The AM Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:08:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: K7UGA special event station tonight on 75AM. Please stop by!  (Read 14188 times)
ke7trp
Contributing

« on: February 15, 2012, 01:43:46 PM »

I was asked to run the Arizona Centennial special event station on 75 meter AM tonight for the CADXA club.

I will be using K7UGA call which was Barry Goldwaters call. This is the CADXA club call.

I would apretiate it if some of you stopped by and gave me some a contact.  I will run on several freqs including 3705, 3880 and maybe 3855.  I will be dodging SSB traffic and the west coast AMI net on 3870.  My goal is to start around 7pm and run until I am tired. My brother will be helping me with the logs in the shack and he will take the mic from time to time.

I plan on using the T368C transmitter.  Anyone that does call will get a K7UGA special event QSL card.   I know alot of you probably talked to k7UGA on the radio before he was SK. 

More info here:

http://cadxa.org/

I hope to talk to all of you guys tonight on the band!  We have some storm systems moving around and if one hits, I will be shutting down. If you do not hear me you will know why.

I am excited about the event but a little nervous and very honored.

Clark
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 02:37:39 PM »

Peace through strength.

Good motto for lowband AM too.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 02:45:56 PM »

Peace through strength.

Good motto for lowband AM too.

talk softly and carry a big STRAP! ! ! ! ! ! !

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 02:58:33 PM »

The T3 counts as a medium sized strap these days!  

The DX club is not politacal at all. We have lots of members and politics is not ever a subject. Radio is!

Goldwater lived here and operated in our great state and some of his gear is in use for the event.

Should be alot of fun tonight!  I hope some of you guys stop by and give me a call!

C
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 03:16:14 PM »

I'll listenin from Ohio, Clark. If heard I'll put my .06 down and give you a hallar!

....and some of his gear is in use for the event.

I'd love to have his old auto-tune amp!! That was a beast!
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 03:21:10 PM »

Tell me more about it please. 

C
DMOD
AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 03:34:49 PM »

Should be alot of fun tonight!  I hope some of you guys stop by and give me a call!

I will try and contact you after I get home from work using my ricebox and Henry 2K-4.

I don't have my Viking I quite ready for prime time.

Phil - AC0OB

Charlie Eppes: Dad would be so happy if we married a doctor.
Don Eppes: Yeah, well, Dad would be happy if I married someone with a pulse.NUMB3RS   Smiley
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 03:51:49 PM »

Thanks Phil.  I am shooting for 7pm Prob break for dinner and then back on later in the evening.    Spin the dial and find me.  I am going to use other portions of the band and spread my wings a bit.  No sense is trying to sit in the Ghetto with all the SSB'rs
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 04:01:45 PM »

I assume that's 7 P.M. ur local time, Clark.

The auto-tune was a Collins military with a flat spiral output inductor. It ran a pair of 4CX1500s IIRC and needed only 200mw RF drive.

We had one at one place I worked. Used it for an RF calibration source and drove it with a GenRad! I wish I had paid more attention then. We're talkin' 1970's here.

ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 04:09:44 PM »

Yes. 7pm. Its 2pm here. AZ never changes We are an hour off CA. 

That amp sounds neat. I will have to ask some of the guys that knew him, more about his station. 

Here is a clip somone posted a while back showing UGA at the radio.  Kinda neat.  But I am just a kid that likes the history of radio!

http://youtu.be/5CVnzNNSsdU
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 06:39:38 PM »

Yes. 7pm. Its 2pm here. AZ never changes We are an hour off CA. 

Ok, so that's 9:00 PM   E.S.T.?  I'll look for you around then, if not before!

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 06:44:26 PM »

Ok. Thanks guys!
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 07:58:37 PM »

The DX 60 net is now on but will probably be gone by 9 PM your time. They are on 3.880. There is a local group on here now at 3.875 and they will go till about 11 PM. I'll see if I can hear you somewhere in between. Why not get on 3.885 or 3.890?

