The AM Forum
April 18, 2024, 12:45:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chris Murdock, WA1HOD, SK  (Read 6376 times)
W1RC
Contributing

« on: February 03, 2012, 12:22:21 AM »

Tim, WA1HLR called me this evening on the telephonium with the sad and unexpected news that CHRISTOPHER L. MURDOCK, WA1HOD, aka "Chris the HODman" passed away suddenly at his home in Clinton Maine on Thursday February 2nd 2012.  He was found in his kitchen by his daughter when she returned home from school.  No other details are known at this time.

Sad....another of the 'Sixties MA AMers is gone.

MrMike, W1RC

"It is a good thing we don't get the government we pay for."  Will Rogers.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 12:34:44 AM »

Sorry to hear of the HODman's passing. And the year has just begun. I apparently missed him at NEAR-Fest recently.

An amusing story comes to mind from Hosstraders at Rainchester involving him, Tim, a 32V and CE-200. I think Brian 'LYD still has the 200.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 08:15:28 AM »

I use to talk to Chris a lot back in the mid to late 60's.  He vanished for a lot of years and I never knew what happened to him. 
I thought I heard him on rather recently but not sure about that. 
Another long time AM'er has passed and as Todd said, its only the start of 2012. 

I will be 60 later this month and in looking at the obits in our local paper, out of the 5 obits listed, 4 of them were folks passing that were younger than I am. 

Live the day like its your last one, since it may be and don't sweat the small stuff.

Joe, W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 08:35:35 AM »

It's really too bad, and Chris was not THAT old (late 50s).  I believe he was having heart problems (and symptoms of problems).  I don't know if any treatment was sought or not.  Very tough on the family, that's for sure.

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
KB1IAW

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 09:46:53 AM »

I just met Chris a few weeks ago at Tim's place and spoke with him again a couple weeks ago on Thom's 2 meter repeater. This is very sad news.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 11:55:47 AM »

I will be 60 later this month and in looking at the obits in our local paper, out of the 5 obits listed, 4 of them were folks passing that were younger than I am. 

Tell me about it.  I'll hit the big seven-oh mark this summer (assuming I make it till then).  Diane is 9 years my junior, and we have both noticed exactly the same thing lately whenever we look at the obits. Rarely are the majority of the listings older than I am, and rarely are there not more than one younger than she is.

She works at a clinic as an RN, and she says it never ceases to amaze her the number of younger people who come in, who are basket-cases medical-wise, many who look like they could be in their 80s. So far at least, we both get regular check-ups and neither of us has any known life-threatening issues at present.

Sorry to hear about Chris.  I hadn't heard him on the air for many years.  Last time, as I recall, he was staying at Timtron's, operating out of the pus-bus and trying to keep from freezing to death.  He  and his (X?)YL stopped by here and spent a couple of days, about 25 years ago, on a trip out to N Mexico.  At the time, he told me about stumbling onto some likely clues of some kind of historic treasure hidden away in a cave somewhere out there, that would make him extremely rich if he were able to find it.  I guess that never panned out.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WA3VJB
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 01:50:22 PM »

Talked with Chris regularly 30 years ago, and I believe I still heard his legacy from time to time, as part of his contribution to memorable classics that include "Squeegee J-S,"  "Pit Stop D.O.,"  "Do you Kung Fu with the Mastah Chu," and other really funny parodies.

Others may recall his role in a number of episodes of long form, on-air programming.
Bacon, WA3WDR

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 06:08:04 PM »

Darn.

Truth can be stranger than fiction.  But fiction can be pretty strange, too!
W4AAB

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 06:51:24 PM »

I guess I am lucky to still be here at 58 1/2. I am hoping to change jobs after I hit 59 1/2 next December(so I can cash in most of 401K to pay this place off). Trying to lose weight and stay active. Losing my mother (at age 83) last fall makes me realize that life is precious. My condolences to the family.
                                                              Joe W4AAB
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015