The AM Forum
May 01, 2024, 07:03:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WA2PJP via KA1KAQ (recording)  (Read 5214 times)
WB4AIO
WB4AIO
Contributing

Better fidelity means better communication.

« on: February 03, 2012, 01:48:24 PM »

This recording was made on my modified Racal RA6790/GM today on 7285 kHz about half an hour ago. Mostly in the 7.5 kHz bandwidth, but you can hear me open it up to 20 kHz briefly near the beginning of the recording:

http://liberty.3950.net/WA2PJP%20via%20KA1KAQ%207285%201PM%20ET%2020120203.mp3

All the best,

Kevin, WB4AIO.

WA3VJB
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 01:53:29 PM »

Schweet.

Y'know, fully open didn't add that much, a little tizz, but not so much. 
Plenty of signal too, so the S/N ratio didn't change much.

WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 01:59:00 PM »

Tough copy on the Chessy Bay Global tuner due to SW BC.
But I got the jest of it.

Hi Paul!
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 04:22:32 PM »

Great recording Kevin! I noticed quite a bit of difference when you widened up the receiver. 
Joe, W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 08:12:52 PM »

Damn, Joe sounds great!  Just like in person with some low end.  I'm used to hearing him on his stock Apache and other narrow rigs.  

Finish up that homebrew hi-fi 4X1, OM....  Wink

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 12:48:17 AM »

What a great recording no buzzies, multipath distortion, or QRM - thanks for posting it Kevin!

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
WB4AIO
WB4AIO
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 04:44:11 AM »

Thanks, guys -- glad you enjoyed it. I am happy to have caught the historic occasion...

Kevin.

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 11:32:44 PM »

Just getting caught up but wanted to say thanks so much for cutting that recording, Kevin. Sounds like Joe is right here in the room with me. It really brightened up when you opened the receiver to 20KHz. Listened to some of it at Steve's place but wasn't as focused as now.

There's a bit of a story behind the scenes involving some trimming to the new 40m dipole. Joe had asked if there was anything I needed when he came down - parts, etc. I asked if he could bring his MFJ analyzer along so we could get a look at the 80 & 40m aerials as I couldn't get the 40 to load without arcing on the big rig. 80 was dead nuts on where it was cut for. 40 was, to put it mildly, off a bit. Or a lot, depending how you see single numbers and feet versus inches. After a trimming and hoisting party, it came into line perfectly and this recording was the first successful run of the big rig on 40m. Conditions were excellent and Frank K3SQP was pounding in from Irwin PA.

Joe also looked at the scope pattern, checked the mic pre settings, then did a quick adjustment which improved the audio considerably. This recording is a very faithful representation of his voice. I'd been trying to get it set by reports from others, which tends to be a tail-chasing exercise. Joe simply looked at it, adjusted it, and all was well. Talk about skill - this stuff is all second nature to him, and I am forever in his debt for all the help, advice, parts and gear he has given to me over the years.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WB4AIO
WB4AIO
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 06:28:55 AM »

Just getting caught up but wanted to say thanks so much for cutting that recording, Kevin. Sounds like Joe is right here in the room with me. It really brightened up when you opened the receiver to 20KHz. Listened to some of it at Steve's place but wasn't as focused as now.

There's a bit of a story behind the scenes involving some trimming to the new 40m dipole. Joe had asked if there was anything I needed when he came down - parts, etc. I asked if he could bring his MFJ analyzer along so we could get a look at the 80 & 40m aerials as I couldn't get the 40 to load without arcing on the big rig. 80 was dead nuts on where it was cut for. 40 was, to put it mildly, off a bit. Or a lot, depending how you see single numbers and feet versus inches. After a trimming and hoisting party, it came into line perfectly and this recording was the first successful run of the big rig on 40m. Conditions were excellent and Frank K3SQP was pounding in from Irwin PA.

Joe also looked at the scope pattern, checked the mic pre settings, then did a quick adjustment which improved the audio considerably. This recording is a very faithful representation of his voice. I'd been trying to get it set by reports from others, which tends to be a tail-chasing exercise. Joe simply looked at it, adjusted it, and all was well. Talk about skill - this stuff is all second nature to him, and I am forever in his debt for all the help, advice, parts and gear he has given to me over the years.

You're welcome, Todd. You had an excellent signal into Charlottesville; it was a real pleasure to hear you both. K3SQP was coming in very well too, as you can hear at the end of the file.

With my best,

Kevin, WB4AIO.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015