The AM Forum
May 13, 2024, 08:31:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Value of Rider's manuals?  (Read 2736 times)
W8ACR
Contributing

254W

« on: January 23, 2012, 06:06:42 PM »

I have a chance to buy a set of Rider's manuals, volume 1-21. They are in very good condition. I guess a complete set would include vol 1-27, so this set is not quite complete. I have not looked through them. Do they cover communications receivers, and are they actually that helpful? What do you guys think a fair price would be?

Thanks, Ron W8ACR

The life of the nation is secure only while the nation is honest, truthful and virtuous. Frederick Douglass
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 07:39:00 PM »

The set goes to #23 and there are 3 different #1's plus a 1-5 Abridged version. #23 is the scarcest but strictly to collect. Starting in 1946 SAM's was far superior.

Most usually go for $5-10 each on the radio forums since most of the circuits are now on line and easier than dragging out 10# books.

I paid $50 for it all plus another box of indexes plus several boxes of OEM auto manuals back in the 70's from a store that had closed. Most of it now sits in the attic.

Carl
Detroit47

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 08:14:27 PM »

They are nice to have but you can buy them on CD, and they are easier to use. I have a complete set. But I use my CD set over the paper ones. It's easy for me to set my laptop wherever I am working, without worrying about damaging an old book.

73 N8QPC
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 08:50:01 PM »

I paid $125 back in the 90's for an excellent condition of all 23 Volumes plus an Index book. These work great when customers need clean and readable blown up schematics on many of the early radios. I've never seen a scanned version of Rider's (I've seen several) where a scanned copy of some of the early radios (especially schematics) could be enlarged and read 100%. On many of them the letters and numbers, and even some of the symbols, just look like blobs of dried ink.

If you tinker with radios from the 40's, 30's, or 20's, the set is very useful.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Detroit47

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 08:55:54 PM »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Riders-Perpetual-Troubleshooters-Manual-Vols-1-23-DVD-/200286574170?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ea202965a
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 09:26:09 AM »

I also have a set on CDs. I've had them for quite a few years, think I paid around a C-note for them.  I'd also like to have an original but..................
The CDs take up a lot less space than 24 large looseleafed binders! ! ! ! ! !

I just print out the few pages I need when I need them and discard them when I am done. (or give them to whoever owns what I am working on). That takes up even less room than a laptop.

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 02:14:42 PM »

I've got a few of them here too, Ron. They are nice to have if you use them a lot. Otherwise they take up a lot of real estate and collect dust. There was a time not too many years ago they sold for big $. Lately they seem to go begging. I think $5 each would be a lot to pay in today's world. If I were me (which I try to be most days), $50 for the lot would be about it. It's really an issue of utility determining value. If you enjoy the hands-on approach of old books and manuals and have the space, grab 'em. I've got the first thousand SAMS Photofacts in boxes stored in the garage. Picked them up at a radio auction in 1994 because I thought they'd be great to have. Can't remember ever using one.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015