The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 03:31:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: American Radio History Site  (Read 3922 times)
W3GMS
Contributing

« on: February 06, 2012, 01:20:46 PM »

I am not sure if this has been posted here before or not, but if not here it is:

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/index.htm

Great source of vintage broadcast radio material.

Joe, W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
w1vtp

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 03:27:43 PM »

What I would really, really, really like to have is the printed page from the old call book, spring or summer of 1952 that lists my call as WN1VTP.  That would mean a lot to me

Al
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 04:17:38 PM »

What I would really, really, really like to have is the printed page from the old call book, spring or summer of 1952 that lists my call as WN1VTP.  That would mean a lot to me

Al

Sorry Al but my call books jump from 1948 to 1953, otherwise I would have given you your page!  I do see your VT listing in the Fall 1953 call book. 

Antenna looks good.  Can't wait to see how well I hear you now.

Joe, GMS

w1vtp

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 03:25:35 PM »

Al

Sorry Al but my call books jump from 1948 to 1953, otherwise I would have given you your page!  I do see your VT listing in the Fall 1953 call book. 

Antenna looks good.  Can't wait to see how well I hear you now.

Joe, GMS

Joe

It's been a quest of mine since the beginning. I was too poor to afford the call book back then.  Somewhere along the way, I lost my original WN license.  I seem to recall that when you had a change or whatever, you had to send your license in and it was returned "cancelled." Got my W1 in the fall of 52. I'd love to get a copy of the page.  A long time ago I got confirmation - I think it was from W8JYZ the old QSL card guy that I was found in the spring of 52 call book.

Al
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 05:52:56 PM »

I've got a bunch of the old callbooks around here somewhere, Al. Next time they surface I'll see if I have that year/season.

Great site, Joe - a lot of good info in those thumbnails. I downloaded a few catalogs to peruse.

TNX fer posting it.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 06:03:58 PM »

That site is chock full of goodness.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 05:07:28 PM »

Steve & Todd,
Glad you folks enjoyed the link to the site.  It does have some neat stuff on it. 

Al,
When I upgraded many years from Novice the FCC examiner kept my Novice license.  Unfortunately if I would have known that, I would have made a copy of it, if they had copying machines back then!  I would love to have my cancelled original Novice license. 

For my FCC Commercial licenses, they would mail me back my cancelled license when I renewed. 

Joe, GMS   

K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 06:05:26 PM »

I made a point of keeping all my expired licenses all the way back to novice and 3rd class phone and all other FCC correspondence such as a warning I once got and an erroneous violation notice and so on.   They were all in a manila envelope but at some point around 20 years ago, probably in a move, I lost them.  I would periodically hunt for them when the fit came over me but never found them.  I eventually gave up, thinking I had mistakenly thrown them out.   Then, last summer I was cleaning out the basement to make room for my workshop and I had my old Army duffel bag out in the garage.  I was emptying it out and there was the manila envelope with all my missing licenses etc.  I was absolutely overjoyed.  That one find made the whole weekend worth while.  Now they're all in a fireproof lockbox.  I am not losing them again. 

Al, I hope you get a callbook entry or some other listing.  Remember back when FCC granted Extra and 2 letter call privs to anyone who could prove that they had been licensed before 1 May 1917?  Acceptable proof was a call book listing (or whatever was the Callbook at the time) because of the fire that destroyed the FCC's records. 

I imagine all eligible are SK now but for years there would be these occasional ads in the back of QST offering hundreds of dollars to anyone who could produce a page from a callbook in such and such year with callsign #XX in it. 

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015