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 08:04:39 PM »

Thats the big trouble. We have SSB on 3870, 80, 85,88 and 90.  Also AMI net tonight on 3870.  I am just going to pick an open spot and start going.  When the AMI net starts we will likely go down to 3705 or 3720. Somewhere in there.  Just please look for me.   75 is very busy even now at 6pm.  I am firing up the T3 now and getting it loaded up into the V.
C
K5IIA

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 09:27:58 PM »

lightning poppin in the south

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

73, Brandon K5iia
K3YA
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2012, 11:29:25 PM »

On 3880 now with a good signal to the east coast.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2012, 11:34:48 PM »

Yup, he's having a pile up Grin Grin Grin I'm listening on GT CO node.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2012, 12:48:03 AM »

WOW. What a blast!   Thanks to all that helped out!  I wish I had more time!  We took pages and pages of calls. Rapid fire. The old T368C was a beast.  What a rugged transmitter. I keyed that thing hundreds of times tonight with no issues. I used the k7DYY D104 processor into the 600 ohm input on the T3.  Just a D104, A T3 and an NC183D.

The 70 Ft inverted V seems to work alot better since I moved the legs north and south instead of east to west.  I am now Broad side to the east coast and into Southern CA.  I worked San francisco at 40 DB over and then very next call was 55 DB into the east coast.  What a band.  I worked damn near every state across the country. I am going to have to sit down and see how many exactly.

That pile up on AM was a real riot!

I got to talk to alot of people here on the forum which was also very cool!

One thing I did not see comming was all the SSB that came in on the others AM carriers.  I would hear very clear calls and then when every one else stopped calling, it was Burp burp burp burp burp SSB. Once I started stating AM ONLY and I had some guys jump on SSB to let those guys know I was on AM, Things got better.  We also had alot of First time AM stations which is also nice.

Thanks again and maybe I will do this again next year. Thanks to the CADXA for letting me run the historic K7UGA call.

Nite.
kb3rdt

poop cup

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2012, 12:51:49 AM »

was a mess people having a qso I heard kc4ssb and someone talking to him made a mess over here to hear on 3.880
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2012, 01:36:37 AM »

I enjoyed just listening to Clark although I did call in too. He was getting pile ups like a DX pedition but he was talking to everyone in a calm friendly way unlike a DXpedition. What a fine signal, loud signal, too

Jon
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2012, 08:31:52 AM »

Great signal into Ohio, Clark! Thanks for keeping the ears peaked. I figured the locals would never give me a chance but patience paid off.

You done gooder!
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2012, 09:51:29 AM »

Oh man I really need to get sumting up for 80.  Sorry I missed the event Clark.  Sounds like you had a super-blast!

AMI#1684
K3YA
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2012, 09:57:17 AM »

Good job, Clark.  I tuned you in at about 11PM EST. and you had a big pileup going.  Your signal was pretty good out here on the east coast!  I enjoyed hearing the west coast stations work you and occasionally one of the "Tall Ships" would really stand out.  I don't think I ever heard and AM pileup like that before.  

It sounded like you were having a good time and managed the crowd very well.  Thanks for the contact and giving me an excuse to fire up my plate modulated 4-1000, a rig that I only run on special occasions.

DMOD
AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2012, 12:53:40 PM »

I heared you about 60% of the time here in the upper midwest and called in too about 8:30 your time.

I heard you mention quite a few times to SSB callers that you were in "AM Mode." Your rig must produce pretty good sidebands.

You did good handling the trasffic. Cheesy

Phil

Charlie Eppes: Dad would be so happy if we married a doctor.
Don Eppes: Yeah, well, Dad would be happy if I married someone with a pulse.NUMB3RS   Smiley
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2012, 01:32:28 PM »

Not sure on the Sidebands with the T3. Its a pretty much factory rig.  I think we just got alot of SSbers with no band scope and no idea I was on AM.  With the help of the guys and me switching to AM ONLY in my call, Alot of that went away.  I was happy to take any and all calls.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015