescription for more on-air time is what the AM Doctor would suggest. If such a thing existed.  Wink

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2012, 02:34:59 PM »

Actually Todd, he did make it clear it was his opinion.

culture and knowledge and this in my opinion, is to be discouraged.

But beyond that you hit the nail right between the eyes.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2012, 03:00:31 PM »

Good catch, Bud. I over-quoted the text that came across badly, but amended my mistake.

I'm sure Rob doesn't intend to infer such things beyond opinion, but it's easy to come across other-than-intended online as we've all found out at one time or another. This is what happens when we spend too much time in the virtual vs. actual world. Voice inflection along with the give and take of a face-to-face or on air conversation are lost. Been there, done that!

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2012, 03:51:11 PM »

Yes, the arena of written debate has many pitfalls.

I know what your saying, Rob, and there's no question that knowledge of the fundamentals has enhanced the AM experience for many. But I speak from experience here.
There are 2 on the air now with Flexs et. al. that I've helped in their endeavor to become hams. The only reason they considered ham radio was the computer. They come over my house and shake their heads at the antiques and have no interest in them.

What do I tell them next? "Before I'll help you guys any further you have to learn the ancient ways."

But I promise, if they ever ask about how all this got started I'll direct them to the fine history of AM for as long as they choose to endure it!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015