The AM Forum
May 01, 2024, 05:54:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Componant Replacement Technique  (Read 11419 times)
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2012, 11:25:42 AM »

I do the quig method.  It works, and I don't put the chassis undersides on display under glass.  I might be more discriminating if I were a pro doing restoration for a lot of money but I'm doing it for me and I am satisfied if what i do doesn't go up in flames (it's happened).

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2012, 12:49:49 AM »

Leaving leaky coupling/bypass caps in is
going to eventually Bite you

Very true.  But in some cases, for example, when you are increasing the size of coupling capacitors to improve the low frequency response, unless you suspect the original coupling caps may be leaky, the easiest and least damaging way is to simply bridge the larger cap in parallel with the original one without removing the latter. 

For example, you wish to replace the original 0.001 mfd coupling caps with 0.01's. Instead of carving out the .001 caps, just bridging in a new .01 will result in a total capacitance of .011 (if both capacitors are exactly nominal value).  In the  real world, the final capacitance will still be within 10% tolerance.  Most of the time, 10% doesn't have any significance at all, especially when you are increasing the stock value by 1000%.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2012, 12:28:30 PM »

Thats acceptable if the original coupling cap is film or disc ceramic. Paper caps, sealed or not, are 99.44% sure to have some level of leakage which will aggravate the grid of the following tube sooner or later.

Added caps also add to the cluttered look which may be OK based upon some shack photos Ive seen Grin
W9ZSL
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2012, 01:48:44 PM »

Thanks for all the good suggestions!  I'm going to take this a bit at a time and as long as I can get it to work, my friend will be happy.  It looks as if the filter cap has already been replaced but I'll check it out with my cap meter first.  One good thing about this rcvr is the power socket on the back.  I have a variac and a nice high voltage supply with a bridge so I can ramp the juice up slowly.  After a smoke test I'll dig into the rest.  Thanks again!  Mike-W9ZSL
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015